Zenrat's Flying Circus

Started by zenrat, January 02, 2015, 10:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

zenrat

An update post.

Sea Witch.  Rigging beneath the bowsprit is complete.  I'm using the thread Lindberg supply, tying the knots and then securing them with PVA when I am satisfied.  It's tricky keeping the tension in the thread while tying the knots (but at the same time not pulling too hard, bending things and causing earlier lines to go slack).  Today I found myself with a pair of forceps in each hand and a torch in my mouth.  I should probly dig out my head torch from wherever I have put it.
Sea Witch WIP 24-07-2021 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Fokker D VII.  Research has shown me that almost anything goes when it came to WWI german colour schemes.  White band is for the national markings.  None of the schemes Eduard offer with the kit had bare metal engine covers but I reckon there is no reason why it might not have been done.  Rudder and elevators are white.  Horizontal stabs are red.  Wings will be lozenge transfers.
Fokker D VII WIP 24-07-2021 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

And finally the Bearcat.  These are aftermarket Sea Fury transfers.  All I can say is that the Hawker is a bigger aircraft than the Grumman (or Monogram/Hasegawa made it too small, or Red Roo made the transfers too big) as I had trouble fitting everything into the available space.  Back story will explain all.
Bearcat WIP 24-07-2021 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

I'm impressed with both your rigging and your dexterity  :thumbsup:

The Fokker's looking good and you are correct regarding colour  schemes each manufacture had their own and that was before the Jasta's got hold of them. One of the manufacturers definitely had natural metal engine covers.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

I've sat the Sea Witch on 2 1/2 litre paint cans to raise it up so the bowsprit is at eye level.  This makes it easier to work on but my shoulders start aching from holding my hands up.
Fred

NARSES2

Yup, our bodies weren't built for this type of thing
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Sea Fury: Length: 34 ft 8 in (10.57 m)

Bearcat: Length: 28 ft 3 in (8.61 m)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

DogfighterZen

That rigging... excellent work on that, Fred!  :bow: :bow:
I've always avoided airplanes that have any rigging to be done on them... :banghead:
Maybe one day i get the courage to do something with a line or two but i don't think it'll be in the near future.
That Bearcat is looking great!  :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

Thanks Womby.  I could have looked that up myself if I wasn't bone idle.

DFZ - thank you.  You should try a biplane.  It's character building (and you might come up with some new swear words).  Thisarvo I started riggings the sides of the bowsprit.  There are three lines per side.  I did one side.
Fred

DogfighterZen

Yup, i believe you, new swear words are easy to come to mind under stress and i'm pretty sure that's how i'd be trying to do some rigging. Tiny PE parts also have that effect on me... :rolleyes: ;D ;D
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

scooter

Quote from: DogfighterZen on July 25, 2021, 03:00:07 AM
Yup, i believe you, new swear words are easy to come to mind under stress

Summers were always "educational" growing up.  My father had his garage out of ours, and the house didn't have a/c, so all the windows were open.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

DogfighterZen

Quote from: scooter on July 25, 2021, 11:44:40 AM

Summers were always "educational" growing up.  My father had his garage out of ours, and the house didn't have a/c, so all the windows were open.

A father's job is to pass on the knowledge to his children, even when he's unaware that he's doing so. ;D

kerick

Quote from: DogfighterZen on July 25, 2021, 02:48:09 PM

A father's job is to pass on the knowledge to his children, even when he's unaware that he's doing so. ;D

So true!!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

The best one is when your dad uses another completely innocuous word to replace the swear word when in range of his kids and those kids grow up thinking (knowing) it's a swear word. Gets some strange reactions in latter life I can assure you  :angel:

zenrat

My father never swears.  Worst I have heard pass his lips is "sh1t" when hitting the back of another car in traffic.

Me on the other hand...
:wacko:

Fred

NARSES2

Dad very seldom swore in front of me, if I'm honest I can't actually remember an occasion outside of a sporting event. My generation unfortunately is/was a bit different. I blame those market traders I used to drink with  :angel: