Zenrat's Flying Circus

Started by zenrat, January 02, 2015, 10:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Thanks Chris.
Special Hobby should get the credit.  It's probably the best of their kits I have built so far.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Well done Special Hobby! :unsure:

Nope, doesn't feel right. :-\

Top job on the Seafire, Fred! Looking very good! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Seafire is nearly there.
She needs gloss clear to blend the transfers in followed by satin clear, and the fiddly bits added.
I'm in the process of painting her legs, wheels, UC doors and exhausts and there are a number of small easilly breakoffable parts (pitots etc) that I will leave off right to the end before attaching and painting them.
I painted the canopy frames this morning.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

Is that lovely Seafire one of the ones in the '4 off Seafire' kits that they put out just a while ago?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 13, 2020, 06:04:45 AM
Is that lovely Seafire one of the ones in the '4 off Seafire' kits that they put out just a while ago?

I'm not aware of Special Hobby doing an offer like that Kit.

However Sword did a 5 of boxing just recently.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on July 12, 2020, 04:12:30 AM

Special Hobby should get the credit.  It's probably the best of their kits I have built so far.

Yup, some of their recent new tooling's are as good as most mainstream producers kits. Indeed their He 162 is one of the nicest kits I've built. However it should be noted that some of their new tooling's are still very much limited run, high end limited run, but still. Bit like AZ. Their 109's are top notch, their Hawks need a little more work. Different master makers I suppose ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 13, 2020, 06:08:26 AM

I'm not aware of Special Hobby doing an offer like that Kit.

However Sword did a 5 of boxing just recently.

Oh sorry, that's the one I was thinking of.

I bought one, but it's at home and I can't see that far to jog my memory.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I can't think of anything I don't like about this kit (build wise anyway - I don't know enough about Spits in detail to know if there are any inaccuracies).  Even the separate prop blades are well thought out and easy to fit to their hubs in the correct alignment.

Having said that I just went and read my notes and I wrote "Issues with fit in the following areas.  Windscreen, interior bulkheads, wing upper and lower (due to UC bay walls), lower wing centre section (seat bulkhead needed trimming)".  So it wasn't shake & bake like a Tamiya kit.  However it was obvious what needed to be fettled and wasn't too onerous.  Maybe i'm getting better at this game?

Gloss clear on the airframe this morning.

I found a piece of blue tac in the box , thought "why is that there?" and stuck it back on the big lump on the shelf.
5 minutes later I picked up the clear sprue and thought "where are the lenses for the wingtip navigation lights?" and then remembered I had removed them from the sprue, cleaned them up, dry fitted them and then put them into a piece of blue tac so as not to lose them.

Luckilly i could tell which part of the big lump was formally the piece and they were still embedded in it.  Phew.
Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on July 14, 2020, 05:15:33 AM

Having said that I just went and read my notes and I wrote "Issues with fit in the following areas.  Windscreen, interior bulkheads, wing upper and lower (due to UC bay walls), lower wing centre section (seat bulkhead needed trimming)".  So it wasn't shake & bake like a Tamiya kit.  However it was obvious what needed to be fettled and wasn't too onerous.  Maybe i'm getting better at this game?

Sometimes I think we quite enjoy having to exercise a modicum of modelling skill, adds to the overall experience. Only sometimes mind you  ;)

Glad you found the nav lights, Lady Luck was smiling for a change.

zenrat

We don't make things easier for ourselves by whiffing the things do we.

Fred

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on July 15, 2020, 05:04:58 AM

We don't make things easier for ourselves by whiffing the things do we.

Never a more true statement was said.  :thumbsup:

It's MUCH more difficult doing 'our thing' than it is building a kit OOB, no matter how much extra effort and add-ons you put into one of them! Sadly the 'mainstream' builders can't or won't seem to appreciate that fact.

Come the revolution......  ;D ;)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 15, 2020, 05:08:52 AM

Well it was Bastille Day yesterday  ;) :angel:

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 15, 2020, 06:14:42 AM

On 12th August, one can start shooting grouse.  Does that mean we can start taking pot-shots at Frenchmen on and after 14th July???
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

scooter

Quote from: Rheged on July 15, 2020, 07:55:54 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 15, 2020, 06:14:42 AM

On 12th August, one can start shooting grouse.  Does that mean we can start taking pot-shots at Frenchmen on and after 14th July???

I still want to know why, if its tourist season here in Jersey, we can't take potshots at the tourists?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Nick

Quote from: scooter on July 15, 2020, 10:12:28 AM

I still want to know why, if its tourist season here in Jersey, we can't take potshots at the tourists?

If your tourist season is anything like ours this year, there is nothing to shoot at. But I have asked that at work in previous years and the boss just says "no".