Zenrat's Flying Circus

Started by zenrat, January 02, 2015, 10:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Thanks Rick.  There's a new thread in the Aircraft section.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

zenrat

Cars, cars, cars today.
Other than some fiddley stuff on the ex Recce Gb mounted trooper (and making a base) I just worked on car models.
I seem to have got some car building mojo back so i am not going to fight as it happens rarely and I have cupboards full of the things.
I'm continuing with a '39 Chevy and an Anime race car i've already started (bo h 1/24). Paint on parts of both today.  I've changed my minion the wheels on the Chevy and it's going to need some bodywork removed for tyre clearance.
I've also started a new car build.  One of the two 1/25 Revell '68 Dodge Hemi Darts in the stash.  The first one will be built as these Super Stock cars were delivered - grey primer body paint, black gel coat on the fibreglass front wings & bonnet, steel wheels, and  sticker on the windscreen saying "intended for use in supervised acceleration trials only".  It should strictly speaking have skinny tyres on the rear but I can't bring myself not to use the big fat drag slicks and cut away the rear bodywork (where Revell helpfully mark it).  Lets say it's a day one modification - not painted yet but gone racing.
Of course they don't provide steel wheels.  Only five spoke mags or stock chrome rally wheels for if you choose to build it as a 440 Magnum Dart rather than A Hemi car.
I had to rummage through a whole heap of kit boxes to find a suitable set. 
However, this did serve to fire up the mojo even more generating some enthusiasm for other new car builds.  A case of "oh yes, I forgot I had that I should build it".

I may have also started a Hasegawa Mitsubishi Raiden since completing the Defiant and the Fokker.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on October 16, 2021, 05:19:31 AM

........ and  sticker on the windscreen saying "intended for use in supervised acceleration trials only".

I love it! Who did they think they were kidding?  ;D

But the Hemi Dart sounds promising, I'll get my burger and Coke and take a spectator seat.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Do you have the Revell '64 Fairlane Thunderbolt to go with the Hemi Dart?

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 16, 2021, 06:05:53 AM
Quote from: zenrat on October 16, 2021, 05:19:31 AM

........ and  sticker on the windscreen saying "intended for use in supervised acceleration trials only".

I love it! Who did they think they were kidding?  ;D

But the Hemi Dart sounds promising, I'll get my burger and Coke and take a spectator seat.  ;)

I think the point was the LO23 Darts were sold without a warranty.  Don't come back and try it on after you've blown the donk racing a Yenko Nova on Woodward...

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on October 16, 2021, 02:30:10 PM
Do you have the Revell '64 Fairlane Thunderbolt to go with the Hemi Dart?

Yes, but an older build that I appear to have no pics of.  It's very yellow and I always intended to put Taxi markings on it.  I have my eye out for another at a sensible price.
I do have a few other built Super Stock cars.
Dyno Don 61 004 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
62 Bel Air 005 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
'62 Pontiac Catalina Super Stock 010 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Color Me Gone II 009 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
68 Mustang 6 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
...and in the stash another Hemi Dart with an aftermarket transfer set, Maverick and Ramchargers '64 Dodges, Dragon Lady '67 Dodge, and Lawman '64 Plymouth.  Always room for more though.

I may have got a bit obsessed today as I spent time shaving off the interior window winders from the interior sides(none were fitted - rear side windows were replaced with lightweight safety glass fixed in place and front windows were operated by pulling straps) and the radio and heater controls from the dash (blanking plates would have covered them).
Body has had all the GSS trim shaved off as well as the front indicators and has had an initial sanding to remove mould separation lines.  There is some evidence of misalignment on the body and the ejector pin marks are larger than I would expect.  This one may have been from the end of the production run - I check the other example I have and it is better.
I've attached the Hemi specific firewall (heater delete plate snd offset brake master cylinder to clear the rocker covers) and the radiator support panel and the body will be ready for primer when I have filled the rather obtrusive bonnet hinge holes which are an artefact of the mould's earlier life as the Revell Grand Spaulding Dodge Mr Norm's '68 Dodge Dart.
Main engine parts are together and have had a coat of pink primer in preparation for some Hemi Orange.

In other news, The Asurada GSX (Cyber Formula anime) build is coming along nicely.  This requires individual parts to be painted as you go.  While the detailing is cartoon like (not surprising give it's origin - and not a problem in my book) the engineering of the kit and the fit is (so far) very impressive.  Everything seems to fit together almost perfectly.
Here is mock up of where I am so far.
Asurada GSX WIP 17-10-21 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
White is unpainted plastic.  Other colours are painted (although it is moulded in colours so this could be avoided).  If I only take away one thing from this it will be how beautifully Mr Color acrylics airbrush if thinned with Tamiya acrylic thinner.

And finally, after looking at last months Airfix mag I was inspired to dig out an Eggplane.   It's a 4D Models knockoff of someone else's J-15 Chinese Navy.  It will be RAN FAA.   I may adapt one of the scooter schemes.
I'm glad the author of the article gives permission to whiff, stating that with an eggplane "one's imagination can be set free to finish them however is fancied".  Although I think they'll find that actually you can do that with any model...
Fred

PR19_Kit

Ooooooohhhh 'Color me Gone'!  :thumbsup:

RESPECT!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 17, 2021, 05:15:46 AM
Ooooooohhhh 'Color me Gone'!  :thumbsup:

RESPECT!  ;D

One of the original Lindberg kits.   AMT have now repopped it.
This was one of the first kits I bought when I got back into the hobby and I am still proud of it.  Decals are yellowing but I think it still stands up.  The blue parts of the bodywork are supplied as transfers but I masked and sprayed them as I had not then discovered Microsol.  Body painted with rattle cans.
Fred

PR19_Kit

It sure does stand up, it's AWESOME.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

I'd never seen that Asurada thing... Now that's a car I'd build, love the futuristic look.  :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

Aoshima have kitted three versions Brad C.
This one (circuit racer), a rally version with more ground clearance, chunky tyres and loads of driving lights, and a marine version with large floats and an outboard motor.
I do have all three...
Fred

jcf

Aoshima also do kits of other cars from the same series, Cyber Formula ZERO.

I have this one Aoi Ogre AN-21 Aeroboost Mode.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10008192

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10008192

DogfighterZen

Quote from: zenrat on October 20, 2021, 03:05:09 AM
Aoshima have kitted three versions Brad C.
This one (circuit racer), a rally version with more ground clearance, chunky tyres and loads of driving lights, and a marine version with large floats and an outboard motor.
I do have all three...

Well, i'd be happy to have the one you're building now but the rally version is probably very cool too. I'll have to take a better look at it... :thumbsup:
Also, i believe that with how much me and Brad speak about our gardening adventures, folks here can easily get confused, and after all, we are probably very similar guys... except for the mustache... ;) ;D
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

Sorry mate.   :banghead:

Jon, I have built these two and have more in the stash.
Stormzender Spiegel HP-022 1 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

PR19_Kit

Contrary to rumours of his death, Ken Tyrell must be alive and well and working at Aoshima.  ;D ;)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 21, 2021, 05:36:55 AM
Contrary to rumours of his death, Ken Tyrell must be alive and well and working at Aoshima.  ;D ;)

Unless they either cloned him or stuck his brain inside an android body.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng