Man gets lost in back yard..?

Started by Nick, February 10, 2015, 03:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Quote from: scooter on February 12, 2015, 02:48:25 AM
Quote from: zenrat on February 12, 2015, 01:54:00 AM
The Jersey Devil?

Mythbusters did an episode about walking in a straight line if you have no visual guides.  They went in a circle.

Very good.  Yep, a bit of local lore/mythology from here.  I've done that, during land nav at Warren Grove Range, curving off my direction between points because there was literally nothing to get a bearing on.  And no, we were not allowed to use a GPS during the exercise.

What?  The American military forcing people not to use GPS?  Unheard of, sir!  Unheard of!  ;D ;D ;D
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

scooter

Quote from: rickshaw on February 12, 2015, 03:04:01 AM
Quote from: scooter on February 12, 2015, 02:48:25 AM

Very good.  Yep, a bit of local lore/mythology from here.  I've done that, during land nav at Warren Grove Range, curving off my direction between points because there was literally nothing to get a bearing on.  And no, we were not allowed to use a GPS during the exercise.

What?  The American military forcing people not to use GPS?  Unheard of, sir!  Unheard of!  ;D ;D ;D

The simple answer is "What happens when you don't have any replacement batteries, but you *do* have a map and compass?"  We did the same thing up at Ft Drum's land nav course with 20th ASOS's noobs, and they all took off with their DAGRs and were done in 20 minutes.  We're all like "Ok, great.  And what happens when they're *forced* to rely on map and compass?  They're going to be freaking lost"
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Nick

Quote from: zenrat on February 12, 2015, 01:54:00 AM

Mythbusters did an episode about walking in a straight line if you have no visual guides.  They went in a circle.

We did this as a blindfold game in Scouts many years ago. We picked teams, blindfolded the 20 players, stood them on the football pitch and set them off in the right direction. No help allowed from other players. Goals were scored for every one who managed to walk into the goal.
From the penalty spot it was a 100% success.
From the centre spot barely half managed it.
From the opposite goalmouth the score was 1-0 and that was only because he walked into the goalpost at speed!  ;D

Hman

People tend to walk to their strong side, so right handed people tend to go to the right.
, left to the left.

"Lusaka Tower, this is Green Leader..."