Zenrat's Flying Circus

Started by zenrat, January 02, 2015, 10:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

The Breguet is one of those aircraft that's more attractive to view from underneath and that photo shows that very well.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Maybe.  Here's the top side resplendent in RLM79 Sandgelb.
Breguet 693 WIP 04-11-2020 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Actually, it does look very resplendent in that colour! :o :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on November 04, 2020, 05:28:42 AM
Actually, it does look very resplendent in that colour! :o :thumbsup:

Does indeed  :thumbsup:

Looks a little darker than RLM 79 though to me, more like a light earth ? Mind you if memory serves there were two variants of RLM 79 ?

Just checked my memory (actually my paint stocks) and indeed there was a darker version, sometimes referred to as 79a, which that appears to be. My mind tends to think of the sand yellow version, which was possibly supplied from Italian stocks, as being the classic 79.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

I'm dubious about some of Vallejo's colours but am not that worried.  As we all know colour match is subjective and anyway, if anyone complains i'll show them the label on the bottle.
There are some green splotches to be added but first I need to mark out where the roundels will go so I don't splotch where they will be sitting.
I want to airbrush the splotches but have not had much luck doing such small detail work with it in the past.  I'll have to experiment with paint thickness and air pressure.

Over the last week i've been stripping paint off the body of the Starsky & Hutch Torino.  I had got to the stage of painting it red but was a bit heavy handed (lack of patience strikes again) and the paint (specific colour matched stuff by zero paints) caused the plastic of the body to craze.
I stripped with brake fluid which removed all the red but struggled with the Tamiya pink primer.  The crazing was so bad on the bonnet that I had to use filler as if I had sanded it all back I wouldn't have had much plastic left.  I finished re-primimg yesterday and it's now back to waiting for a warm, non-humid day so I can have another go at the red.

Despite being on leave until Monday i've had a bit less time than usual due to the new pooch.  She's been a bit of a handful at times but that's to be expected as she needs to accept us and settle in and then will hopefully calm down.  There are signs there that she will be a lovely dog.  She is certainly very intelligent.  Patience (there's that word again) needed and then time will tell.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on November 05, 2020, 02:14:27 AM
I'm dubious about some of Vallejo's colours but am not that worried.  As we all know colour match is subjective and anyway, if anyone complains i'll show them the label on the bottle.

Half the problem with Vallejo IMHO is that they have so many variations on some basic colours, but on the up side they have a lot of colours you can't easily get since Humbrol reduced their range. I have a lot of their basic colours but have stuck with Xtracolor and now Hataka for my camouflage shades.

NARSES2

I know you mentioned the Airfix Mag calendar somewhere mate, but the 2021 one will be included with the issue that's published today, which is December's using the daft system Airfix Mag' use.

PR19_Kit

Your Zero paint crazed the plastic?  :o

That's not good news, they claim they are THE best car paint on the planet.

I've got a matched set of their BRM green and orange for a slot racer and I've not tried them yet, so I reckon a test shot is in order.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Despite being on leave until Monday i've had a bit less time than usual due to the new pooch.  She's been a bit of a handful at times but that's to be expected as she needs to accept us and settle in and then will hopefully calm down.  There are signs there that she will be a lovely dog.  She is certainly very intelligent.  Patience (there's that word again) needed and then time will tell.

She'll be worth it mate  :thumbsup:

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 05, 2020, 07:08:00 AM

She'll be worth it mate  :thumbsup:

Absolutely.  And we have to remember that at nine months she's still just a puppy.  Albeit a fully grown one.

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 05, 2020, 05:57:24 AM

Half the problem with Vallejo IMHO is that they have so many variations on some basic colours, but on the up side they have a lot of colours you can't easily get since Humbrol reduced their range. I have a lot of their basic colours but have stuck with Xtracolor and now Hataka for my camouflage shades.

In Vallejo's credit they do seem to be adjusting the accuracy of their colours - I have noticed different names when re-ordering a specific paint code.  Which is OK if i'm restocking because I ran out of 70.123 (say) and want to match what I was using but annoying if I specifically wanted Bonds Singlet Blue (say).

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 05, 2020, 06:11:08 AM
I know you mentioned the Airfix Mag calendar somewhere mate, but the 2021 one will be included with the issue that's published today, which is December's using the daft system Airfix Mag' use.

Yep.  Got an e-mail about it today.  Which is good news as I don't have to worry about finding another.

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 05, 2020, 06:28:57 AM
Your Zero paint crazed the plastic?  :o

That's not good news, they claim they are THE best car paint on the planet.

I've got a matched set of their BRM green and orange for a slot racer and I've not tried them yet, so I reckon a test shot is in order.

Yep.  Modern Revell plastic which was under a layer of Tamiya Fine Surface Primer.  And it was deffo the plastic crazing and not a paint/primer reaction.  I put the paint on too heavily, but still...
First time it's happened to me though.

So, Breguet got splotched today and then cleared.  Transfers tomorrow and I really should get the engines done.
Breguet 693 WIP 06-11-2020 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Fred

PR19_Kit

I picked up the Dec Airfix Mag y'day, and it came with the calendar in the same plastic bag.

The mag's got a Bucc on the front and the calendar's got a Vulcan.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Breguet's looking good  :thumbsup:

Quote from: zenrat on November 06, 2020, 02:02:43 AM

In Vallejo's credit they do seem to be adjusting the accuracy of their colours - I have noticed different names when re-ordering a specific paint code. 

Games Workshop simply change the names of their paints, which are daft anyway *, whilst the colour stays the same. I like their metallic shades but it can be a pain when the name goes from "Boltgun Metal" to "Lead Belcher" for instance and the twerps in the shop neither know nor care.  :angry:

*yes I know they are aimed at wargamers, and fantasy ones at that, but why change them ?

jcf

I believe the Zero are acrylic lacquers as are the Tamiya primers, one of the defining aspects
of a 'lacquer', why dry by solvent evaporation, is that its thinner will dissolve the dried paint
film. My guess is that applying too heavy a wetcoat meant that the Zero melted the primer
and went through to the plastic.

PR19_Kit

Ah, I could be OK then as my usual Halfords Grey primer is an acrylic.

I'll still test it first before using the BRM paint 'in anger'.

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 06, 2020, 11:15:59 AM
Ah, I could be OK then as my usual Halfords Grey primer is an acrylic.

I'll still test it first before using the BRM paint 'in anger'.

The base resin of the Halfords that forms the paint film is an acrylic, but
the resin is dissolved in a mixture of solvents - xylene, 2-Butoxyethanol
and acetone. It is not water-based.

The Zero paints are of a similar nature, except the carrier is a mixture of
a greater variety of active solvents of varying volatility. Which means it
could do the same thing to the Halfords primer.