Zenrat's Flying Circus

Started by zenrat, January 02, 2015, 10:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Coming together nicely  :thumbsup: I was a little "iffy" over the colour scheme initially, but you've converted me  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Glad y'all like it.
All the bits are attached.  She just needs a touch of paint on the nose pitot, some black wash on the wheels and legs, the canopy attaching and a lick of black in the missile exhausts.
Should be done by tomorrow.

Maybe.

I have now finished stage one of the Sea Witch.  Hull and superstructure are complete.
Next stage - Masts!  Woohoo!
Sea Witch WIP 08-07-2020 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Sea Witch is looking good! :thumbsup:

Best of luck with the masts & rigging! :blink: ('coz we don't have a "praying" emoji)

jcf

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 06, 2020, 06:02:00 AM
Quote from: zenrat on July 06, 2020, 04:02:38 AM
All I have left to do is attach and rig the bumpkins (I kid you not, this is apparently a real nautical term)

I swear that the real reason half these naval items have such amusing names is that in the age of sail there was plenty of time to come up with them whilst sailing the Atlantic, let alone the Pacific  :rolleyes:

Bumpkin = boomkin, probably from the Dutch boomken for the same thing, which is the diminutive of boom (tree),
therefore if a large spar is a boom, a small spar would be a boomken/boomkin/bumpkin.

TheChronicOne

I call some of the backwards "redneck" type people around my area "bumpkins" or "country bumpkins" sometimes because their ignorance is cute.

"Blumpkin" is another matter.

Anyway...    Sea Witch is looking damn good and certifiably "nautical" w/ re: aesthetic.  :wub: Have fun with the cob webs...
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

As always, Jon comes through with the goods.  Thanks mate.

My Brother-in-Law, for who I am building the Sea Witch, has a nearly ten year old son who is going to love to get his hands on it when it is completed.  Although if I continue at my current rate he might be old enough to do that carefully by the time I finish it.

Jags done Brad C.  I've started a new thread in the Aircraft section.  Now to press on with the Seafire.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Quote from: TheChronicOne on July 08, 2020, 07:12:52 PM
or "country bumpkins"

Once upon a time a phrase you heard quite a bit in the U.K., nowhere near as much nowadays however. It was never really an insult, but it certainly wasn't a compliment either.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Same here and the way I use it is definitely not normal. In fact, I've rarely or maybe never seen anyone else use it (as I do, with scorn)? Could be my own personal little thing for all we know!  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

Quote from: TheChronicOne on July 09, 2020, 12:04:49 PM
Same here and the way I use it is definitely not normal. In fact, I've rarely or maybe never seen anyone else use it (as I do, with scorn)? Could be my own personal little thing for all we know!  ;D

Bumpkin / country bumpkin has always been a derogatory term;

Quote from: The Phrase FinderA 'bumpkin' was originally the name that the English had for the Dutch, whom they portrayed as small, comic and tubby. The word is derived from either the Dutch 'boomken', meaning 'little tree' or 'bommekijn', meaning 'little barrel' ... The first example in print, by the lexicographer Peter Levens in his 1570 rhyming dictionary, is 'bunkin'. The next attempt, by Lord Windsor in 1658, went like this:

May I not looke more lyke a bumking than the rest.

(and were the good Baron Windsor living today he might want to have another go at that).

'Bumpkin' was the accepted spelling by the 18th century, by which time the term just meant 'stupid fellow'. Bumpkins were downgraded to 'country bumpkins' by Lord Chesterfield in 1774 when he made this observation:

A country bumpkin is ashamed when he comes into good company.
https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/country-bumpkin.html

TheChronicOne

Ha! So I was on the right track all along. That's hilarious.  ;D

I guess it was just co-opted over here or something. Folks around here use it just to refer to a lady/girl dressed up in "country" attire and was basically known as a term for a sweet, innocent "country girl." No derogatory intent although being a "simple" person was implied but it was never an outright insult. They either were unaware of the original intent from hundreds of years ago or intentionally took the term to turn it on its head or something.
-Sprues McDuck-

jcf

Quote from: TheChronicOne on July 09, 2020, 06:43:27 PM
Ha! So I was on the right track all along. That's hilarious.  ;D

I guess it was just co-opted over here or something. Folks around here use it just to refer to a lady/girl dressed up in "country" attire and was basically known as a term for a sweet, innocent "country girl." No derogatory intent although being a "simple" person was implied but it was never an outright insult. They either were unaware of the original intent from hundreds of years ago or intentionally took the term to turn it on its head or something.

The 17th-18th century Dutch vs. English mutual contempt continued in the Americas.  ;D

TheChronicOne

Keeping up tradition is important.  ;D   I'm happy to carry the torch because these bumpkins around here red hat too hard for my liking.
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

"Red Hat" - Not a phrase I have heard before but one with a clear meaning.
And probably not one we should discuss else it gets too political.

Other than a little work on the Victomic I did nothing today other than find the Jag a home on the RAAF whiffs shelf (between a Mirage F1 and an F-15 - shows just how big an aircraft the F-15 is), pack up Dadswell Bridge (takes no time at all - it needs some repairs though) and distribute all the left over Jag parts and weapons into the relevant parts boxes.

Fred