Super Etendard Ideas

Started by FAR148, January 04, 2015, 06:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FAR148

Quoteland-based Super-Es, possibly with different noses and avionics fits, in service with France, Italy, Germany, Greece, Turkey, Portugal or any other NATO member. Maybe the RAF could have taken an Avon or Spey-engined version with a UK nav/attack system as a Hunter replacement instead of the Jaguar?

I like this idea. :thumbsup:

QuoteTest and evaluation

That could be fun :thumbsup:

Keep them coming!
Steven L  :cheers:

Jesse220

Why not make it a swing wing fighter?

Captain Canada

Finnish. Grey and white and all dirtied up from beating up the sea....

:tornado: :wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: pyro-manic on January 10, 2015, 09:30:19 AM
<...> or civilian aggressor, like the BAE Skyhawks in Germany?

Oooh! I like your thinking!  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Geoff

Anyone with Mirages and a coastline.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

pyro-manic

Quote from: Geoff on January 15, 2015, 01:10:39 PM

It's not nice, discriminating like that. I know some lovely Swiss people!
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Jesse220

Weaver

Quote from: Geoff on January 15, 2015, 01:10:39 PM

Actually, if you've got Mirages and want an Exocet capability, it makes much more logistic sense to buy Mirages with the Exocet/Agave combination: it was available on the Mirage III/5/50 and the F.1. That way, you're only servicing and supporting one airframe type with a variety of avionics fits. The only thing a Super E brings to the party that a Mirage F.1EQ doesn't is carrier capability, and the market for that is very limited.

It would be more likely for Dassault to sell Super Etendards to a customer with a coastline, but WITHOUT Mirages, for whom converting their existing aircraft to carry Exocet would be more trouble that buying a fleet of Super Es. A good candidate might be a former Soviet client that's gone western: the Tu-16 Badgers and their AS-5 Kelts have gone back to Russia with the "mercenary" crews that flew them, so now they need an off-the-shelf anti-ship capability. Another possibility might be a country with American hardware who've been denied Harpoon by the US for political reasons, or with planes like the F-5 or A-4 where adding Exocet capabilty would be complicated and expensive for a small number of airframes.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Cobra

The Super Etendard would be More of Use to the US Navy than the USAF, I Could hear some Air Force General ask,"What? use a French Navy Plane for Our Air Force? What were they Smokin when they Came Up with That Idea? Ask The Navy if They're Interested in that Plane." Don't mean to be a Doofus about it. Dan BTW, I Think a Super Etendard in US Navy Markings would be a Cool Profile to see.

zenrat

Suely, give the ways of defence procurement, the USAF is exactly where they would be likely to end up?

Might look good with a marines paint job?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

What if the USN had gone with the 1970s idea of small "Sea Control Ships" (i.e. small ASW carriers) but decided that STOVL was unworkable and made them a Clemenceau-sized CATOBAR design instead? If they had, then it might have ended up as a joint project with the bigger NATO nations and that might have lead to France getting the contract for the strike aircraft, so you end up with Super Es in US, UK, French, Spanish, Italian (possibly Dutch?) markings.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

DarrenP

what if royal navy had kept albion, bulwark and centaur and converted them back to conventional carriers? could Super etendard haver operated of them?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: DarrenP on January 17, 2015, 05:07:39 AM
what if royal navy had kept albion, bulwark and centaur and converted them back to conventional carriers? could Super etendard haver operated of them?

Maybe. The Centaur class ships were only a little smaller than the Clemenceau class, and the Aeronavale operated their SUEs off them satisfactorily.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit