RAF Brewster B-339E Buffalo Mk. II Malta, 1941

Started by nighthunter, February 01, 2015, 09:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which scheme?

Middle Stone and Dark Sea Green
Middle Stone and Dark Sea Grey

nighthunter

I have returned!

Anywho, Due to an Extreme Lack of IAC WW2 era decals, I am "forced" to go another Route.

Watch this space for further updates.

Kit is a Revell F2A Buffalo that needs a lot of Love and Time and Work.

Updates forthcoming!
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

nighthunter

So, list of things to do:

Detail cockpit walls
Build "roll cage"
Add ring radio antenna (or build it)
Add exhaust
Add cockpit armor to back of seat
Install larger engine from F4F
Krystal Kleer the gap in the front windshield
Remove "tube" gunsight
Build new gunsight

And that's just off the top of my head.

Dizzyfugu

Cool. Beyond odd aircraft types, Malta lends itself to weird paint schemes, e. g. the RAF "tropical scheme" in Mid Stone/Dark Green.
Should look interesting on a Buffalo!

nighthunter

I'd love to get a Knight of Malta decal to stick on the cowel. I know I won't have the exact decals, but I'll make do. As it is, the Buffalo needs a lot of work.

Thanks for the Support, Thomas!

Army of One

I have a great interest in the Maltese air war.......I'd love to see the buffalo in the tan or mid stone brown colour and that local 'mix' paint that had a sort of blueness to it......I think it's depicted on the Spitfire from Airfix.....was in their model magazine....although I have read that some Spits were painted with a USN blue over the dark brown parts while being transported on the American carriers....looks great....I think that would look great......I love the story of 'Faith, Hope and Charity'........ :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

nighthunter

These are the two schemes I came up with, as my original idea of copying the Sea Gladiators was nixed by nothing close enough to the original decals:

Army of One

Oh yes......I like them......like them lots..... :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

nighthunter

Army of One

The top scheme......definately the top scheme...... :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Army of One on February 02, 2015, 01:11:17 PM
I have a great interest in the Maltese air war.......I'd love to see the buffalo in the tan or mid stone brown colour and that local 'mix' paint that had a sort of blueness to it......I think it's depicted on the Spitfire from Airfix...

There have been Temperate Land Scheme Spitfires where the Dark Green had been overpainted with Dark Sea Grey, while the Dark Earth remained (much like the upper pair of Buffalos). Ugly...  :-X But unique!

AFAIK there were all-grey (upper sides only) Spitfires, too, Hurricanes in the Tropical Scheme (Dark Green/Mid Stone), and other oddities with mixed tones that resembled FAA colors. On Malta, anything would go, it seems! Therefore a great Whif playground - I feel inclined to join the mayhem with a Buffalo, too, got (at least) one Matchbox kit stashed away...  ;D

nighthunter

Dizzyfugu

Concerning the vote - what color is "Dark Sea Green"? Never heard of, AFAIK there's either RAF Dark Green, or Dark Slate Grey as green-ish FAA option? The latter, coupled with mid stone should also look interesting, though...  ;)

BTW...

Spitfire Mk.Vc/Trop, RAF 249 Sqn., Pilot - Sergeant George Beurling. Malta, July 1942.
The Canadian ace achieved his very first victories flying this aircraft in two cases: on 6th July, shooting down two MC.202, one Bf.109 and damaging a Cant Z.1007 bomber, and on July 10th, shooting down one MC.202 and one Bf.109. The aircraft would be destroyed two days later, while being flown by another pilot. The camouflage scheme consists of Dark Earth and Dark Mediterranean Blue which has covered all the areas originally painted in Mid Stone. Azure Blue for the lower surfaces.
Many a pilot in Malta found the colour of Mid Stone too bright for operations over the sea and decided to hastily repaint their aircraft in this scheme, using field stock colours. The pace of operations over the besieged island did not allow time for the ground crews to paint the squadron's recognition letters on the fuselage sides (in 249's case 'GN'), so the majority of them had only their individual letter painted.

dadlamassu

Quote from: nighthunter on February 02, 2015, 10:44:19 AM
I'd love to get a Knight of Malta decal to stick on the cowel. I know I won't have the exact decals, but I'll make do. As it is, the Buffalo needs a lot of work.

Thanks for the Support, Thomas!

Not sure of the size of these scaled for 15mm figures but they are available in red, white, navy, green and black and only £1 a sheet.  Scroll down to M10 Knight/Infantry Maltese cross http://www.3vwargames.co.uk/upshop/shop/medieval15mm.html

I have some old Games Workshop Maltese Crosses in black and blue.  PM me your address if you want a couple.

Weaver

How odd that this should come up today: I spent some time yesterday trying to draw a Maltese Cross for the 1435 Flight F-106 profile I've just done.

Nice project here and cool-looking schemes.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones