Zenrat's Flying Circus

Started by zenrat, January 02, 2015, 10:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

More transfers on the Fokker D VII today.  I've got the large lozenge pattern sheets on all the wings and have begun working on the rib tapes.
There is a transfer for each rib (which wraps round from trailing edge to trailing edge) plus one for the wingtip, one for the upper training edge, one for the lower, and four for the ailerons (one on each side).
I misspoke when I compared this to stencilling a Phantom.  It's easier because one doesn't have to constantly check a diagram for the location of each transfer.  One just lines them up with a moulded rib.
Nice transfers too.  Thin but strong, react well to Microsol and release from the backing easilly and quickly.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Glad your making progress with the Fokker  :thumbsup: Looking forward to it
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Fokker progress.

The starboard lower wing now has all its rib tapes except the one on the top side of the trailing edge.  There will also be a Balkenkreuz added at some point. These wings are going to be more transfer than plastic by the time it's finished.

Last night, while walking the dog I salvaged a large storage tub with a broken lid from the neighbour's nature strip.  Today, after repairing the lid (carpet tape is wonderful stuff) I carried out a stash reorganisation during which I found this;
UD-4L Cheyenne Dropship 01 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
UD-4L Cheyenne Dropship 02 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
UD-4L Cheyenne Dropship 03 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
It's the 1/72 Halcyon Aliens Dropship.  I built it when we lived in South Croydon. So that's about 25 years ago.  The transfers have yellowed as has the white paint but it's still hanging together and has survived remarkably well considering how far its come.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

buzzbomb

NARSES2

Fokker's looking good  :thumbsup:

S Croydon 25 years ago ? Now trying to remember if the Blacksmith's was still open, think it was, but time flies  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Kingsdown Avenue,  One of a block of six flats overlooking the Brighton Road and the railway and that weird office building in a roundabout thing.

Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on August 14, 2021, 06:09:56 AM
Kingsdown Avenue,  One of a block of six flats overlooking the Brighton Road and the railway and that weird office building in a roundabout thing.

Ah almost Sanderstead. Didn't tend to go that far south in our trawls as you could soon run out of pubs due to a lot of the land being C.O.E. owned. I haven't been down that far for years, so not sure if that office block is still there, but then Croydon had it's fair share of "weird" architecture. When I started with British Steel it was in the "Thrupenny Bit" Building in the middle of the road by East Croydon, and that's still there.

zenrat

Ah the old Thrupenny Bit building.  I always wondered what was in there.  I assumed it was apartments.
You realise no-one else will have a clue what we are on about.

No modelling today but I did a fair bit Sunday.  Progress is coming along quite nicely on the Anime race car.  It goes together more like a Gundam figure than a model car meaning lots of painting individual components before adding them.  The body is made up of individual panels for example, moulded in colour.  I think that is why it stalled for so long - i needs to get my head around the different technique for building it.  I seem to have it sussed now which is good given I also have the Rally version in the stash and the Marine version on  the way from HLJ.
Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on August 16, 2021, 05:26:12 AM
Ah the old Thrupenny Bit building.  I always wondered what was in there.  I assumed it was apartments.

Nope British Steel had six floors and the rest was Nobel Lowndes - whence it's official name of NLA Tower. Still offices to this day. Can't see it being converted to apartments as the internal shape means there are a lot of internal angles and loads of wasted/difficult to use space. Classic case of putting design before function. Handy for the station though  ;D

Rick Lowe

Haven't seen a DropShip in a while (well, not since I perused that part of my Stash), let alone one built up.

I really should get on with mine...

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 16, 2021, 05:58:13 AM
Quote from: zenrat on August 16, 2021, 05:26:12 AM

Nope British Steel had six floors and the rest was Nobel Lowndes - whence it's official name of NLA Tower. Still offices to this day. Can't see it being converted to apartments as the internal shape means there are a lot of internal angles and loads of wasted/difficult to use space. Classic case of putting design before function. Handy for the station though  ;D

Used to frequent the bottle shop at the station fairly regularly on the way home.  IIRC it was a cut above the usual.
Used to get the bus home from there or a cab if it was after hours.
Or a train to Purley or Purley Oaks when we were down that way.
Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on August 17, 2021, 05:21:02 AM

Used to frequent the bottle shop at the station fairly regularly on the way home.  IIRC it was a cut above the usual.

Station now has an large covered food/booze market area which gets a bit lively when there's any live football on and fairly busy when there's not. Got some good bars including a really good real ale place. Only part of Croydon that's seen any reasonable changes over the last few years.

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 17, 2021, 05:58:33 AM

Station now has an large covered food/booze market area which gets a bit lively when there's any live football on and fairly busy when there's not. Got some good bars including a really good real ale place. Only part of Croydon that's seen any reasonable changes over the last few years.

Apart from the parts that got burnt down in the riots.

Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on August 18, 2021, 04:09:17 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on August 17, 2021, 05:58:33 AM

Apart from the parts that got burnt down in the riots.

Well yes, but only because the council hasn't got around to doing anything  :angel: ;) Reeve's Corner is still missed mind you.

Oh and the buildings between Station Rd and St Michaels Rd West Croydon disappeared in the space of a week a little while ago  :o Guess what the plans are ? Yup, expensive apartments/flats. Croydon's turning into a Dormitory Borough. Sad when you've grown up in it  :-\

zenrat

I wonder if the attraction of high density urban living will fade after the pandemic?

Fred