Jmantime videos: American Jet Aircraft of WW2

Started by Weaver, January 31, 2015, 06:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

perttime

I've tried archery - like some familiarisation sessions - and could imagine picking it up as a hobby. I just don't see how it is better for sentry removal etc. than a compact silenced gun with subsonic ammunition. Something like a long .30 caliber bullet, or bigger.

zenrat

I restrict myself to shooting the nephews with nerf guns.  I've no idea how it happened but the pressure restricter "fell out" of my longstrike increasing the range and enabling me to snipe at them from the compost heap.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

The ancient/medieval Chinese (depends on your definition) had a repeating crossbow with a 10 round magazine (number from memory)

I think there was a Danish SAS Officer in WWII who allegedly used a longbow in action. Won the VC as well. Killed in Italy
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

pyro-manic

There was that lunatic with the broadsword in the British army as well, wasn't there?

Thinking about it, the Japanese used swords to rather brutal effect in the second world war, too.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

kerick

IIRC the Soviets used old tank turrets along the Chinese border for many years. Lots of T-34s I believe.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Go4fun

Give me a trebuchete and some nice fire bombs and I can wreck an advancing army's day.
"Just which planet are you from again"?

Martin H

Quote from: Steel Penguin on February 02, 2015, 02:01:59 AM
" well im going for centre of mass"   as one of my other hobby's at the time was Live Role Play, and  I was keeping my eye in for that,  a

Sounds like you would have been better suited to Field archery. More particularly NFAS (National Field Archery Society) shooting. Thats the code I shot under when I was a member of Liberty Archers at RAF Lakenheath.

Ive been a member of all three main Codes in England.
GNAS (Grand National Archery Society). Now calling itself Archery GB. (Olympic style target archery)
NFAS. Its called field archery but shooting normal takes place in woodland and is basically simulated bow hunting. 3d foam animal shoots are great fun!
EFAA (English Field Archery association). Same as the NFAS but with out the 3d targets. And more formal, akin to the GNAS shooting code.

Ive also shot as a guest with the BLBS (British Long Bow Society) at their Newbry triple shoot a couple of times. That one was a culture shock. The bow has to be a traditional English Long bow that meets with their criteria for what constitutes an English Long bow.
Mind you I found my self shooting along side Brian Blessed. A true gent indeed.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Steel Penguin

Martin The uni club was with GNAS, though there was NFAS shooter who did say the strangest one he ever did was the one involving the elephant target, after all who knows how big one of them is!!
But shooting alongside Mr Blessed,  oh both myself and Mrs Penguin are just a touch jealous of that  :bow:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Martin H

One of the strangest target we had at lakenheath was "Robo deer" a half inch thick steel plate cut in the shape of a monkjack deer with the area where the vital organs would be cut out and filled with foam. It was an optional shot. And people would bring an old arrow to use on it just in case they missed the kill zone. the loud clang from a miss always generated a cheer.

Then there was the flying Pig. a 3d boar mounted on a short(ish) zipwire about 3 foot off the ground. The over shoot for that one was into the Undershoot area for the main runway!
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Old Wombat

Getting off the subject of bows (although I have used them & enjoyed the experience, as did my youngest daughter), AK47's, PPSh's, G/K.98's, Martini-Henry/Martini-Enfield/Lee-Metford (& copies), etc., if they work, are as effective as any modern weapon in their class, sometimes better.

When it comes right down to it, if all you have at your disposal is a .22LR single-shot bolt-action rifle to defend your home & beliefs, you're going to use it.

Some of those old tanks look as though they may have been used, either in the field or as decoys, during the Iran-Iraq War, while others were obviously gate guards or memorial pieces parked on pedestals.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

I've often wondered.  Does Brian Blessed have a "normal" volume level or is he stuck on "bellow"?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 02, 2015, 07:43:26 AM
The ancient/medieval Chinese (depends on your definition) had a repeating crossbow with a 10 round magazine (number from memory)

I think there was a Danish SAS Officer in WWII who allegedly used a longbow in action. Won the VC as well. Killed in Italy

There was certainly a British one who used a longbow on a German MG team during the retret to Dunkirk in 1940.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Mossie

Probably the oldest weapon is still in popular use, the Big Stick.  Whether just that in mob, or more official as a truncheon or baton, the usefulness of hit someone with something solid and heavy has never gone away.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

perttime

Going a little more advanced from the club, you get into blades. I bet most combat troops carry knives of one sort or another, with a thought that it can be used for fighting, too. Some also seem to like tomahawks and hatchets.

Not all that much has really changed in small blade weapons in the last few hundred years.

Go4fun

"Anything can be a weapon or a part of a booby trap." as a French Commando Instructor told our squad once. Hatchet, sledge hammer, kitchen knife, a lit cigar to an eye, anything you can do to surprise or wound an enemy gives you an opportunity to upgrade to a better weapon.
"Just which planet are you from again"?