Two seaters versus single seaters

Started by PR19_Kit, January 30, 2015, 10:57:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

You've now got me thinking about what a Sea Vixen would like with a twin place cockpit rather then the coal hole it had.

Jon I've always liked those Gloster single seat projects ever since I first saw them in Putnams.

Quote from: sandiego89 on January 30, 2015, 12:22:24 PM

Mitsubishi F-1- looks like they just sheet metalled over the second seat of the T-2

I think that's what they did. Swear I've read that somewhere
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 31, 2015, 05:34:50 AM
You've now got me thinking about what a Sea Vixen would like with a twin place cockpit rather then the coal hole it had.

Sea Venom canopy?

I agree with most of the list, however, IMHO of course:

The two-seat 1st gen Harrier is NOT better-looking than the single-seater: the canopy looks nice, but the goofy fin and tail spike spoil it for me.

F-9F Cougar: the two-seater DOES look better than the single-seater. There's nothing wrong with the single, it's just that the twin is so damned pretty.

The Skyhawk I would say is neutral: both versions look good for different reasons.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

sandiego89

Quote from: Weaver on January 31, 2015, 08:10:43 AM

The two-seat 1st gen Harrier is NOT better-looking than the single-seater: the canopy looks nice, but the goofy fin and tail spike spoil it for me.

Counterpoint, whats not to like about this one:

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

jcf

The F-1 is a straight conversion of the T-2, the rear seat position replaced with an avionics bay and the rear canopy
replaced with a hatch.

Straightforward and logical.  ;D

sandiego89

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 31, 2015, 09:30:00 AM
The F-1 is a straight conversion of the T-2, the rear seat position replaced with an avionics bay and the rear canopy
replaced with a hatch.

Straightforward and logical.  ;D

Agree a good approach, but it is uglier- and thus my nomination in this thread.   
Dave "Sandiego89"

Weaver

Quote from: sandiego89 on January 31, 2015, 09:30:00 AM

Okay, I'll give you that the original T.2s were better than the T.4s...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

sandiego89

Quote from: Weaver on January 31, 2015, 10:02:20 AM
Quote from: sandiego89 on January 31, 2015, 09:30:00 AM

Okay, I'll give you that the original T.2s were better than the T.4s...

Agree. The all black T-8's, and G-VTOL especially in a few schemes looked good as well. The laser nose on the gr3 and t4 made them the ugliest of the family.
Dave "Sandiego89"

PR19_Kit

I much prefer the looks of the later Harrier T10/TAV-8B to the equivalent single seaters, something to do with the balance of the fin and canopy maybe.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

pyro-manic

The Hunter and Lightning two-seaters are hideous. A tandem two-seat Hunter would probably be quite attractive, though. I think a side-by-side Venom-style canopy on the Sea Vixen would completely ruin it...

It really depends on the design, and sometimes further modifications made later on improve the look. The latest F-16s, for example, with the big spines and CFTs look much better than the earlier smooth B/Ds. I think a big spine would massively improve the look of the two-seater Typhoon, too.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Old Paul

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 31, 2015, 05:34:50 AM

Sea Venom canopy?

How about a Modelimex Jet Provost canopy? (Must learn how to use the quote function)

McColm

Quote from: pyro-manic on January 31, 2015, 01:45:41 PM
The Hunter and Lightning two-seaters are hideous. A tandem two-seat Hunter would probably be quite attractive, though. I think a side-by-side Venom-style canopy on the Sea Vixen would completely ruin it...

It really depends on the design, and sometimes further modifications made later on improve the look. The latest F-16s, for example, with the big spines and CFTs look much better than the earlier smooth B/Ds. I think a big spine would massively improve the look of the two-seater Typhoon, too.
And yet the F-111 and the A-6 were both two seaters and not branded hideous as well!

ericr

this Mig-9L has its specificity, esthetically

sandiego89

Quote from: ericr on February 01, 2015, 01:31:57 AM

this Mig-9L has its specificity, esthetically

Wow, that is really ugly....and must have been a plumbing nightmare...
Dave "Sandiego89"