Two seaters versus single seaters

Started by PR19_Kit, January 30, 2015, 10:57:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

It's often been a watchword of mine that two seater derivatives of some aircraft look a loot better than their single seater originals. On the other hand some are a lot worse, the Lightning being a case in point. Of course this is all very subjective but I'd be interested in the opinions of others on this stuff. Proposed two seaters that never got built are allowed in the list.

2 seater looks better than the single seater

Su-27
Skyhawk
F-106
F-100
F-86
Harrier
Mirage F-1

2 seater looks worse than the single seater

Lightning
Typhoon
F-102
Mig 15
Attacker
Scimitar
Mig-29

Neutral

Hunter
F-105
F-9F
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

GeorgeC

Some of those 2-seaters we so ugly Supermarine couldn't bring themselves to actually build them so you must be right!  Not sure about the Harrier though, having to stick all that 'boom' out the back stops it from looking 'right' to me...

darthspud

2 seater Spitfire?
I really just don't know.
too old for a paper round, too young for me pensions, dammit, back to work then!

sandiego89

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 30, 2015, 10:57:05 AM
It's often been a watchword of mine that two seater derivatives of some aircraft look a loot better than their single seater originals. On the other hand some are a lot worse, the Lightning being a case in point. Of course this is all very subjective but I'd be interested in the opinions of others on this stuff. Proposed two seaters that never got built are allowed in the list.

2 seater looks better than the single seater

Su-27
Skyhawk
F-106
F-100
F-86
Harrier
Mirage F-1

2 seater looks worse than the single seater

Lightning
Typhoon
F-102
Mig 15
Attacker
Scimitar
Mig-29

Neutral

Hunter
F-105
F-9F

Good list, I will add:

2 seater better:
Hawk, Single seat 200 looks terrible/out of proportion
F-106, agree
Harrier (agree with Kit) first gen especially, second generation closer to neutral
Impala
Mitsubishi F-1- looks like they just sheet metalled over the second seat of the T-2
F-16D/F with the spine
F-8 "Two-sader" (one built)
F-5.  Two seat or T-38 has much better lines

2 seater worse:
Mirage III/Cheetah/Dagger
Rafale
Me-262
Meteor
A-7
F-15 B/D (somehow looks OK the F-15E)
F-16B
Saab 35 Draken
MiG-25 step down nose trainer
U-2 with the second bubble
F-22 (proposed only)
MiG-23
A-10

Neutral
F-101 Voodoo- both look pretty good in different ways.  
F-100
Saab Viggen
A-4 Skyhawk- disagree- just too much glass. And the double bubble singapore version looks bad.  
Su-25
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

McColm

I have to disagree about the Lightning as the layout is the same as the Hunter two seater ans that looks impressive now as it did when they were new.
The F-4 Phantom would have looked better as a single seater, same goes for the Tornado. The German's flew these as single seaters.

martinbayer

To me, single seaters almost always invariably look better than two seaters, especially those in tandem arrangement. It's a bit like a sports coupe vs. a family sedan ;)...

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

JayBee

IMHO two seaters that were designed that way from the beginning look better than a single seat derivative.
Take the F-4, the original plan was to be a single seat fleet defence aircraft and in fact that is what the mock-up was built as. The final product looks right as a two seater.
The Tornado also does not look right as a single seater.
The Javelin would look just silly as a single seater.
The Sea Vixen..... OK who would know.
Etc, Etc, Etc.......
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on January 30, 2015, 02:09:00 PM

Jim, I'm almost tempted.  ;D

I've found I have two T3s in The Loft...............  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

scooter

Even though the Blackbird is a two seater, and looks pretty sexy (in the air, where its not leaking all over the place), SR-71B just looks...worse IMHO
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 30, 2015, 02:31:25 PM
Quote from: JayBee on January 30, 2015, 02:09:00 PM

Jim, I'm almost tempted.  ;D

I've found I have two T3s in The Loft...............  ;)

I think I'd be inclined to do one like this - --- that's the cockpit  --- not the rest of it

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

jcf

ericr

one two-seater I just love is the Me163S

and I agree with Kit that two-seater variants have something special, even when looking a bit ugly.
The Harrier and Skyhawk look great with their magnified bubble canopy. Like a big eye, or swollen brain?

ericr

Quote from: ericr on January 31, 2015, 01:01:33 AM

and I agree with Kit that two-seater variants have something special, even when looking a bit ugly.
The Harrier and Skyhawk look great with their magnified bubble canopy. Like a big eye, or swollen brain?

oh, and what about this twin-seater? (for which the single-seater was already quite a challenge ...)

ericr

Quote from: ericr on January 31, 2015, 02:23:43 AM
Quote from: ericr on January 31, 2015, 01:01:33 AM

oh, and what about this twin-seater? (for which the single-seater was already quite a challenge ...)

does this one count?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: ericr on January 31, 2015, 02:27:34 AM
does this one count?

Absolutely, a wonderful looking aircraft.  ;D

Much better looking than a standard Meteor T7, and maybe better than a standard F8 too.

Not only does the real thing still exist at the Cosford Museum, but Special Hobby do it as a kit, and excellent it is too.

Regards
Kit