Zenrat's Flying Circus

Started by zenrat, January 02, 2015, 10:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: scooter on April 01, 2022, 05:55:12 AM
Quote from: zenrat on April 01, 2022, 05:42:41 AM

This leaves me four undersize Sapphires to attach to something inappropriate...

Scaleorama on to a car chassis?

Hmmmmm, I was thinking more along the lines of a biplane but that could work.

Todays bench time got severely reduced due to a visiting niece (jeez but she can talk) but I did manage to paint the insides of the Victor wings black and print transfers for the Pirates builds.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

zenrat

Arrrrrrrrr, here be me jolly rodger transfers...

Pirate Transfers by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

They look good mate, well done  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Our latest printer is fantastic.  It's one of the Epson ones which uses tanks of ink instead of cartridges.  As it came with enough ink to fill it twice i should, at the rate we use it, not have to buy any more ink for about 10 years.

The Jolly Rodgers are simply whichever letter it is in the wingdings font.

Also today I glued the 1/96 Victor wings together and started modifying the donor nose and cockpit.
I shall start a separate thread once I have some pictures of the wings laid out together with scale reference minifig man.
It will be a Handley Page product but I need a name.  Harridan is the first thing which springs to mind...
Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on April 03, 2022, 06:00:33 AM
Our latest printer is fantastic.  It's one of the Epson ones which uses tanks of ink instead of cartridges.  As it came with enough ink to fill it twice i should, at the rate we use it, not have to buy any more ink for about 10 years.

I wasn't aware that type of printer was available. Interesting.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 03, 2022, 06:12:44 AM
Quote from: zenrat on April 03, 2022, 06:00:33 AM

I wasn't aware that type of printer was available. Interesting.

Currently on the Magic Lantern over here:

https://www.epson.com.au/news/press_releases_details.asp?ID=1365&Year=2021

(ads available on YooToob, complete with NSFcommunity centre preamble...)

zenrat

That's the one.  Software is a bit on the irritating side (like Jimeoin) but it prints good.

Monday is my long day at work.  No modelling done today.

Current thought on name for Handley Page flying wing is Harpy.

Fred

NARSES2

That's interesting, cheers Rick.

Prices aren't as high as I was expecting either. Only recently got a new printer and if I don't print much anyway, but it's very much worth bearing in mind when it needs replacing.

Thanks lads  :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

I've had this printer for several years, now;

https://www.epson.com.au/products/ecotank/ET-2650.asp

Printer maintenance dude said to make sure I turn it on, let it warm up, then turn it off at least once a week if it isn't being used; this runs a cleaning/flushing cycle which stops the ink drying hard in the jets & clogging the system up (Don't ... Oh, that's your phrase, Fred! You know where I'm going ;)).

One day I'll buy some inkjet decal paper & see how it goes (I have laser-printer decal paper in stock from the last printer we had).
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

ffr-bel

Hello,

I have two of these printers.
The print quality was excellent, I did print mainly pictures on photo paper.
Both are now unusable.

Just a warning if you want buy one these type of printers (with an ecotank). Turning it on once a week will not be sufficient. You need to print regularly.
Even with Aldi (or Action) photo-paper it quickly became to expensive to run.

On one of the printers you clearly saw where the roller wheels gone over the paper.

I did print decals with it. Don't use paper for laser jet printers. The ink doesn't dry. And you get ink on the next print job.

I used ink-jet decal paper bought at modelling shows. The vendor said to use the same settings that you use with Action photo-paper for the best result. This was good. But the ink is still a bit translucent, even on white decal paper.

PR19_Kit

I've been using an Epson XT-342 inkjet printer for about 2 yrs now, and it uses the (expensive...) cartridges, but it prints EXCELLENT decals on its High Definition level, as quite a few members here know.

I've been bombarded with adverts from Epson about the tank printers for some time now, but I don't think I'll switch.

I also have a HUGE Hewlett-Packard A3 printer to do posters and stuff, but not printed decals with that yet. I'm not sure anyone makes decal paper that big anyway..........
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Milhouse news.  I am so close to finishing this but have struck trouble with the undercarriage.
The main legs are (completely unnecessarily IMO) moulded in three parts each (plus the wheel) and are I doubt they are strong enough to take the weight of the finished model.  Especially given the amount of nose weight in there.
The design is a tubular leg with a trailing arm on the end.  One trailing arm has become partially detached at its pivot and is only held in place by it's shock absorber rod.  I am having trouble regluing it and may have to resort to some very small triangular braces. 
If all else fails i'll close up the bays and put it on a stand, but i'd rather have it on its wheels.

Fred

zenrat

I got some paint on The Goatsucker today.  Italian Red from a Tamiya rattle can.  it ran out just as I finished.
Which is a shame as I still need to paint the firewall.

Speedwagon WIP 24-04-2022 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

I'll hand paint the wooden frame and use transfers for the panels.
Fred

zenrat

I have finally reinforced Millhouse's undercarriage and moved onto scratching and attaching the AAMs.

Weak point was where the trailing arms were attached to the legs (blue arrow).  These were two separate parts with a tiny contact area to glue.  It took me a while to find a solution which was both discreet and robust but I managed it by adding a hydraulic ram made from brass tube (red arrow).  The inboard end of the leg is solidly attached into the UC bay and should not give any trub.Lavochkin La200b WIP 27-04-2022 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Hole drilled in the wing is a pointing point for a hardpoint.
Fred

Old Wombat

Watching & waiting on quite a few builds here, Fred. ;)

Good news on sorting the Millhouse issue! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est