Xain JH-10 (Chinese copy of the Panavia Tornado)

Started by Jesse220, January 10, 2015, 04:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

It's a big bird! Trumpeter does one, has some serious whiffing potential... Got a conversion on the agenda, too.  ;)

kerick

If that's not a copy of a Phantom canopy then I don't know nothn'.
Off to find the Trumpter kit.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Weaver

Quote from: rickshaw on January 12, 2015, 10:27:10 PM
Building a slightly more accurate FH-7A from the Trumpeter kit (which appears to have all the same problems as the FH-7).   :banghead:

That build is about making a JH-7A from the old, highly inaccurate FBC-1 kit (no.1608). There's now a new tool JH-7A out from Trumpeter (no.1664) which owes nothing to the old tooling and which seems to be much more accurate.

Review and build of the new kit: http://www.jeffhead.com/modelbuilds/Jh7a.htm
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 14, 2015, 11:55:03 PM
It's a big bird! Trumpeter does one, has some serious whiffing potential... Got a conversion on the agenda, too.  ;)

If it's the old FBC-1 kit that's been around for a while, then you might want to read the review/build/correction article that Rickshaw posted. The old kit has serious accuracy issues, to the point where it would look ridiculous even if you didn't know what the real thing looked like. I had plans to whiff one but gave up when I took a good look at it, and I now intend to get the new one at some point instead.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Weaver on January 15, 2015, 03:03:34 AM
If it's the old FBC-1 kit that's been around for a while, then you might want to read the review/build/correction article that Rickshaw posted. The old kit has serious accuracy issues, to the point where it would look ridiculous even if you didn't know what the real thing looked like. I had plans to whiff one but gave up when I took a good look at it, and I now intend to get the new one at some point instead.

Inaccuracies won't matter anymore when I apply the saw...  :wacko:

BTW, I have the FBC-1 kit in store.

Jesse220

Sounds like the JH-7 would be a swing wing jet

Weaver

Quote from: Gondor on January 12, 2015, 03:06:06 PM
Another problem the Chinese would have is the manufacturing of the swing wing as so far none of the aircraft they have built use this type of wing so any Tornado like aircraft they build would probably have a more basic form of wing sweep such as used by the MiG-23/27 and the Su-17/20/22 family where little or no hard points are carried on the wings.

Gondor

Perhaps that would make a good back story as to why they licenced the Tornado, i.e. failure to develop the technology themselves?

- Indiana Jones

Geoff

Perhaps an initial pre-production batch to get the experience same as they did with the carriers?
Also if you look at the Mig-21s the initial batch were straight mig-21F13s. They got modified slowly with each generation. They also built a small batch of a copy of the Mig-21MF (J-7IV) which did not give what they needed and wasn't developed further. So anything from a straight Tonka to a radical redo is reasonable.