Harriers for the RN and RM

Started by TallEng, January 08, 2015, 10:54:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TallEng

I expect some of you will remember this picture from a week or so ago,

Well i've been working on the Harriers,
first up the early Harrier for the Royal Navy
I've added a radar nose and "Tallerised" (TM) the fin to take account of the extra side area of the radar nose.

With weapon load.

And the Royal Marine Harrier?
Well that too has gained a radar nose, which I've rounded off (courtesy of a Hunter)
at the moment its still in sand and spinach camo. I'm just wondering if I should leave
it as it is? and just repaint the nose.
or hand it back to the RN and give it some kind of Air superiority greys scheme

thoughts comments etc...

Regards
Keith

The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

sandiego89

Like the taller tail on the RN version. 

As for the RM version, that weapons load out looks very much air superiority and I doubt our WHIF RM's would be doing much of that mission.  You already have a RN version so I vote keep RM with the sand and spinach with a new load out

So I'd say keep the paint (something different is always nice) and change the ordinance to a mud moving mission: gun pods, rockets, mavericks, bombs, CBU's smart bombs, napalm, etc depending on your time frame, etc. (not all at once).  

-or

Change the paint to RN or RAF for an air superiority mission and load out.

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

NARSES2

Have to agree that if the RM's had their own air support it would be support orientated.

Please keep the camo thogh, it looks great
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Harriers ? Did someone say Harriers ?  :wub: :wub:

Nice work on both. Love the new tail and pointy nose. Going to look super sweet all painted up.

As for the RM version, I like the idea of keeping her sand and spinach, and just painting the nose. Could either be a development bird or one fresh from conversion that hasn't been to the paint shop yet. I like the weapons myself, if you're going to have a big honkin' radar like that, you might as well be ready to use it ! Besides, if they were sharing deck space with RN birds, wouldn't they be sharing the air superiority role ?

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

DogfighterZen

To me, the Navy one looks better than the RM because of the pointy nose, but the idea and the work done are excellent on both!  :bow:
:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

McColm

There's an article in Scale Aviation Modeller International Vol 20 Iss 11 November 2014. Page 1044.
Lots of photos of the F/A.2s, portfolio of the FRS.1-FA.2, scale plans in 1/72 and 1/48. I like the Whatif markings of the Australian Air Force taken from the A-4G scheme applied to the FRS.51

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

rickshaw

Quote from: Captain Canada on January 19, 2015, 07:27:10 AM
On ARC http://www.arcair.com/Gal11/10601-10700/gal10620-Harrier-Lee/00.shtm
"What are they gonna do?  Send me to Afghanistan?"

Silly boy, one should never tempt fate.  There are worse postings than Afghanistan.  There are always worse postings.  The Gods that be in Russell Offices are both jealous and wrathful!   :blink: :blink:

I suppose he could be made Air Defence Officer, Davis Station, Antarctica with special duties concerning monitoring the Penguin population with daily, weekly and monthly returns required...    ;D ;D
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

TallEng

Royal Navy Harrier update time ;D

too many projects on the go :rolleyes:
so I jump from one to another....

Thoughts etc?.....

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

sandiego89

Quote from: TallEng on January 22, 2015, 02:59:01 PM
Royal Navy Harrier update time ;D

Thoughts etc?.....

Like the color, markings and the radar nose!  Your chosen weapons may dictate placement of stores and if/where you can carry fuel tanks.   Move the fuel tanks to the inner wing stations if you have a normal weapons fit.  First generation harriers nearly always carried fuel tanks on the inner wing stations, weapons on the outer stations..unless you have some unique item that needs to go on the inner station, or an asymmetric load like a sea eagle one side and a tank on the other side.  WE177 was an inner store.  Something big like a sea eagle may call for an inner wing store, but not sure you would have the weight allowance for two big missile and two tanks.  May be one or the other.  Two sea eagles and two tanks might be too heavy for a realistic fit.  Two sparrows would be nice, but likely best on the outer stations.    

