Zenrat's Flying Circus

Started by zenrat, January 02, 2015, 10:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzbomb

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 25, 2022, 10:25:30 AM
Yep, I'd recognise that anywhere.  :thumbsup:

The stand slot in the radiator's a good FROG recco point as well.

I've built 4-5 of them in my time, they always seemed a little less 'brutish' than the Airfix Hurricane of the period.

Almost word for word for my response  :thumbsup:
good ol' Night Reaper

zenrat

Thanks folks.
Another identifier might be that you can see through the undercarriage wells and out of the cockpit hole.

I am toying with the idea of a bubble canopy, clipped wings and "Griffon bulges" -  The Hurricane Mk24.  Last of the line that was developed following the failure of the Spitfire...

Two colours now on the Me 410 and one on the B&V whatchamacallit.  Patchy white primer on the MiG 23.
The box art for the MiG shows it in a pale beige finish which according to the instructions is apparently silver.  I quite like it as the box art shows and am planning all over light brownish grey as a PDRV Defense of the Republic squadron aircraft (second line unit, Republican Guard being the elite).

I went into Hammerbarn (large DIY warehouse) today to get some plumbing parts to make new toy for Charlie the Wonder Dog and while there went to grab some more wet'n'dry only to find no individual sheets on the shelf.  A shelf stacker told me that there was a shortage of the abrasive materials needed to make them and I shouldn't expect to see them back on the shelves anytime soon.  There were packs of assorted grades but none with just 240 in them.  I don't want a mixed pack as i alway send up with grades I don't use so I left annoyed.
Also my favourite grey primer rattle cans have increased in price by 17% which didn't help.
Charlie enjoyed her new toy though.
Which was nice.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on May 26, 2022, 02:44:03 AM

I am toying with the idea of a bubble canopy, clipped wings and "Griffon bulges" -  The Hurricane Mk24.  Last of the line that was developed following the failure of the Spitfire...

I like that idea a lot.  :thumbsup:

Hawker shied away from that development process and went the whole hog on a totally new aeroplane with the Tornado-Typhoon-Tempest-Fury line, and I've often wondered how the Hurricane would have worked out having been much further developed.

Will it have an all metal fuselage as well?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 26, 2022, 03:35:16 AM
Quote from: zenrat on May 26, 2022, 02:44:03 AM

I like that idea a lot.  :thumbsup:

Hawker vied away from that development process and went the whole hog on a totally new aeroplane with the Tornado-Typhoon-Tempest-Fury line, and I've often wondered how the Hurricane would have worked out having been much further developed.

Will it have an all metal fuselage as well?

Yes because i'll end up sanding off all the raised detail when I rebuild the spine behind the cockpit.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat

Another coat of blue on the underside of the B&V whatchamacallit.  Which is actually a Special Hobby Blohm & Voss P.194 and about which a wise man once said "Not as refined as the Revell kit but at least the whole pilot nacelle is the right shape and the jet is big enough.  The cockpit could do with some detail and the BMW 801 engine cowling is best replaced with a spare from the Italeri Ju 188.  Fit isn't too bad"
He was right about the cowling.  I'm using a combination of Airfix FW-190 and Revell FW-200 parts.

Me-410 will need a third coat of RLM71 on the top before I can mask it up for RLM70 splinters.

MiG 23 got more flat white.  This takes forever to dry in the current cold damp climate and so might need to go in the dehydrator tomorrow.

And. I finally dug out the wood panel transfers for the Red Rattler (formerly The Goatsucker) woody.  They were old when I got them and about half of them broke up.  I found some woodgrain transfers from two other woody kits and patched something together.  It'll look like it's had panels replaced with different woods at various times.
Fred

The Wooksta!

I found a SH P.194 in the loft a few weeks back that I'd been converting into a high altitude version - BMW 801TJ, longer wings, etc and all the bits are there - but it'll likely never be finished due to the lifetime ban on doing Luftwaffe again.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Rick Lowe

Quote from: zenrat on May 27, 2022, 06:43:35 AM
And. I finally dug out the wood panel transfers for the Red Rattler (formerly The Goatsucker) woody.  They were old when I got them and about half of them broke up.  I found some woodgrain transfers from two other woody kits and patched something together.
It'll look like it's had panels replaced with different woods at various times.

Good workaround - what various (and more edumacated than me) members would call 'serendipitous conjunction'

The Wooksta!

Hawkers did some design work towards a Griffon Hurricane, but found issues with spar placement affecting the engine, so the whole project got scrapped with the potential of netter performance with the Typhoon.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

zenrat

I suspected they might have looked at doing so.

I did find this.

From Hush-Kit here
It looks a bit too Mustang for my liking and appears to retain a fabric covered rear fuselage.  I want people looking at mine to think "Hurricane" first.

Here's the current state of play with the Me-410.  Note the subtleness of the raised detail.  I'm worried i'll lose it under more paint.  <sarc mode off>
This is the Hasegawa release of the Frog mould.  I also have an example of the Frog release and its raised detail is much less, well less.  I can only assume the moulds were "refreshed" before Hasegawa used them.  I'm glad I left it and made the effort to not sand too much off.  It gives it a nice chunky cartoonish vibe.  It's pretty much box stock so far but will be getting an alternative weapon to the 75mm gun.  Think bzzzzzzzzzzzzzrrrrrrrrrrttttttttttt.
Me 410 WIP 28-05022 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

And the B&V P.194.  This will need a proper number rather than a prototype one.  A quick look here reveals 213 wasn't allocated.  So this will be the Blohm & Voss BV 213.  I was rummaging through the stash and discovered I had done all the hard yards assembling this but then put it back in the box when I got bored with sanding it.  As the wise man (who was Lee) said, fit wasn't too bad.  I have yet to attach the engine.  What looks like an engine front in the front of the port fuselage is in fact the engine front from the kit.  I got my parts confused.  It will have an identical paintjob to the Hornise.  I have been avoiding Luftwaffe builds because I will not put swastikas on my models.  The few I have built I have left them off.  However, Amenofys' Ar-334 (Il-28) gave me an idea - I shall henceforth replace swastikas on the tails with the Hydra symbol.
BV P.194 WIP 28-05-22 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Fred

The Wooksta!

TBH, you'd be better allocating it the number 237, as it was part of a block allocated to Blohm und Voss and was given to a similar design that never entered production.  Simply have the RLM re allocate the number - they did with 162, initially a Messerschmitt aircraft but the number was reallocated to Heinkel for the Volksjager.  163 was also allocated to an earlier Messerschmitt design, but then reallocated to the Komet.

IIRC, the high altitude one I was doing didn't get that far, but there was a maritime recce one with a radar nose that got decalled and varnished and then ditched.  Perhaps I could dig it out and finish it as a captured one with overpainted RAF markings and an Air Min number?

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

zenrat

The Wikipedia page I linked to above lists the BV 237 as being the Blohm & Voss P.177.  But then it's a wikipedia page so should be taken with a pinch of salt.

i'll stick with 213.

I painted the MiG 23 today.  This colour is described on the bottle as Silver Grey.  It is however almost exactly the shade I wanted.  Maybe a little too brown, but it'll do.
MiG 23 WIP 29-05-22 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Fred

zenrat

Fred

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on May 29, 2022, 04:02:38 AM
I painted the MiG 23 today.  This colour is described on the bottle as Silver Grey.  It is however almost exactly the shade I wanted.  Maybe a little too brown, but it'll do.
MiG 23 WIP 29-05-22 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Is that the SMS "British Silver Grey"? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

213 and 410 looking good mate  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Thanks Chris.

Womby - that is Vallejo 71401 UK BSC 28 Silver Grey Matt.   It's one of the recommended colours in some variations of the Caunter scheme.
It's one of those colours which changes a lot depending on the light.  Under my bench lighting it looks green.  It's an ugly colour but i think it suits the MiG.
Fred