Back to the Shak

Started by Captain Canada, January 04, 2015, 09:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzbomb

I always get a warm fuzzy feeling whenever I see rivets like that.. a fond call of youth, the days long past.

Hmm the swepc wingy concept looks tasty

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 05, 2015, 02:08:02 PM
<...>
<...>

Somewhere in that pic there's a cool Nimrod flying wing.  :wacko: Could be prop-driven.... Maybe with a bit of Shack fuselage...
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

Kit was right ,the Nimrod wing does look tiny against the Boeing 747.
A Nimrod-Shackleton sort of what came next. Swapping over the wings on both models. Straight forward on the Shack but a little tricky on the Nimrod.

Captain Canada

Still plugging away at this one. I don't want to start anything until it's done. I hope to have a good session or two this weekend. A few pics tomorrow for ya !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

Nothing to report. The Silver Stick tournament is in town, so I've been a rink rat in between working and taking my son to his own hockey. Pics tomorrow tho....I promise ! Maybe  :thumbsup:

I am thinking of the final scheme tho. If I find some yellow RESCUE decals in the stash, I may make it a naval reserve SAR bird. We'll see.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

Got some work done on 'er today. The drying time for gloss yellow is soooo long it kinda screwed up the progress. Oh well, there's always tomorrow !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Gloss yellow, no matter which manufacturer, always seems to take an age to dry for some reason. Best use matt yellow and a coat or three of Klear/Future.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Ya I probably would have been better off that way. I did put a coat of Humbrol matt 24 yellow on first, as a base for the 69 gloss. The problem with doing that ( instead of a clear gloss ) is that it now looks opaque, and will need a second coat of model delaying drying time. Well, that and the fact that I can't find any suitable decals !

Truth is, I was spoiled by this old tin of yellow, that was given to me from an estate. Who knows how old it was, but it was the best tin of yellow ever ! That's why I still have it, in the model paint Hall of Fame.

:thumbsup:

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Blimey, the 'chequered tin' Humbrol paint goes back to the 60s!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Right, when painting yellow - spinners, prop tips etc, I undercoat in pink. For some reason it works really well  :blink: I read this somewhere and went "yeahhhhh, that'll work, won't it". Anyway I tried and to my surprise it did.

One note. I've only done this with matt yellow, not gloss
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Which pink did you use Chris?

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

But the tin says it only takes 1 hour  :thumbsup:

I'll have to try that pink trick as well

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Librarian

Gloss red, yellow, black etc drive me nuts outa the brush-can. Wherever and whenever poss I use the rattlecan now; soooo much quicker to dry.

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 25, 2015, 06:49:24 AM
Which pink did you use Chris?

I just mix it mate, no particular blend just red & white until I have a small amount of pink. Probably 50/50 ?.

The only pink in the paint stash is a desert pink or two.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.