Gun pods or strakes on the belly?  Needs one or the other.  If you have weight concerns, go with strakes.  

Looking good!  
Dave "Sandiego89"

TallEng

Thanks for the thoughts Sandiego89 :thumbsup:
My initial idea is 2x Sea Eagle/Martel in the inboard pylons. Why?
Because that's where the Test Harrier is shown carrying them in this book
Which I'm using as the reference/idea generator  ;D
'First Generation Harrier In Worldwide Service Volume 1: 1960-2000'
And the drop tanks go on the outboard pylons, to give the range.
Strakes under the fuselage due to weight concerns  :o
Rough back of the fag packet sums (Wikipedia weights :o)
Sea Eagle = 580kgs x2 = 1160kgs, 100gal Drop tank 380kgs (fueled up) x2 = 760 Kgs
Which together = 1920 Kgs rounded up = 2000Kgs
Combat radius: 230 mi (200 nmi, 370 km) lo-lo-lo with 4,400 lb (2,000 kg) payload.
The only thing I haven't got is a guesstiweight for a radar? Blue Vixen weighs 145kgs
But entered service in 1979, I need an earlier service entry date, say early 70'ies so
I guess 200kgs might be good for an early version of Blue Vixen (blue Fox?)
It kind of works with the weights? ;D :cheers:

Regards
Keith

Captain Canada

She looks really good in that colour Keith ! Weapons fit sounds about right. And we all know that feeling of too much on the go.... :banghead:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sandiego89

Quote from: TallEng on January 23, 2015, 02:21:51 AM

My initial idea is 2x Sea Eagle/Martel in the inboard pylons. Why?
Because that's where the Test Harrier is shown carrying them in this book

Roger, all the photos I am aware of show Sea Eagles on the inner pylons of a Sea Harrier, and no tanks on the outers. I do note one picture of a single Sea Eagle on one inner station, and a single "tank" on the opposite outer pylon on a test harrier, undoubtedly as a counter weight.  If not weight, perhaps a clearance issue?  Perhaps not enough clearance between the Sea Eagle fins on an inner store station and a tank on an outer station?  Sea Eagle has a pretty big span.

Not sure if Sea Eagle had to be on a (sea)Harrier inner pylon for circuitry reasons, or weight/center of balance purposes, or both.

May be the camera angle tricking me, but perhaps you have a 190 gallon tank on the outer station?  

Please take all this as general discussion- WHIF on!    
Dave "Sandiego89"

Gondor

Quote from: sandiego89 on January 23, 2015, 07:23:53 AM

Roger, all the photos I am aware of show Sea Eagles on the inner pylons of a Sea Harrier, and no tanks on the outers. I do note one picture of a single Sea Eagle on one inner station, and a single "tank" on the opposite outer pylon on a test harrier, undoubtedly as a counter weight.  If not weight, perhaps a clearance issue?  Perhaps not enough clearance between the Sea Eagle fins on an inner store station and a tank on an outer station?  Sea Eagle has a pretty big span.

Not sure if Sea Eagle had to be on a (sea)Harrier inner pylon for circuitry reasons, or weight/center of balance purposes, or both.

May be the camera angle tricking me, but perhaps you have a 190 gallon tank on the outer station?  

Please take all this as general discussion- WHIF on!    

I don't think that the outer pylons are plumbed for tanks.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

sandiego89

Quote from: Gondor on January 23, 2015, 08:38:22 AM
Quote from: sandiego89 on January 23, 2015, 07:23:53 AM

I don't think that the outer pylons are plumbed for tanks.

Gondor

Think you are correct.  For a first generation (sea)harrier, only inner plylons plumbed, outers and centerline dry.  

I have a reference showing a Sea Harrier (essentially the same wing as a GR1/3) being able to carry a 100 gallon tank on the outers pylons as well, but for logistics only (dry carriage)          
Dave "Sandiego89"