Zenrat's Flying Circus

Started by zenrat, January 02, 2015, 10:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 13, 2022, 06:17:54 AM
Quote from: zenrat on February 13, 2022, 03:11:35 AM

While doing this it struck me that I could be working my way through my stash much faster if only I could build them OOB instead of having to modify everything.
Where's the fun in that though?

Are you even meant to do that anyway? I know some do, but they're REALLY crazy!

Ain't that the truth! :rolleyes:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Been putting The Goatsucker body back together.
It's going to be shorter this time.
Goatsucker Wreckscue WIP 15-02-22 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Also, on Ratties RCAF Thunderbird 2 thread there is talk of getting carried away with detail.
That happened with the build pictured below.  I call it The Longer Rod.  I spent ages figuring out just how everything would work.  It has working twin axle steering (geometry might be off) and an underslung chassis front and rear (axles mount above the chassis, not below as is usual).  Front suspension is torsion bar which involved kitbashing two rare (at the time - since re-popped) AMT Parts Pack Hot Rod chassis.  The chassis is so long it sagged and I had to insert threaded rod down the middle of the tubes to reinforce it.
Longer Rod 02 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
It's another one scheduled for a redo.  I ran up against a show deadline when I built it and rushed the finish so there is stuff i have never been happy with.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

zenrat

Been putting on transfers.
MiG 17 is a PDRV Republican Guard aircraft.  Alclad is a bit iffy.  I'll crack it one day but not the day I painted this one.  It was too humid which caused blooming.  Some of this polished off but in doing so I polished off the metal effect (polished aluminium in this case) in places.  I'll be adding some camo to partially hide this.  Something added in the field when NMF finished aircraft were posted to forward strips.  Or something.
MiG 17 WIP 20-02-2022 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

And here's the Swift with the inspiration for the scheme.  Finish on this one is better but still has some blooming.  I put on about 50% of Airfixs'  stencil transfers.  I didn't bother with the smaller black ones because they didn't show up when on.  The meatballs on the wings are on the large side but they were all I had.
Suoermarine Swift WIP 20-02-2022 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Flyer

Both look alright to me, I'd be happy if I painted them and that's how they turned out anyhow...  :thumbsup:
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

DogfighterZen

I see what you mean regarding the paint but like Flyer said, both look good and i really like how the Swift is turning out. The meatballs do look a bit big but i think they look good like that.  :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

Thanks guys.

It's another case of the picture in my head failing to match reality.  I used Alclad polished Aluminium and visualised them being really really shiny.

I put the transfers on Milhouse today.  Millhouse is painted with Alclad Stainless Steel which is one of Alclads non-polished finishes so I wasn't expecting the super shine.  This one is also PDRV, but from the brief period between the end of WW2 in 1946 and the start of Victorias' involvement in the Korean War in 1951 where the PVAF roundels contained a yellow star (the star was removed following friendly fire incidents thought to be due to the star in the circle being confused with US markings).

Millhouse WIP 21-02-2022 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Fred

Dizzyfugu

zenrat

Thanks Dizz.
What colour would you paint an early fifties Soviet radome?  I'm thinking a dirty off-white.
Fred

NARSES2

I like the look of that Swift  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Quote from: zenrat on February 21, 2022, 02:40:12 AM

What colour would you paint an early fifties Soviet radome?  I'm thinking a dirty off-white.

I'd go for a medium grey. Somewhere between Ocean Grey and Medium Sea Grey ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

scooter

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 21, 2022, 06:00:11 AM
I like the look of that Swift  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Quote from: zenrat on February 21, 2022, 02:40:12 AM

I'd go for a medium grey. Somewhere between Ocean Grey and Medium Sea Grey ?

Or if it's already primed, leave as is and seal it.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

DogfighterZen

Ya, Millhouse is looking very good indeed! And i agree with Scooter, the radome looks good like that. :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

Thanks guys.
The grey currently on it is my usual primer.  The destructions tell me to paint it white but i was tempted for a while to paint it red and christen the aircraft Rudolph.

I've painted first coat on one wing of the MiG 17.  It's a scheme vaguely based on this.  Topsides only.  I will probably add a second colour.
Fred

DogfighterZen

Quote from: zenrat on February 22, 2022, 02:11:38 AM
Thanks guys.
The grey currently on it is my usual primer.  The destructions tell me to paint it white but i was tempted for a while to paint it red and christen the aircraft Rudolph.

;D ;D ;D

zenrat

Progress.  This took most of my bench time today.
MiG 17 WIP 24-02-2022 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

Old Wombat

I can see how that would chew up a fair chunk of bench time. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est