Jmantime videos: American Jet Aircraft of WW2

Started by Weaver, January 31, 2015, 06:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Quote from: perttime on February 03, 2015, 06:27:04 AM
Going a little more advanced from the club, you get into blades. I bet most combat troops carry knives of one sort or another, with a thought that it can be used for fighting, too. Some also seem to like tomahawks and hatchets.

Not all that much has really changed in small blade weapons in the last few hundred years.

The bayonet comes to mind, mostly relegated to a last resort weapon and handy as a tool but the British Army still train for bayonet charges and have used them in combat very recently.

I think one or two militaries still train with swords?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

perttime

I recall some science fiction Space Opera where swords had made a comeback for fighting inside spacecraft. If you are a Space Pirate trying to capture a Spaceliner with hull, cargo, crew and passengers relatively intact, you don't want to puncture the hull with projectiles (etc). Same thing goes for the defenders, once the Pirates are inside.

Rheged

Quote from: Go4fun on February 02, 2015, 01:23:06 PM
Give me a trebuchete and some nice fire bombs and I can wreck an advancing army's day.

Read Desmond Baguely's book The High Citadel for a good story involving a scratch-built modern Trebuchet......There's quite a bit of aviation in the book too!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

jcf

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 02, 2015, 07:43:26 AM
The ancient/medieval Chinese (depends on your definition) had a repeating crossbow with a 10 round magazine (number from memory)

Reportedly still in use at the time of the Sino-Japanese War of 1894, and, anectdotally, during the 'Boxer Rebellion'.

Martin H

Quote from: zenrat on February 03, 2015, 01:56:35 AM
I've often wondered.  Does Brian Blessed have a "normal" volume level or is he stuck on "bellow"?

Set permanently to bellow lol.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

scooter

Quote from: Rheged on February 03, 2015, 08:39:38 AM
Quote from: Go4fun on February 02, 2015, 01:23:06 PM
Give me a trebuchete and some nice fire bombs and I can wreck an advancing army's day.

Read Desmond Baguely's book The High Citadel for a good story involving a scratch-built modern Trebuchet......There's quite a bit of aviation in the book too!!

When I was in Iraq, I strongly contemplated building a trebuchet on top of my battalion's headquarters building ;D
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Mossie

Quote from: perttime on February 03, 2015, 08:24:53 AM
I recall some science fiction Space Opera where swords had made a comeback for fighting inside spacecraft. If you are a Space Pirate trying to capture a Spaceliner with hull, cargo, crew and passengers relatively intact, you don't want to puncture the hull with projectiles (etc). Same thing goes for the defenders, once the Pirates are inside.

There's also Frank Herbet's Dune.  It starts off by introducing personal shields that can stop high speed projectiles, lasers are rendered useless as a nuclear explosion results, potentially killing both parties.  Lower speed objects can penetrate, especially swords.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Quote from: perttime on February 03, 2015, 08:24:53 AM

The Traveller RPG had swords for exactly that reason. As well as the traditional types, there was the "Blade", which had a knuckle-duster hilt and a short, straight, single-edged blade with a point. The story was that early space marines took to using bayonets in situations where firearms were counter-productive, and then started asking for longer and more elaborate ones, the limits being set by swinging room and the avoidance of self-injury (not good in a space suit).
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

I seem to remember that in Joe Haldeman's "The Forever War" humans developed a "stasis field" in which all matter was slowed to some set velocity.

Within the field & all unshielded organic life died & chemically powered projectile weapons became useless, as did energy weapons, so within the field troops were armoured & carried shields, swords, axes, etc., & bows were the only functional projectile weapons. The fields could be quite large but I think the only large weapon used was a ballista.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Not thought about it before but Han was taking quite a chance letting Luke train with (spoiler alert! :lol: ) his father's light sabre on the Falcon.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Nick

Quote from: zenrat on February 04, 2015, 02:14:11 AM
Not thought about it before but Han was taking quite a chance letting Luke train with (spoiler alert! :lol: ) his father's light sabre on the Falcon.

I just thought the sabre was set to 'whack' and not 'cut through everything like butter' !  ;D
Wookieepedia confirms this... http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Blade_power_adjustment_knob

NARSES2

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on February 03, 2015, 12:42:14 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on February 02, 2015, 07:43:26 AM
The ancient/medieval Chinese (depends on your definition) had a repeating crossbow with a 10 round magazine (number from memory)

Reportedly still in use at the time of the Sino-Japanese War of 1894, and, anectdotally, during the 'Boxer Rebellion'.

I've read that somewhere as well. Probably in a book I have on the Boxer Rebellion
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: Nick on February 04, 2015, 08:19:57 AM

I just thought the sabre was set to 'whack' and not 'cut through everything like butter' !  ;D
Wookieepedia confirms this... http://starwars.wikia.com
Quote from: Nick on February 04, 2015, 08:19:57 AM

Wookieepedia confirms this... http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Blade_power_adjustment_knob
wiki/Blade_power_adjustment_knob

I didn't know they had power settings.  What sort of battery life do they get?

The most ancient weapon of all is surely the fist.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Mossie

Still in regular use every Saturday night round these parts.  :drink:

CANSO