Zenrat's Flying Circus

Started by zenrat, January 02, 2015, 10:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Nick on August 08, 2021, 01:51:36 AM

I use tweezers to pick up transfers, my fingers are just too big. I must have about 5 pairs in varying shapes and sizes.

Snap!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

At that angle w/ that paint scheme the ol' Bearcat bears a resemblance to a SeaFury for sure! I dig it.

This grass machine speak is neat, too... I've been ruminating on set pieces for picture taking lately and this strikes my fancy....   Sorry if I missed one y'alls comments but does the little dust stuff that is used for the grass have to be bought or can it be "made?" At first, I stupidily was thinking the damn thing was like a hand held chopper thing that literally cut tiny pieces of grass to use in dioramas (they have similar crap for making tiny tree leaves)... I quickly dismissed that thought (the picture didn't help, it's as if someone is out on a lawn holding it..and "Lawn Flocking Machine" almost sounds like something some golfer could use to clip a tiny bit of grass off of a putting green to set his ball on or something.....    errr... ).   ANYWAY...  all that was just a brief though that I dismiss almost instantly.... but back to my point: what is the actual grass? Probably something you wouldn't want to inhale!  ;D  The whole "static" way that it goes down is really cool, too.... science! 
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Good question.  I don't know what the "grass" is.  Some sort of fibre.  It is available in various lengths and colours.
All the "grass" in a pack tends to be the same length and colour so for a realistic shaggy looking lawn one should probly mix grasses from different sources.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on August 09, 2021, 04:21:34 AM

Good question.  I don't know what the "grass" is.  Some sort of fibre.  It is available in various lengths and colours.
All the "grass" in a pack tends to be the same length and colour so for a realistic shaggy looking lawn one should probly mix grasses from different sources.

That's exactly what we did at my model railway club. Mixing the various colours and lengths before 'firing' them onto the scenery gives a very good interpretation of farmland or rough cover. I'll try and take some pics of our N Gauge layout tomorrow to show that effect.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Interesting. It's no wonder of wonders that I'm fascinated by this grass stuff. lol 
-Sprues McDuck-

Rick Lowe

Isn't it just regular 'old school' static grass, but made betterer with the aid of (powered) technology?
*In the 'olden days' they used to scatter it over a glued surface and gently blow over it to make the little strands stand on end - as I understand, never having done it myself. (The 'manual method' of generating a static field.)

buzzbomb

Been recently following the Static Grass Applicator chatter.

I have built one of Luke Towan's versions, following his very clear instructions.
https://www.bouldercreekrailroad.com/static-grass-applicator.html

Quite frankly it works a treat.

In fact, most of the tips on Luke's Boulder Creek Railroad site, especially around diorama and base building are just marvellous. He is a go to for this type of stuff.

zenrat

It's just struck me that while the RAAF flew Phantoms the RAN FAA didn't.  I should therefore add one to my build list. Finished, naturally, in EDSG over Sky.
One of the new Airfix ones I think.  I've been looking for an excuse to buy one.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Pellson

Quote from: zenrat on August 11, 2021, 03:57:27 AM
It's just struck me that while the RAAF flew Phantoms the RAN FAA didn't.  I should therefore add one to my build list. Finished, naturally, in EDSG over Sky.
One of the new Airfix ones I think.  I've been looking for an excuse to buy one.

Maybe raining on your parade here, but it seems somewhat illogical that RAN would fly Spey engined F-4's while RAAF flies J79 engined ones. Or should I just shut up..  ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

zenrat

I wouldn't know the difference mate.
I leave that sort of slavishly obsessive nit picking to others.   :mellow:
Fred

kerick

It's all in the back story. RAAF got theirs straight from the US while RAN went a roundabout path and got theirs from the UK. Or something like that. It's still classified anyway. The black helicopters will be here soon.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Rheged

Quote from: kerick on August 11, 2021, 09:51:43 AM
It's all in the back story. RAAF got theirs straight from the US while RAN went a roundabout path and got theirs from the UK. Or something like that. It's still classified anyway. The black helicopters will be here soon.
[/color]

Don't worry,  Whiffworld is a wholly deniable branch of certain ultra secret international government organisations, tasked with (among other things) leaking information and disinformation into the wider world.  The black helicopters are ours!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

scooter

Quote from: Rheged on August 11, 2021, 11:05:43 AM
Quote from: kerick on August 11, 2021, 09:51:43 AM
[/color]

Don't worry,  Whiffworld is a wholly deniable branch of certain ultra secret international government organisations, tasked with (among other things) leaking information and disinformation into the wider world.  The black helicopters are ours!!

Which is why the Londthyrian Confederacy Special Intelligence Branch works their damned hardest to keep the eighth continent of Iuvreon off world maps.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

buzzbomb

It's just struck me that while the RAAF flew Phantoms the RAN FAA didn't. 

To quote another pertinent add.

"Your'e gunna need a bigger boat"

Opens up the opportunity of maybe a Forrestal Class Carrier in RAN Service though

Pellson

Quote from: buzzbomb on August 11, 2021, 04:11:35 PM
It's just struck me that while the RAAF flew Phantoms the RAN FAA didn't. 

To quote another pertinent add.

"Your'e gunna need a bigger boat"

Opens up the opportunity of maybe a Forrestal Class Carrier in RAN Service though

That IS a point, actually. The Spey-engined F-4's had rather more thrust and extendable nose gear legs, allowing operations from smaller carriers - which would allow the RAN to stay with British carriers rather than going full American.

I see this as two separate possibilities.
1: RW F-4E for the RAAF and American equipment (Forrestal/KittyHawk-class CV's, flying F-4J/N/S, or
2: British equipment, using Centaur/Eagle-class CV's and Spey engined F-4's both aboard and ashore, much like the FAA and RAF did in UK. You could even graft on a F-4E nose on a British Phantom just to get the enhanced ground attack capability and the gun..
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!