Zenrat's Flying Circus

Started by zenrat, January 02, 2015, 10:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

I found this on Google maps.  It's a Yak 28 at Rogachovo Military Airfield.
Rogachovo Military Airfield by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Took me a while to work out what it is as the nacelle visually blends into the fuselage giving the appearance of something with inlets on the sides just below the cockpit.
Lovely long pointy nose.  I have an A Model Yak 28.  I  must dig it out and see if I feel up to its challenge.  I built one once before.  The nacelles were oval in cross section.  Not necessarily a problem except when as in this case one had the long axis vertical and the other had it horizontally.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

You'd have to be one Hell of a pilot to pull off a landing on top of a semi-ruined building like that! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

I can see what you mean about the nacelles "blending" into the fuselage. Certainly shows you how long the nose is/was. Look a lot more "modern" with a shorter nose.

Quote from: zenrat on August 22, 2022, 03:47:23 AMLovely long pointy nose.  I have an A Model Yak 28.  I  must dig it out and see if I feel up to its challenge.  I built one once before.  The nacelles were oval in cross section.  Not necessarily a problem except when as in this case one had the long axis vertical and the other had it horizontally.

I've a fair few A Model kits in the stash of very interesting subjects and every now and then I get them out, offer them a few words of reassurance to let them know they are not forgotten and then put them back again. :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I've got that kit too, and I'll be 'exploring' its box pretty soon for some parts for a stalled Whiff............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 22, 2022, 04:41:05 AMYou'd have to be one Hell of a pilot to pull off a landing on top of a semi-ruined building like that! :thumbsup:

"Just tap on the brakes"
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

zenrat

I have this one.  Fantastic box art.
Yak-28RR by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Which I got out today.  The plastic feels very greasy so it's currently sitting in a tupperware of WUL/Bleach solution to remove any mould release.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Old Wombat

The gate guard is a Yak-28P interceptor (NATO: Firebar).

The kit is of the ECM version Yak-28PP (NATO: Brewer-E).

Yak-28
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

It will get a new, longer, radar nose.
Fred

NARSES2

The box art makes it look as though each aircraft has a different angle of wing sweep. Indeed the rear one may even have slightly longer wings, it could be the "Yak 28 PP KIT" version I suppose ?  :angel:

Maybe a swing wing version ?

Most of my A Model kits are of WWII or earlier kits
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 23, 2022, 06:12:10 AMThe box art makes it look as though each aircraft has a different angle of wing sweep. Indeed the rear one may even have slightly longer wings, it could be the "Yak 28 PP KIT" version I suppose ?  :angel:

When, or if, I build mine it will DEFINITELY be that version.  ;D

And I have the A Model Mandrake kit as well.......................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I currently have the sprues spread out on kitchen towel to dry.  They look good considering the manufacturer.  Much better than the same manufacturers Yak 38 I also have in the stash.
My notes for the 38 just say "Horrible".
My notes for the 25PP say "Its a bit flashy, has no locating pins (as expected for a short run kit) and was slightly sticky (I am assuming that was mould release, but who knows with a second hand kit - maybe the previous owner really really liked it a lot...) but the parts look good with engraved detail and no immediately apparent sink marks or obviously placed ejector pin marks.  Clear parts have rather faint framing but are very clear and not overly thick.    After building the 28 R I said "not as terrible as expected to build but still not shake & bake.  A "challenging" kit.  Fit needed work.  Filler was required.  Nacelles were slightly different shapes in cross section.  Instructions are unclear in places.  Clear parts fit is poor."      Possibly build it with a solid nose and single seat canopy as an interceptor."

Here is the A Model Yak 28R
Yak 28R PDRV 1 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

NARSES2

That's a good useful review mate, neat model as well  :thumbsup:

zenrat

Finally finished my working week at 1300 today and managed to get to the bench by 1530.
I've put the now less sticky feeling Yak 28 parts back in the box for the time being but given i've now finished the Delta Lightning I feel the urge to begin something new.
I have been working on a RW (ish - it's getting SNEB pods instead of tanks) Vampire in a Jordanian AF scheme.
DH Vampire  WIP 27-08-2022 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Also the Turbine Car.  Starting with the engine.  It has a heap of chrome parts some of which I will dull down.
Chrysler Turbine Car  WIP 27-08-2022 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

And the Steyr Pushmepullyou.  I think I mentioned earlier that it wasn't a good ideas to follow the instructions and glue the doors on before joining the upper and lower hull parts and that I wrecked the lower ones removing them.  Well i've made some new ones.  Which to be honest wasn't difficult.  At this stage finished scheme will be blue.  User will be a police force.
Steyr AGDZ WIP 27-08-2022 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Fred

Captain Canada

Interesting stuff. You've got me thinking of those old Yaks now. I love the look of the Vampires so far.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?