Zenrat's Flying Circus

Started by zenrat, January 02, 2015, 10:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 21, 2021, 05:36:55 AM
Contrary to rumours of his death, Ken Tyrell must be alive and well and working at Aoshima.  ;D ;)

Future GPX Cyber Formula ran on Japanese TV from 1991 to 2000 in five different series. Ken was still kickin'.
;)
There has also been fifteen video games based on the concept.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_GPX_Cyber_Formula

DogfighterZen

Quote from: zenrat on October 21, 2021, 03:11:07 AM
Sorry mate.   :banghead:

No need to apologize, Fred. I think i've done the same thing in the past and i found it funny. :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

Quote from: DogfighterZen on October 21, 2021, 08:36:05 PM

No need to apologize, Fred. I think i've done the same thing in the past and i found it funny. :thumbsup:

It's the avatars.  If they are similar I don't look properly and confuse the posters.

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on October 21, 2021, 05:01:07 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 21, 2021, 05:36:55 AM
Contrary to rumours of his death, Ken Tyrell must be alive and well and working at Aoshima.  ;D ;)

Future GPX Cyber Formula ran on Japanese TV from 1991 to 2000 in five different series. Ken was still kickin'.
;)
There has also been fifteen video games based on the concept.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_GPX_Cyber_Formula

I have not seen any of the anime nor played any of the games.  Every so often I have a look for copies of the anime to download (ahem) but no luck so far.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

DogfighterZen

Quote from: zenrat on October 22, 2021, 02:39:46 AM
Quote from: DogfighterZen on October 21, 2021, 08:36:05 PM

It's the avatars.  If they are similar I don't look properly and confuse the posters.

Good point, i think i may have done the same thing for that same reason. BTW, i've had that one since i joined the forum so it may be a good time to find new one. :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

I think I mentioned somewhere above that I had pulled out a Chinese knock off Eggplane to throw together.
Well these come prepainted.  In this case a rather vivid sky blue which proved not to like being over sprayed with enamel primer.
It also proved to be resistant to caustic soda solution so I threw it into the brake fluid bath.
This shifted the paint after only 24 hours but unfortunately the brake fluid also softened the outer layers of plastic resulting in a softened and smudged and probably not recoverable J-15.
I've been using brake fluid to strip paint from styrene for many years and this is the first time this has happened.  Embrittlement can be an issue if parts are left in too long (we are talking weeks usually) and vinyl tyres shrink but I have never had plastic parts soften.  Resin, yes.  Brake fluid turns it to jelly, but styrene (even clear styrene) no.
I can only assume that whatever this is moulded from it is not the usual plastic model kit manufacturers use.

My car model mojo is still running strong so this weekend as well as progressing with the three cars I am actively working on I started another one.
It's a 1/25 AMT '49 Ford.  I think the moulds for these date from the early sixties with them being one of the original Trophy Series kits.  I've had this one in the stash for a while and the box contains a complete '49 Ford kit (with many optional parts including period custom parts), all the leftover parts from the to all intents identical '50 Ford convertible kit I built many moons ago, and a set of flame masks designed for this kit.
I'm going to build it as a mild custom using only parts from the box (except the wheels - I may have to use other wheels as the AMT supplied tyres are a bit meh).  Today I started putting together the custom engine option (Lincoln V8), glued front and rear custom rolled pans to the body, and began frenching the head and tail lights.

Here's the '50.  Zebra skin upholstery pattern is printed onto paper towel for texture.  I think I might have a go at Giraffe skin for the '49.
50 Ford Kustom 004 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

Quote........upholstery pattern is printed onto paper towel for texture.........

Really? What a clever idea!

Doesn't the printer eat the towel as it goes through, or do you do 'special' things with it/them?

I can see uses for that technique.....  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on October 24, 2021, 04:58:08 AM

Here's the '50.  Zebra skin upholstery pattern is printed onto paper towel for texture.  I think I might have a go at Giraffe skin for the '49.
50 Ford Kustom 004 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Oh that does look neat, although I've no idea which species of Zebra it is  ;) Giraffe skin sounds a good idea, although there's just as many species of those to pick from  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 24, 2021, 05:42:04 AM
Quote........upholstery pattern is printed onto paper towel for texture.........

Really? What a clever idea!

Doesn't the printer eat the towel as it goes through, or do you do 'special' things with it/them?

I can see uses for that technique.....  ;)

I have always felt that paper towel on its own would jam or shred so I tape the paper towel to a piece of a4 printer paper and feed that through the printer.  I have not tried this yet on my new printer.

I have also used this technique to make 1/25 Mexcian blanket.

Fred

PR19_Kit

GOOD thinking there Fred.  :thumbsup:

I'm going to give that a try, not sure what on yet, but definitely worth trying.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I had such high hopes for the weekend just gone.
RDO (Rostered Day Off) on Friday, a no work Satyrday, Sunday, work Monday, and then a Public Holiday Tuesday (today) for Melbourne Cup Day.
Four whole days our of five where I didn't have to go to work.  I should get some solid modelling in I thought.
Hah!  Gaia thought differently and following a storm Thursday night threw a large piece of gum tree at stately zen manor.
20211029_074417 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Could have been worse as none of the roof timbers were damaged, but about 20 tiles were smashed and water ended up running down the walls of the lounge room and the garage.
20211029_110919 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
20211029_104823 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
My Brother in Law came over and helped us cut the bough up and I replaced the broken tiles from the stack left over from the house extension a while ago.  and today I finally finished making good when I went up and repointed ridge and gully tiles where needed.  This being Melbourne by today the temperatures were in the high twenties and I waist danger of getting burnt both from the sun and from the heat of the tiles I was sitting on.
I did s**t like this for a living about 30 years ago and I found its a lot harder to carry tiles up a ladder now.  I ache in new places and I only had to move about 20 tiles!
Anyway, what with the roof repairs, cooking (casserole for a friend who is a covid nurse working huge hours, and dessert for dinner with friends), and halloween I got very little actual modelling done.

Fred

NARSES2

Just glad you and yours are ok mate  :thumbsup:, could of been far worse

Quote from: zenrat on November 02, 2021, 03:45:05 AM
and then a Public Holiday Tuesday (today) for Melbourne Cup Day.

Do you actually get a Bank Holiday for MCD ? State wide or just the city ? I knew it was an important day in the Aussie sporting calendar, but didn't realise it was that important.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Hells bells Fred, that looks a serious 'event'!  :o

Well done for getting it sorted so fast, and I hope there's no long lasting damage, to the house or you!

Regards
Kit

Rheged

That is a most comprehensive stash you have, if it even includes  spare roof tiles.   Congratulations on sorting things out so quickly!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

ericr

ouch !

good luck with the repair

Pellson

Roofs here and there - im mainly pleased that you're ok.

Also, may I applaud the cooking support for your nurse friend. They're putting a lot on the line to keep the rest of us safe during this plague, so that kind of support is very nice of you indeed.  :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!