ECTO 1 ,,not anymore .

Started by Wardukw, January 27, 2015, 09:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Righto then plans have changed and for the better i think.
Im going to buy next week a pro street Chevelle two door and its cheap and this will be so good.
I scored a monster of a engine for it and im going to turn it into a tube front end and lower the car.
Yep its not a station wagon but its long and low.
Many thanks to Fred for his build which changed my mind  ;D  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Wardukw

OK if this isn't bloody  typical  I don't know what is..sitting right now on the shelf at my favorite LHS is a Cadillac  station wagon with a surf board on the roof for the lovely price of $102.00 NZ .
Even tho it won't cost me that much the temptation is overwhelming as im still annoyed at loosing that model.
The thing is I've now got most of the things I'd need to rebuild ECTO .
They way it's going in my head right now this is going to need some serious thinking.
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

It's not worth it.
That's the same kerbside kit with the same all moulded in one chassis and the same crappy scale 3 inch thick clear parts.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Pellson

Watched the latest ghostbusters film with the kids the other day. Good throwback  :wub:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Mossie

I've just seen this one for £30 on UK eBay by it now, might be worth enquiring on postage to NZ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374273674169?hash=item5724730bb9:g:RUoAAOSwfj1jMHiy
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Wardukw

Fred mate that's what was told too..it's still the nasty POS Kits it's always been but today's  choices are not there and I know what I'll have to do..same as the old ECTO but better  ;D

Pellson I've got all the Ghostbusters  movies except  part 3 which is just terrible..the new one is a great ride and even better news..there's going to be a part 2  ;D  :thumbsup:

Mossie that's a good find but ..and yup the butts there..£30 is only $57nz which is sweet but the problem is is no longer available hahaha..bugga

Rick Lowe

DUKW-dude, check out this:

https://www.toyco.co.nz/jada-124-ghostbusters-ecto-1-801310997314

It's not perfect, but it may be a cheaper starting point for you? (though 'cheap' is relative, of course...)

Wardukw

Hahaha ...it's out of stock Rick and metal..the hood and doors open tho so that would be cool  ;D
But gentlemen I have news and its great news ..in the not to distant  future I will be getting my hands on one and it's only going to cost me postage thanks to my primary sponsor Zenrat  ;D
ECTO 2 is going to be reborn and it's going to be even meaner ..better built and the engine is going to be pure mental ..total show car and this new engine will be to be honest what I had in mind for ECTO 1.
Course I won't say doo doo about it yet as once I've built the new front end I'll need to see if the idea will work..I think it should .

Rick Lowe

Oops, my bad - I'd missed that wee detail... sorry bout that.  ;)

Never mind, you have what you need incoming, so that's the main thing.

There are a lot of diecasts out there though, and they can be a viable alternative if the kit isn't around at the time - or if there isn't a kit at all... but you already knew that.  :thumbsup:

zenrat

I couldn't let you pay through the nose.
Just promise me you won't blow this one up...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Mossie

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on September 25, 2022, 12:57:04 PMMossie that's a good find but ..and yup the butts there..£30 is only $57nz which is sweet but the problem is is no longer available hahaha..bugga

Bugger, must have sold shortly after I posted.  :banghead:

It might be worth looking at UK & US eBay, they occasionally come in at reasonable prices, even after shipping it might be worth it.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Wardukw

Quote from: zenrat on September 26, 2022, 04:31:43 AMI couldn't let you pay through the nose.
Just promise me you won't blow this one up...
Hahaha. .. oh I can absolutely  guarantee this one won't go bye bye dew to the rapid expansion  of air and gas  ;D
This one will live for many yrs longer than the last one  :thumbsup:
Well it will live before I kill it and then give it life again  :wacko: ..weird thing the paint I used on the original I can't seem to find now..I think it was Tamiya metallic  lime green..I'll have to do a rehunt of Tamiya paint catalog.

Rick and Mossie mates ill bet its one of those cases ..when you looked they were there and me wanting another so badly it's like the universe knew it to so of course they'd sell  ;D
Do I believe in that stuff..nope  :lol: but hell it's strange how you two blokes found these and then Fred offers me his..hmmmm  :unsure:
It's like ECTO is ment to be rebuilt guys.

Rick Lowe

"Okay, okay - I can take a Hint when I'm bludgeoned repeatedly with one!"
Courtesy of 'Clue-by-Four' Enterprises...

Wardukw

I found the paint...it's Tamiya Candy Lime Green and I have a can and ECTO2 will be green again ...ive tried to imagine ECTO in different colours and looked at quite a few real cars and other models ..blues..reds..one in orange  :o ...bright orange..a very bright orange ..one colour which I did come across alot was black..all shades of black ..so nope ain't doing that...don't get me wrong I do like black cars but for some reason not on this one.
There's a right way and a wrong way for colour choices and dark colours for this car don't work ..don't know why ..could be it's to big..well long ..very very long ..a two tone would work which is why ECTO 2 is going to be two tone...Candy Lime Green and chrome sliver .

Wardukw

Right ...this was a surprise...I was looking over the body shell today and the rear bumper.
On the kit it has a step which is the same width of the car and it looks terrible..so I decided that it can't remain and has to go bye bye.
Jumped into Google to hunt down pics of the right and proper bumper and came across a quite large surprise.
The rear bumper is completely wrong for the car and I mean ECTO 1 and 1a ...I even got pedantic enough to flick thru the movies and see and yup ..AMT got it totally wrong..I saw more than enough of the car in the google  search from the original car from 1984 and the 1a version from part 2 of Ghostbusters..not once does the kit bumper show up..it has a much smaller step under the license plate and that's it.
I don't know where AMT got their idea from but man it's liked they guessed it.

I've brought new tyres for it as I don't have any drag slicks big enough for the car..dew to its immense size it had to have the same as ECTO1 had..it looked stupid with a smaller wheel.
I tested fitted the 20in wheels on it for the front and Fred had mentioned to me that he didn't like large rims with skinny tyres and when I test fitted them on ECTO he's dead right..they look bloody horrible..so I nicked the tyres from a set of 18in wheels and bingo  :o
Larger side walls looks ten times better ..im happy now.