ECTO 1 ,,not anymore .

Started by Wardukw, January 27, 2015, 09:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

WARNING : MASSIVE PHOTO CONTENT   <_<

ECTO 1  ,,the main ride of the Ghostbusters .
I built one for a friend many many years ago straight from the box but the moment i started to work on it i have plans for one of my own ,,but the price was nuts at the time and i wasnt rich enough to get it and after a while i just forgot about it .
Then donkeys years later at one of my fav model shops i was out back yapping away and what do i spy on a shelf..ECTO 1 and with no wheels ,,thats all thats missing and for my plans ..perfect ..a deal was done and i started work on it that night.
Now this was no easy build,,the front and rear suspension is molded into the chassis as well as most of the interior .
So i had to build a completely new front and rear suspension which meant cutting and cutting and more cutting to remove everything i didnt want or need .
Heres the pics to show you guys what was involved and the results ..
First what she looks like now on her wheels ..

When i built the front suspension i wanted this to sit low and i got that just right with its 19 in front wheels .

Now the front suspension .

Now the rear ..

Interior ..

Now the thing which is the main attraction ..the engine ... big block supercharged with NOS ,,built from nothing but parts from other kits ..this i am super happy with ,,its big and mean looking ,,the leads are solder and so are the water lines and headers .
The blower belt tensioner is custom made as are the mounts which holds the HT leads,the NOS lines are fuse wire .

Test fitting the engine .oh i had to buy a entire model car just for that brake booster .

Threw some paint onto the front end and now it needs to be repainted as one of my cats knocked it off a shelf and broke the entire front off ,,you can see the area where it broke about half way between the fire wall and the radiator panel.

With the engine test fitted again now that the steering is mounted .

Scratch made mufflers ..

Scratch made radiator

And now with the body in place ..

More to follow ..

Phill

If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

You know, some people are just insanely good at what they do. :-\

You, my son, are one of them! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Terrific work there, especially on a sow's ear of a kit.  :thumbsup:

On a pedantic note, won't you need a Watt's linkage or similar to stop the rear axle going sideways though?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Cool.
Are you going to use the 6 inch thick kit "glass" with the horizontal line moulded down the sides or make your own?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Wardukw

Thanks a heap for the comments guys ..makes me want to finish it now   ;D

Guy .. Cheers mate ,... makes me feel good reading comments like that  <_<

Kit ... Oh you bet there will be a Watts in the rear of this but its not there yet  <_< ,,i am still working the undertray to clean it all up before i build the mount for it .

Zenrat mate i am going to leave them there ..this was a ambulance and i'm not going to completely remove that part ,,i am even leaving the step on the rear bumper ,,for now  :lol:

I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

A nod to it's past eh?

I have one of these plus a couple of the Monogram '59 Caddy kits and one day i'll find time to make them fit together (it won't be easy).

I've just noticed the accessory drive outboard of the blower drive.  Something the kit manufacturers always seem to neglect when putting a blower on an engine (that and the magic floating alternator).
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on January 29, 2015, 02:52:42 AM
(that and the magic floating alternator).

That'll be the one supported solely by its own drive belt, yes?  :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Oh hell i always hated that lack of attention ...things like that do not float in mid air  :lol: that and the blower belt tension pulley ,,they never include the mounting bracket so of course i had to build that ..pedantic for the best reasons here ...detail dudes ..detail  <_<

Captain Canada

Wow ! Great job...especially in all the details ! The engine really looks good, and I love the header pipes. Nice touch with the mufflers and tunnels as well.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Wardukw

Cheers Cap'n ,,oh there is still a heap more detail to go on that engine yet and still a heap on the under side too ,, gotta clean the hell out of it and make it smooth but realistic .

Wardukw

Decided to throw some paint on this thing ...just to see what else i want to do to the paint ... thinking a matt black stripe down the side ...breaks up some of the green .

Phill

Go4fun

Oh that is just a bel ringer. I found a good trick is to use gloss black paint on all the side window posts. I did that on my real station wagons and it was like a visual chop on the top. "How much did you take out of the top?" was asked at many a gas pump.
"Just which planet are you from again"?

zenrat

Yep, thats green.

Hot pink flames or 80's style graphics?
Fred

Mossie

Maybe Slimer got hold of it???
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

buzzbomb

Really nice detail work.
If there is one thing in the modelling world about which I know nothing, it is automobiles.

But I reckon I can spot  A1 modelling.. and here it is. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: