Zenrat's Flying Circus

Started by zenrat, January 02, 2015, 10:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Much better today.  Could have slept more (listening to 90 km/hr wind gusts in the Gum trees kept me awake) but felt much more my normal self.
So I loaded the trailer and Mrs z and drove to the tip...
...to find it closed due to the high winds.  I suppose that makes sense.  You wouldn't want to be clocked by a piece of someone else's windbourne rubbish.
As you say Brad C, Murphy's Law.

On the modelling side of things I painted the Hilux with some Vallejo Flat Red.  This is Model Color which I thinned with methylated spirits.  This I have found gives very good coverage, dries quickly, and is a complete bugger to clean out of the airbrush.
And the Tank Rod got its rear suspension attached and I started work on the steering mechanism and the exhaust system.
Tank Rod WIP 28-01-2021 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Well, watch for a third instance of ML to occur now. Should be done after 3 and things will get back to "normal."   :rolleyes: ;D

Tank Rod is looking excellent.....
-Sprues McDuck-

Rick Lowe

Yes, Tank Rod is coming along well.  :thumbsup:

zenrat

Quote from: TheChronicOne on January 28, 2021, 12:46:47 PM
Well, watch for a third instance of ML to occur now. Should be done after 3 and things will get back to "normal."   :rolleyes: ;D

Tank Rod is looking excellent.....

Try heavy rain.  32mm by midday.
Shed flooded but i'm prepared for that and everything not waterproof is up off the floor or in a box that is.
I did have to go and see my dentist but even that was hassle free and he complained I was going to put him out of business if I continued to do what I was told.
Didn't try to go to the tip as I suspect it would have been closed due to flooding.

Far too humid to clear coat anything.

I started converting the Meng Hilux to RHD.  First time i've done this with a 1/35 vehicle but the process is obviously the same as with 1/25.  There are number of different techniques.  In this case I am using the "gutting" method - cut away everything except the parts that fit to the base of the windscreen and the front sides of the interior tub and then glue them back in with some extra bits of styrene and lashings of putty.
Pilot Hilux WIP 29-01-2021 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

New printer was delivered as well so once again I can make my own transfers.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

TheChronicOne

3 for 3......    ML is over with for now.  :angel:

LEGO Homie perfect size to work on the stuff.   ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Mowed the verdant grasslands of Stately zen Manor today.
20210131_124930 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Look at the quality of that turf.  Like a bowling green...

It was suitable weather to clear coat so I got the '60 Chevy and the Starsky & Hutch Torino done.
60 Chevy WIP 31-01-2021 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Striped Tomato WIP 31-01-2021 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

I also photographed the Sd.Kfz 251 and the Me P.1099 for the Captured GB.
Fred

PR19_Kit

Is the white stripe on the Starsky & Hutch car all one decal, or a multi-part decal, or paint?

It's VERY well done whatever the method!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: zenrat on January 31, 2021, 02:39:08 AM

Ooo, you have grass.  All we have at Chez Scooter is moss.  Lots and lots of moss, and some (maybe a 25 sq ft section of) grass, out of a quarter acre; the rest is trees- oak and swamp maple.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 31, 2021, 05:30:54 AM
Is the white stripe on the Starsky & Hutch car all one decal, or a multi-part decal, or paint?

It's VERY well done whatever the method!  :thumbsup:

It is indeed  :thumbsup:

Why don't you just invest in a goat ? Could rent it out to the neighbours then  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Thanks folks.

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 31, 2021, 05:30:54 AM

Transfers.  Three white parts with black edging.  One U shaped part from the back of the door, up over the roof and down to the back of the other door.  Two long pointy parts from the back of the doors to the nose.  The U shaped part is a few mm too wide.  There should be red paint visible between the rear wheel arch and the white stripe but if you put the transfer of like that it is too far forward and you lose the space between the stripe and the windows.
Cutting a strip out in the centre of the roof would fix it but I wasn't convinced it wouldn't stand out like a sore thumb and I don't have a spared set of transfers.

Quote from: scooter on January 31, 2021, 06:00:07 AM

Ooo, you have grass.  All we have at Chez Scooter is moss.  Lots and lots of moss, and some (maybe a 25 sq ft section of) grass, out of a quarter acre; the rest is trees- oak and swamp maple.

It's a quarter acre block.  We have trees.  You can't see them in the picture but we have some of the last of the original gums that stood on this land before white man came.  Every few years we lose another despite all our efforts to save them.

A goat wouldn't work as they  eat the plants you want to keep first and only start on the grass and weeds when the rest is gone.
Fred

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on February 01, 2021, 02:57:44 AM

Transfers.  Three white parts with black edging.  One U shaped part from the back of the door, up over the roof and down to the back of the other door.  Two long pointy parts from the back of the doors to the nose.  The U shaped part is a few mm too wide.  There should be red paint visible between the rear wheel arch and the white stripe but if you put the transfer of like that it is too far forward and you lose the space between the stripe and the windows.
Cutting a strip out in the centre of the roof would fix it but I wasn't convinced it wouldn't stand out like a sore thumb and I don't have a spared set of transfers.

Strewth, what a job that must have been!  :o

Are they kit decals or did you print them? Whatever way they are it must have been one heck of a job getting the shape correct!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

A goat wouldn't work as they  eat the plants you want to keep first and only start on the grass and weeds when the rest is gone.

You can always tether them so that they can't get to the stuff you want ?

Shame about the gum trees  :-\

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 01, 2021, 05:31:14 AM

Strewth, what a job that must have been!  :o

Are they kit decals or did you print them? Whatever way they are it must have been one heck of a job getting the shape correct!

Kit transfers.  They actually slipped on really easilly over an application of Microset (? the blue one?).  I think all Revell's decals are printed by Cartograph these days.

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 01, 2021, 06:30:27 AM

You can always tether them so that they can't get to the stuff you want ?

Shame about the gum trees  :-\

It's always sad losing a big old tree but we have planted plenty of new ones.  Just need to wait a while for them to get big...

Completed the chores this morning that I was planning to do when Murphys Law struck - took a trailer load of crap (mostly cardboard and e-waste) to the tip and returned with the trailer full of sleepers to build a retaining wall in the backyard.
Fred

zenrat

Back to work after my two weeks staycation and suddenly I have so much less time to model.

I have been getting a bit in before work but it's dribs and drabs and progress is slow.

I did take delivery of some Vallejo paint and some SMS clear this morning.  I restocked a couple of colours I am almost out of and added Gold and Silver Grey to my range.
The gold is for the upholstery of the Fire Truck Show Rod while the Silver Grey means I now have all three "genuine" (or at least Vallejo's idea of one of the interpretations of it) shades needed for the Caunter Scheme.

1/35 Hilux interior is assembled so I can now finalise the RHD dash conversion.

Dragon Rapide is ready for masking and first stage PSR.

'60 Chevy Ute is nearly complete.

Secret new tool Airfix project is awaiting the painting of three crew members so I can close up the cockpit and then add the nose.
Fred