HMS Earl Grantham

Started by JoeRugby, January 14, 2015, 01:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeRugby

Started life as the old Pyro Bon Homme Richard.  What is shown here are the cannon and carronade masters turned from 1/8" brass rod which will be cast in resin.

From left to right they are an 11mm 18# cannon, which is too large for this project - the second is 9mm and will be the main armament and the third is a carronade which measures about 5mm.

There will be 30 long guns and I think 8 carronades in total.

I have also planked the hull with bass wood strips, a photo to come soon, and will be scratching wooden plank decks as well.  The stern has a five window gallery, which still needs the panes installed, but the guns will come first.

ALL BLACK - ENOUGH SAID !!!

sandiego89

Bring it on!  Not many wooden ship WHIFs.  I don't have the rigging skills or patience.  Looks like you will busy a variety of mediums in play. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Captain Canada

This sounds good. Did you turn the brass masters yourself ?

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

JoeRugby

Yes I turned them myself.  I used 1/8 brass rod but in the future will go larger, need more detail. 

JoeRugby

Here are some very early progress pics...very rough before final smoothing and staining and sealing the parts to be stained and sealing the parts to be painted.

Started life as the Pyro/Life Like Bon Homme Richard.

The Dremel cutting wheel came out and the beak head and break water were cut away as was the stern gallery.

The deck is pitched in the circular file and planking begun.

Scale is completely out the window, everything being made to look to scale using the Mk. I eyeball

nighthunter

Ah, the balls to the walls style modeling. Not courageous enough to try it myself, but kudos to you for going there! I, for one, enjoy the sail era. Hope she comes out as you see her in your mind's eye!
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

JoeRugby

The exterior planking is completed and the work on the gun deck and interior planking has now started

Joe C-P

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

JoeRugby

Thanks kindly...

The decks are made by gluing strips together then cutting to the correct shape.

I have begun cutting the gun ports as well as some of the finer detail...

The figurehead is a modified figure from the Lindbergh Jolly Roger kit.  The gun ports are a bit difficult to get, so I am filling with small strips of bass wood.  The white stuff is Testors putty.  I works well for this as I can get in the with a Q Tip and rubbing alcohol to clean it up.

Captain Canada

I love how realistic it looks already. Especially for such a wee piece !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

JoeRugby

Thanks Cap...

The cannons are coming along slowly, have 5 of the 16 cast in resin.  Will make the mold for the carronades and quarter deck long guns tonight.  I am working the backstory for this as well.

JoeRugby

The masts have been stepped and the main deck is being fitted.  The stern is in progress, due to the way the assembly is progressing I painted the stern first.  A bit concerned that it looks a bit like Disney...the detail on the stern is built up carpenters glue then painted to resemble relief carvings, more to be added to be certain.

Captain Canada

It's a bit colourful but I wouldn't go as far as Disney ! Once the rest is painted up and more and more bits go together I'm guessing it will blend right in. Nice work btw !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

JoeRugby

Thanks Cap'.

I have been working on the main decks, adding the bulwarks.  The foremast may be raked a bit too much so that is in process of being fixed.  Pictures probably before the close of the week.