Zenrat's Flying Circus

Started by zenrat, January 02, 2015, 10:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on August 02, 2021, 05:07:12 AM

I couldn't believe it when in his second run the Aussie Gold Medalist Logan Martin, while in mid air threw his bike away from himself so it rotated 360 degrees in the vertical plane and them grabbed the handlebars and landed on it.  Amazing.

Must admit I was  :o  :bow:

As for BMX's I missed them by about 30 years  ;D Mind you most of us had an "estate" bike we'd made from spare parts for charging around the estate with and some even had "cowhorns" and front suspension. They got some pretty rough handling whilst our "racing" bikes were for proper cycling.  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 02, 2021, 05:02:00 AM

How the heck will you be able to ride it if the lowest gear is bigger than the wheels ?  ;)

The largest chainwheel is a 64 tooth, but it needs to be that big BECAUSE the bike's wheels are so small. The lowest gear will be about a 18" , but whether I'll be able to ride it fast enough in that gear to stay upright is questionable!

You may ask why am I doing it, just because I can............  ;D

Quote from: zenrat on August 02, 2021, 05:07:12 AM

As a youth I put together a six speed set up consisting of a double front chainwheel and a three speed hub.  I used a derailleur to tension the chain but it was locked in position.

Ingenious thinking Fred.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Bearcat is finished.
Back story is half written and I have to knock up a small "Chris" base from a cork coaster.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

My place in history is sealed  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Slightly unfocussed sneak peek.  I still have to finish the back story.
First time I used my static grass machine.  I'm very pleased with it.  Not so pleased with the colour of the sample grass but I do have more I bought separately.

Grumman F8F Bearcat - 14 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

:thumbsup:

Static grass machine ? Please tell more

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 05, 2021, 05:17:46 AM
:thumbsup:

Static grass machine ? Please tell more

I think I once read about this device in a railway modeller's magazine......but I didn't understand it then and I'd like to do so now, please.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Static grass machines are almost de rigeur in the model railway world these days, we've got three of them in our club.

They generate a static charge between the machine and the layout, with the aid of a socking great pin stuck in the layout in our case, and the tiny pieces of pre-cut 'grass' fly down to the layout when you pull the trigger and stick end-on into the layer of glue which you've previously applied. When the glue dries you have very good looking grass all sticking up as it should.

Different colours and lengths of grass are available to suit the scale of the layout or model.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Yep, that's a similar design.  Mine has a crocodile clip on the end of a wire to attach it to the  "ground".

Mine is very cheap looking and flimsy but works, as can be seen above.  It is powered by 2 AA batteries.  I'm sure someone with a basic knowledge of electronics and a working soldering iron which they can find (I have neither) could knock one up quite easilly using bits and pieces.

I have posted a Bearcat thread in the appropriate place.

While finishing off this I have also been slowly moving forward with the BA20 armoured car.  It'll be ready for the final colour coat soon.

I have also repaired the Sea Witch after I broke the Dolphin Striker.  I had to sleeve it with a piece of aluminium tube.  The next bit of rigging requires parts (deadeyes) to be painted before thread is attached to them.  I am doing that.

Fred

NARSES2

Interesting looking bit of kit, thanks  :thumbsup:

jcf

Most of what non RR modellers take for granted in terms of aftermarket decals, photo-etch,
aftermarket detailing parts, weathering techniques etc., basically all the "realistic" modelling
stuff, originated in model railroading long before the flying and crawly thing crowd started
using the techniques and similar products.

Mossie

They can cost a few quid but you can make your own cheaply from an electric fly swatter and a tea strainer.
https://miniaturefortblog.wordpress.com/tutorials/homemade-static-grass-applicator/

I've got the bits to make one, but as usual, never got a round-tuit.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

zenrat

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on August 06, 2021, 11:12:55 AM
Most of what non RR modellers take for granted in terms of aftermarket decals, photo-etch,
aftermarket detailing parts, weathering techniques etc., basically all the "realistic" modelling
stuff, originated in model railroading long before the flying and crawly thing crowd started
using the techniques and similar products.

Well an OO/HO layout is nothing but a large and slightly out of scale 1/72 diorama...
;D

I have begun putting the lozenge transfers onto the wings of the Fokker.  Today I learnt that you should never put a transfer into water too hot to put your fingers into.
Luckilly I got it flattened out again.
I've got the large upper and lower sections in place (more or less - still needs a lick of microsol in places) but there are a million rib tapes in transfer form to put in place on top.
They're like the WW1 equivalent of a Phantom's stencils.

The BA20 got a top coat of paint unifying all the various greens I had used to prepare it.  Not as patchy as I wanted but not bad if I do say so myself.

And, now the Bearcat is finished I have returned to building one of these...

...which I started a while ago before being distracted.
Fred

Nick

Quote from: zenrat on August 07, 2021, 05:58:32 AM

I have begun putting the lozenge transfers onto the wings of the Fokker.  Today I learnt that you should never put a transfer into water too hot to put your fingers into.
Luckily I got it flattened out again.

Yes, room temperature is best. I find that cold water does work but a little warmth helps the transfers slip off the sheet. Something to do with unsealing the glue I reckon.
I use tweezers to pick up transfers, my fingers are just too big. I must have about 5 pairs in varying shapes and sizes.

zenrat

I have a kettle in my shed specifically for producing transfer water (I like it warm).  I usually add some cold to it or let it cool or turn it off before it boils but this time I was lazy and impatient.

Fred