Aoshima – 1/32 – Sileighty

Started by Paul, January 28, 2015, 06:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

Hi all!

It's my first "in progress" thread, so I beg your pardon in advance if I made some mistake. Please, feel free to tell me your thoughts about my building.

The model kit I will build is the SILEIGHTY from Aoshima, on 1/32nd scale. "Initial D" Special Edition. It will be a What If, because I will not paint the model as appears in the show or as I saw in dozens of pictures (in/on/at) WWW. (I never remember if I use in, on or at when talking/writting about Internet)

SILEIGHTY is a Nissan 180SX with a Nissan Silvia's headlights, front fenders, hood and front bumper.

The SILEIGHTY, also written SIL80, originated through early street racers in Japan. When their 180SX had their front ends damaged, they replaced the parts from Nissan Silvias. These parts were lighter and cheaper. These end user modifications inspired a Japanese auto shop, Kids Heart, to produce a small number of só-called "official" or "real" SILEIGHTYs. It is on record that 500 cars were made and sold by this shop in 1998. Theses SILEIGHTYs had their performance improved by a stiffer suspension system, plus 6 PSIs in the Turbocharger and a new ECU, resulting in 230 HP against the 205 HP from the 180SX.

Here I go! The box art is inspired in the show (anime):

The frame is not like the real car. They were made to hold the two batteries to the engine. Clearly, it's a model kit for the kids (as I am a 44 years old kid):  ;D

Tires, wheels and other metal parts:

The body and the "glasses" (windshield, windows) that are a single part:

The decals:

Instructions in japanese and english:

Here, one of these real machines:

Cheers!

Paul.

Paul

This morning I applied the primer in the wheels. It's Mr. Surfacer 1000 airbrushed. The wheels will be white.

Hobbes

Cool stuff. I'm looking forward to seeing this finished.

Wardukw

I like this ..mainly cause a mate and me put a RB 26 into his one  <_<
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Paul

Thanks Hobbes!

Wardukw-NZ, RB 26? The Nissan six cilinder engine? Which version? The 3.0L?  :o

Captain Canada

Ya nice one !  Always cool to see some auto builds, always seem to learn something !  The real thing looks pretty hot as well.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Wardukw

Paul ... RB26 is the twin turbo engine from the giant killing Nissan GTR ,,this one came out of a dead R33 GTR ,,the 3 ltr is the RB30 .

The next car of his we going to play with is his 93 Toyota Supra ..we going to put a LS 6 in it ..just waiting for the engine to shipped from the states .

Phill
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Paul

Thanks for your comment Captain Canada! On YouTube we can find some cool videos about this car. There are some crazy Drift Races videos.

Phill, The GTR 33 engine in a Sileighty... Coooool! Did you drive the little rocket?

This building is going really fast. Well, up to now. I think the next tasks will demand more time.

Here the wheels in gloss white. There's no great diferences to the previous picture... it's everything white. The tire are "slick", I give them a little sand just to take off the shiny look.

It's possible to change the position of the front wheels:

The front set ready:

The rear set:

I didn't use the metal parts from the electric system. Now they are spares to some future project.

Old Wombat

Nice build, so far, Paul! :thumbsup:

I know 1/32nd is a traditional (vehicle) scale but I wish the car model manufacturers switched to 1/35th when the armour kits wandered into that scale, especially as many of them make armoured vehicle models in 1/35th!
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Paul

Quote from: Old Wombat on January 30, 2015, 06:33:54 PM
Nice build, so far, Paul! :thumbsup:

I know 1/32nd is a traditional (vehicle) scale but I wish the car model manufacturers switched to 1/35th when the armour kits wandered into that scale, especially as many of them make armoured vehicle models in 1/35th!

I agree. We cold build a lot of cool dios! Scenes mixing the military and civil lives would be easier to create.

The car was painted with Humbrol 011. Now I don't if the "Sil" is from Silvia or from Silver.  ;D

Paul

Sunday's progress...

Front and rear decals applied:

Area close to the windows painted in black:

Windows installed:

Some black to have a felling of "depth":

A liiiight wash in the doors and hood "slots":

It's almost ready...

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I just checked back and saw the window glass came 'pre-darkened'. That's pretty neat!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Paul

Hi!

Thank you all for your views and comments.

It's ready!

Cheers!

Paul.