Main Menu

A10 , done

Started by darthspud, February 01, 2015, 10:12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darthspud

Phew, never thought i'd get this one done. It's been on the partial build stash for over a year, but some bad weather and focus and here we go.

Short back story,

Their Lordships of the Admiralty finally realised that to be a real force the Royal Marines needed some serious  in house/organic fire power. With the abject failure to navalise the Harrier, defence cuts, and for it to carry a decent CAS/ground attack load they were forced to look elsewhere.
The A10, was in the process in the late 80's of being decommissioned by the USAF. With the demise of the Warsaw Pact the A10's based in U.K. were simply purchased 'as is' from a U.K. storage area at the last USAF base in England (RAF Upper Riffington) and handed over to BAe at Warton for light navalisation.
This took the form of a heavy duty arrestor hook, reinforced nose undercarriage.
Their Lordships went further and formed a small cadre of R.M. pilots within 764 Sqn, a nod to the Close Air Support the squadron had given during the Korean War era. 764 was run up at RNAS Yeovilton and remained as a shore based unit until the Third Gulf War in 2021, thereafter they were relocated on board HMS Duke of Edinburgh (a converted LPG super tanker) along with various other organic R.M. Air units.

This is the kit

a 1983 kit, lots of flash and some warped bits.
Thanks to H for the Arrestor hook, wrong scale , but it works well here.
too old for a paper round, too young for me pensions, dammit, back to work then!

Go4fun

Troops on the ground should NOT call "Danger close. Just drop EVERYTHING on these guys"!  :o
"Just which planet are you from again"?

Captain Canada

Nice ! I love the idea of carrier borne A-10s. And she looks good in those colours as well ! Love the bomb load...too right, get out of the way !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

darthspud

Bombload is a mix of various Hasegawa sets. Set 1,2,5 &7
Wanted to put some standard 250lb iron bombs on the two mer's on the fuselage, but figured if it's a  navalised a/c it'll need fuel. For the role I envisaged there are 2 x BFO LGB's 2x sml LGB's, cluster bomb, extended fuse 250lb for bunkerbusting, 4 x 250lbs for dumbiron bombing and two EWpods for targetting and jamming.
too old for a paper round, too young for me pensions, dammit, back to work then!

NARSES2

Fleet Air Arm desert pink, nice  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

darthspud

Royal Marine Air Service please,
kipmats optional
:thumbsup:

NARSES2

Quote from: darthspud on February 02, 2015, 10:35:36 AM
Royal Marine Air Service please,
kipmats optional
:thumbsup:

Sorry sir  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

KiwiZac

Lovely job! Few machines exude "I promise you pain" as much as a laden A-10!

One criticism/question: does it have folding wings? I imagine it would take up a fair bit of space on a carrier!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Spey_Phantom

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

zenrat

Heh heh heh.  Bonza  :thumbsup:

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

darthspud

I did think of putting a wing fold in, but due to the loadout thought it inadvisable.
If i do another i'd put the fold between the two outer pylons, and the outer one would then be a fixed unit not a pylon mounted interchangeable pod/weapon.