Aircraft Base Tail Markings Query

Started by Cobra, February 10, 2015, 10:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Hey Guys, I'm planning to Build some Fighters and Am Wondering if the Tail Markings that Indicate the Base Are Supposed to Make Sense or Can they Be Anything? I've seen USAF & Other AFs that use 2 Letters, but I'm Thinking about if the Tail Markings might be Used Say Where the Fighters are based. Can Anyone  Help with This? thanks for Looking. Dan

PR19_Kit

Some US aircraft use a two letter code that bears some resemblance to the name of the base. I only know the ones in the UK where 'UH' was Upper Heyford and 'L' was for Lakenheath, but I expect at least the German based aircraft would have the same system.

In the Royal Navy the aircraft carried a code that was the same letter as the deck code of the ship they flew from, but that didn't make total sense sometimes. HMS Hermes had a deck code of 'H' whereas the Ark Royal had a deck code of 'R'. Currently the Ocean has an 'O' deck code but the Lyme Bay has 'YB'.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Cobra

Thanks for Responding, Kit. I was kinda thinking about using the First 2 letters of my hometown for the Tail markings as a Cheeky bit of Humor ;D Hope You understand. Dan

PR19_Kit

Why not? It sounds perfectly logical to me.

It seems the US based aircraft use code letters for the name of the base they fly from, for instance the Seymour Jonhnson based F-15Es use 'SJ' tail codes rather than a 'G' for Goldsboro where the base is located.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Cobra

I was Planning to Use CF for Chippewa Falls on the Tail of my Aircraft. Think that would Work? Dan

Rheged

Quote from: Cobra on February 11, 2015, 03:37:22 AM
I was Planning to Use CF for Chippewa Falls on the Tail of my Aircraft. Think that would Work? Dan

This is Whiffworld........of course it would work!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Mr.Creak

The ones that spring to mind for me are F-111s with UH (Upper Heyford) and F-15s with BT (Bitburg).
Go for it.
What if... I had a brain?

Captain Canada

Sounds good to me. My Grandfather put his initials as code on one of the last RC planes he built, his beloved Hurricane. CH-G. RIP.

:cheers: :tornado:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

scooter

Here's a list of every current tail code in the USAF.  I've had to look at it as well for coding the Euro-1 Schemed F-106s profiles I've done, along with a few others here and there.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on February 11, 2015, 04:23:25 AM
This is Whiffworld........of course it would work!!

What the man from Hereford said.  :thumbsup: Remember there are NO rules.

Very handy scooter, thanks for the link.

Some make NO sense at all though, 'D' for Mildenhall? Just because the Michigan ANG have 'MI' already?  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Cobra on February 11, 2015, 02:33:14 AM
Thanks for Responding, Kit. I was kinda thinking about using the First 2 letters of my hometown for the Tail markings as a Cheeky bit of Humor ;D Hope You understand. Dan

Sounds plausible, at least for an USAF aircraft. USN aircraft had and have codes that indicate the operation region.

zenrat

R for Ark Royal makes perfect sense if you talk like a pirate...

...Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrk Royal.

I'll get me coat.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..