Zenrat's Flying Circus

Started by zenrat, January 02, 2015, 10:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Melbourne was experimenting with pedestrian crossing repeater lights set into the kerb at crossings.  The idea being that those looking down at their phones would see them.
Not sure how the trial went.

During the comedy festival one year there were people engaged to shout "phone down, eyes up" at those in danger at crossings.

Over the last couple of weeks I have succeeded in getting paint and transfers on the tank and side panels of the Hasegawa Kawasaki KH500 without crazing.  I achieved this using purely Tamiya paints.  I was going to make the final white colour coat Fine Surface Primer with clear on top but then while checking my paint shelves I discovered I had a couple of still sealed rattle cans of Tamiya Pearl White so I used one of them.  It looks good and should look even better once cleared with Tamiya Clear.

Over the weekend I masked (have I mentioned my dislike of masking?) and sprayed some panels on the second of the '60 Chevy Utes.

And also over the weekend I began PSR on the Monogram '39 Chevy Coupe i'm fitting with a Galaxie Models Chevy six.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

zenrat

Felt like rigging a biplane and building a civil aircraft so I pulled something out of the stash i've had in there a while.
It's the Tasman Models DH Dragon Rapide.
DH Dragon Rapide 02 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fuselage halves are curved (I won't say warped as they are both curved the same amount).  I've glued the nose together and will work my way to the back when i've got the interior sorted.
Great box art.
DH Dragon Rapide 01 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Interior floor is not only warped but appears short shot at one end (or it's just been moulded asymmetrically).  It's basically a flat piece so i'll scratch up a replacement.
DH Dragon Rapide 03 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
It'll be in the livery of one of the small airlines that proliferated in the PDRV pre war.

I also tidied my bench and installed a new A2 cutting mat.  Don't worry, it won't stay this tidy for long.
Bench 02-01-2021 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

I got that same Tasman Upgrade kit ages ago, mainly because an RAF Dominie was the first aircraft I ever flew in, and I fancied making a model of it.

Naturally I've never built that model............yet.  :banghead:

But I'll go and check it now to see if it's warped as well. Thanks for the memory jerker Fred.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

I always find with nice new clean things like that cutting mat that I'm concerned about messing it up until the first "splodge" (a technical term) of paint falls on it and then I can't give a monkey's  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

buzzbomb

A new mat... noice !

As you correctly say, will not stay that way for long.. if you are doing things correctly that is i.e. actually using it for building things.

I sometimes wonder at photos you see of "work spaces" that are super tidy and super clean.. what do they do, outsource the building ?

NARSES2

Quote from: buzzbomb on January 02, 2021, 02:12:08 PM

I sometimes wonder at photos you see of "work spaces" that are super tidy and super clean.. what do they do, outsource the building ?

My own view is that some people have the "tidiness gene" and others don't. Also it helps to keep your work area tidy if you are one of those who manages to just work on one model at a time. I admire people who can do that and those who can keep a tidy work area, I certainly can't.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I DEFINITELY don't have that gene!  :-\
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I've already dripped Tamiya Extra Thin on it and removed some of the print.
The new one has a coarser texture to my previous mats.  I feel it may look shabby quicker.
Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on January 04, 2021, 02:57:50 AM
I've already dripped Tamiya Extra Thin on it and removed some of the print.

You probably feel quite relieved at that  ;)

Rick Lowe

Nice to see one of the Tasman Rapides getting to a cutting mat to be built... I look forward to actually seeing one completed.  :thumbsup:

I built a couple of their Oxfords back in the day, and while they were a workout, they did go together and looked good in the end (if I say so myself!).
Just take things slowly and think through what you need to do and you'll be ok. (I had issues, but most of them were of my own making)

Their Airtrainer is also a nice little kit.

zenrat

Quote from: Rick Lowe on January 04, 2021, 01:09:46 PM
Nice to see one of the Tasman Rapides getting to a cutting mat to be built... I look forward to actually seeing one completed.  :thumbsup:

I built a couple of their Oxfords back in the day, and while they were a workout, they did go together and looked good in the end (if I say so myself!).
Just take things slowly and think through what you need to do and you'll be ok. (I had issues, but most of them were of my own making)

Their Airtrainer is also a nice little kit.

I've had this for years.  Thought it was about time I built it.  I need to plan out the order of things to get the interior painted and installed nicely along with the windows.
Fred

TheChronicOne

Oh hell yeah.. civil... airliner... true whif from a universe of your own creation.....   this is going to be awesome! I swear I don't know why more folks don't do projects for stuff that doesn't exist?
-Sprues McDuck-

McColm

You could fit a pair of floats on your model if you have any spare.

zenrat

Good idea Mac but as the engines are on the lower wings I think the props would be a bit close to there water and susceptible to spray.
Fred

Flyer

Quote from: zenrat on January 06, 2021, 02:53:39 AM
Good idea Mac but as the engines are on the lower wings I think the props would be a bit close to there water and susceptible to spray.

I'm sure I've seen a picture of a Dragon Rapide on float's somewhere...

Engines being directly above the float's should offer a little protection maybe...

Or totally wif it and put the lower wings on top  ;)

Edit: https://www.google.com/search?q=dragon+rapide+on+floats&client=ms-android-optus-au&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiJos27pIfuAhWDguYKHVbZAx4Q_AUoAXoECAUQAQ&biw=320&bih=490&dpr=1.5
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.