Super Etendard Ideas

Started by FAR148, January 04, 2015, 06:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

I found some neat RL Tiger meet schemes.

Another option might be to give it delta wings and a USAF paint job and see if you can pass it off as a Delta Dagger/Dart variant.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 17, 2015, 06:02:18 AM
Quote from: DarrenP on January 17, 2015, 05:07:39 AM
what if royal navy had kept albion, bulwark and centaur and converted them back to conventional carriers? could Super etendard haver operated of them?

Maybe. The Centaur class ships were only a little smaller than the Clemenceau class, and the Aeronavale operated their SUEs off them satisfactorily.

I'd say pretty much certainly with a suitable refit, given that Hermes operated Sea Vixens, Scimitars and Buccaneers, all of which are heavier than a Super E.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Those "snow tiger" Etendards look damn fine!  :wub:

I'm not generally a big fan of this aircraft, but that scheme makes them look very tasty indeed.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Have to agree with Weaver they are superb and naval tigers as well  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

FAR148

Quote from: Weaver on January 18, 2015, 07:25:42 AM

Totally agree but I hate, HATE shooting white paint.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: FAR148 on January 24, 2015, 02:34:32 PM
Quote from: Weaver on January 18, 2015, 07:25:42 AM

Totally agree but I hate, HATE shooting white paint.

A pity you can't get Halfords Appliance White out there. And we can't even send you a few cans either.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Only two years late....

Make the two-seat Etendard that never was by grafting a Mirage IIIB nose onto it. The Etendard and Mirage fuselages are near identical so it should be relatively easy.

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

How about a Mirage F1B nose? Are the fuselages a match with those as well?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 12, 2018, 11:06:44 PM

Don't know, but they look pretty close.

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on February 13, 2018, 01:05:58 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 12, 2018, 11:06:44 PM

Don't know, but they look pretty close.

When I get home from the far north I'll check, I've got F1s coming out my ears just now!  :o

Regards
Kit

Scotaidh

I know that the USN has used IAI Kfirs as Aggressors in their Top Gun school.  Here on the east coast I know of three privately-held aircraft that hire out for what's known as "Difference Training" - a DH-100 in Swiss markings, a Fouga Magister, and a MiG-15UTI.  The first two are natural metal finish; the MiG is eye-bleeding red.

My point is that as an aggressor you could paint it anything, from tiger meet to monochrome to splinter .
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Weaver

Leptiprince already did the Etendard two-seater: http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,44436.msg786359.html#msg786359

Of course, you could do it differently: he went for the Mirage 2000's GIB-in-place-of-a-fuel-tank approach, but the alternative is to stretch the airframe and lose the radar, Mirage IIIB/D-style.

- Indiana Jones

Jesse220

Would a forward swept wing Super Etendard work?

Weaver

Quote from: Jesse220 on February 17, 2018, 02:31:44 PM
Would a forward swept wing Super Etendard work?

No more or less well than a forward-swept wing anything else, I'd imagine. The problem with forward-swept wings from a modelling point of view is finding one with the right aerofoil cross-section: you can't just turn a backwards-swept wing round the other way...

- Indiana Jones

Scotaidh

[quote
No more or less well than a forward-swept wing anything else, I'd imagine. The problem with forward-swept wings from a modelling point of view is finding one with the right aerofoil cross-section: you can't just turn a backwards-swept wing round the other way...
[/quote]

And, if you just cut the wings off at the root to make them sweep forward, you'll find you just lost 20-30% of your wing length.  Trimming the tip's to match the sweep angle exacerbates the problem. 

If you then extend the tips out the results are wings that are the correct length but absurdly narrow.  Since the real-world problem with forward-swept wings is tip-flex causing catastrophic flutter ...

I did once put forward-swept wings on a 1/48 Hornet, and I had to make completely new wings - the only original kit wing parts used were the strakes and the under-wing pylons and stores. 
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."