Zenrat's Flying Circus

Started by zenrat, January 02, 2015, 10:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Laptop is back in action and i've just written some words.

I'll endeavour to take more pics tomorrow.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

zenrat

I recently obtained a new smart telephone and despite copying lots of files over managed to lose all the records for the Hobby Color Converter App I use to keep track of all my model paints.
So this morning I spent most of my bench time re-inputting all the colours I have (except, I have just realised, my one Hataka colour set).

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat

Day off today so I put off all my chores and spent it all at the bench.

Other than the GB builds and the Harpy I made a start on an Airfix Vampire T11.  Given it was a new mould when I bought it i'm surprised at the size of the ejector pin marks and the sink marks in the flaps (obviously on the top so they are most visible).
I also spent time on some car builds.  The Red Rattler is progressing nicely and I got it up on its wheels today.  This made me realise it needs running boards fill the gap between the front and rear guards.  So I found a pair from a Monogram '39 Chevy and made them fit.
I've been attempting to build a more fitting "up-top" for the Pirate Car.  I built a frame from styrene rod over which I am laying PVA soaked tissue.  The plan being that it will tighten up as it shrinks as it dries.  Well it worked too well.  The drying tissue distorted the plastic frame and it no longer fits the car body.  Plan B is to make the frame from wire soldered together.  I just need to find some suitable wire.
And I mad major progress on the '57 Chevy Gasser/Street Freak scratching up some engine mounts for the Super Duty Poncho donk.  As you can see from the pic below it's significantly setback (front of the block is now approximately where the front axle line was) which required a recessed firewall.  I have also already replaced the front of the chassis with a pair of straight rails to take a straight axle.

57 Chevy WIP 5-8-22 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

And, I picked up the Steyr Thingumajig Armoured car again.  It has absolutely no interior but big cooling flaps at both ends which give clear views into the completely hollow interior.  I'll box over them inside and put some black painted sponge there but need to paint the insides of the cooling flaps area before I do that.  Which I did today.
I know I complain about massively over detailed kits with too many parts but it wouldn't have been beyond the realms of possibility for Hobby Boss to have provided a couple of simple plates with moulded in engine relief to block these areas off.

Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on August 05, 2022, 05:47:11 AM

I know I complain about massively over detailed kits with too many parts but it wouldn't have been beyond the realms of possibility for Hobby Boss to have provided a couple of simple plates with moulded in engine relief to block these areas off.

I think it's especially noticeable nowadays when companies seem to skimp the "basics" , whereas once upon a time of course it was the norm.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 05, 2022, 06:27:10 AM
Quote from: zenrat on August 05, 2022, 05:47:11 AM

I think it's especially noticeable nowadays when companies seem to skimp the "basics" , whereas once upon a time of course it was the norm.

Yeah, it seems they are one extreme or the other.

They're probably leaving the interior blank for a resin aftermarket set (from an affiliated company, of course!).

zenrat

Here's a mockup of the '57 on it's wheels.
57 Chevy Brainstorm WIP 14-08-22 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
I spent a good portion of today sorting out those wheels and tyres.  This is always the most time consuming part of a build as getting wheels and tyres and axles from different kits to fit together is rarely easy.  It took far bit of rummaging in the wheels boxes to find suitable backing parts for these front wheels.

I also got this out of the stash with the intention of starting it.  I want to enter it in next years Ballarat show (late May) special theme class.  Theme is 25 and entries this time must be 1/25 scale and built OOB.
This is the second release (1967ish so its as old as me).  Box is slightly worn but all parts are still on the sprues and it even still has the foil.  I'll never get another one this good for under $150 but I bought it with the intention of building it and so I shall.  Slowly and carefully.
Jo-Han Chrysler Turbine Car 01 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Jo-Han Chrysler Turbine Car 03 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Jo-Han Chrysler Turbine Car 02 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

PR19_Kit

LOVE the stance of the '57 Chevy.  :wub:

I've got a Turbine too, but not sure which edition it is. Fascinating car, but difficult to Whiff.

It may even be IMMORAL to Whiff one of course.....  :unsure:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Drop in a Hemi.  Back story would tell how while Mopar did not continue with the turbine engine they recouped their investment by selling the Ghia designed cars with conventional motors.
And then you also have a turbine engine to put in something unsuitable...
Fred

Old Wombat

I just love the Old School parts list that tells the builder exactly what it is they are assembling! :thumbsup:

With all the hyper-detailing of modern kits, it'd be nice if they still did this but, as few of the kit makers have the faintest interest in, or knowledge of the product they are making a representation of, I doubt it will ever come to be again. :-\
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

I learnt all my basic automotive engineering knowledge from model cars.
Fred

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on August 14, 2022, 05:07:22 AM

Drop in a Hemi.  Back story would tell how while Mopar did not continue with the turbine engine they recouped their investment by selling the Ghia designed cars with conventional motors.

I LIKE that idea, good thinking Fred.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Steel Penguin

i am looking forward to this build with baited breath,  its not normaly anything that would catch me, but wow!

please soon,  but evan more please, slowly and carefully    :thumbsup:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 14, 2022, 05:55:12 AM

Do they make kits of an Imp? :wacko:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 14, 2022, 05:17:02 AM
I just love the Old School parts list that tells the builder exactly what it is they are assembling! :thumbsup:

With all the hyper-detailing of modern kits, it'd be nice if they still did this but, as few of the kit makers have the faintest interest in, or knowledge of the product they are making a representation of, I doubt it will ever come to be again. :-\

I think lots of us back in the 60's learnt what various bits of aircraft were called from the parts lists. Impractical nowadays, at least in print and probably on-line as well, because of instructions to be "multi lingual" I suppose ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: scooter on August 14, 2022, 06:01:06 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 14, 2022, 05:55:12 AM

Do they make kits of an Imp? :wacko:

George Turner does a lovely resin slot racing Imp, but it's 1/32 scale. A bit small for that 1/24 turbine. :(

Here's the one I built as my drag racer from the n60s.

Regards
Kit