Zenrat's Flying Circus

Started by zenrat, January 02, 2015, 10:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Neat work mate  :thumbsup: Only another how many to go ?  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 02, 2021, 05:59:33 AM
Neat work mate  :thumbsup: Only another how many to go ?  :angel:

I don't want to think about it.

I did another two lines today.  I'm going to try and tie a couple at the end of each session in the shed rather than just sit down for hours and get sick of it.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

I think that's the right way to do it  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

But, the sooner I finish it the sooner I can start on the next BIG project.  Maybe even the Sky Pirates Airship
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

scooter

Quote from: zenrat on July 05, 2021, 05:18:53 AM
Maybe even the Sky Pirates Airship

Save that for Pirates GB.  :wacko:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

zenrat

Quote from: scooter on July 05, 2021, 06:54:47 AM
Quote from: zenrat on July 05, 2021, 05:18:53 AM
Maybe even the Sky Pirates Airship

Save that for Pirates GB.  :wacko:

If I finish the Sea Witch in time then I will start it for the Pirates GB.  Not sure if I will finish it during the GB though without a loooooooong extension.  My original plan was to use an AMT 1/520 USS Akron/Macon as the gasbag but I am toying with the idea of scratchbuilding something bigger.

Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on July 06, 2021, 04:43:09 AM
My original plan was to use an AMT 1/520 USS Akron/Macon as the gasbag but I am toying with the idea of scratchbuilding something bigger.

Now that's the difference between me and a lot of others on here. My brain doesn't even begin to come up with ideas as to what you could possibly use for such a thing and I admire those who's brains do  :bow:

zenrat

There isn't much to choose from when it comes to scale model airships.
It doesn't have to be big enough to be accurate  (in1/72 that would be huge given the gondola is going to be a pirate ship) but does have to look big enough. 
This for example does not have enough lift, but it looks right.
Fred

NARSES2

Does look right  :thumbsup:

I suppose some kind of Chinese Lantern thing might work, but would be very fragile. I suppose you could use aircraft cellulose dope or banana oil to stiffen the paper up ?

PR19_Kit

A 1/72 scale model of the R100 would be TEN FEET long!  :o

They had one at the Elvington Museum for many years, posed over a 1/72 Wellington to show just how big it was!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

There's been a couple of reviews and builds of some airships in the model mags last couple of months. Airfix Mag had a 1/720 R.33 and there's been some Zeppelin builds in similar scales. I think 3D printing is helping with some of the detail.

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 07, 2021, 10:07:47 AM
A 1/72 scale model of the R100 would be TEN FEET long!  :o

They had one at the Elvington Museum for many years, posed over a 1/72 Wellington to show just how big it was!

At 630 ft a County-class cruiser would only be 8' 9" long in 1/72! :o
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 07, 2021, 06:45:26 AM
Does look right  :thumbsup:

I suppose some kind of Chinese Lantern thing might work, but would be very fragile. I suppose you could use aircraft cellulose dope or banana oil to stiffen the paper up ?

I have it all planned in my head - a styrene frame (discs on a central core with longitudinal strips attached to the edges of the discs forming ribs) over which I will lay tissue paper soaked in PVA (which shrinks and tightens as it dries).
It'll be 3' long at the most.

No modelling today,  But I did get another 1/3 of the Perzebo roof frame up and ready to be painted after work.
Fred

jcf

Something a bit different in the airship realm.

Burney Elliptical Airship.

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/my-new-dirigible-on-pontoons/