1/350 HMS Habakkuk. I must be crazy now!

Started by seadude, February 11, 2015, 05:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eatthis

iv always had the same idea using an 8ft x 4foot sheet of ply for the flight deck  ;D
custom made pc desks built to order (including pc inside the the desk)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/your/listings?ref=si_your_shop

http://tinypic.com/m/hx3lmq/3

Howard of Effingham

if you can find it some where on the BBC website, there is details about a radio play made about the scientist who had the Habakkuk idea but I can't find it.

:banghead: :banghead:

maybe listening to it will help you in your endeavours.  :thumbsup:
Keeper of George the Cat.

seadude

Quote from: Howard of Effingham on February 18, 2015, 12:11:47 AM
if you can find it some where on the BBC website, there is details about a radio play made about the scientist who had the Habakkuk idea but I can't find it.

I found it, but it's no longer available for listening. Oh well. :(  I did find and order a book on Amazon called "Churchill's Iceman" about the life and inventions of Geoffrey Pyke. Should make for an interesting read. I should have my copy delivered sometime next week.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: seadude on February 18, 2015, 12:32:50 PM
Quote from: Howard of Effingham on February 18, 2015, 12:11:47 AM

I found it, but it's no longer available for listening. Oh well. :(  I did find and order a book on Amazon called "Churchill's Iceman" about the life and inventions of Geoffrey Pyke. Should make for an interesting read. I should have my copy delivered sometime next week.

if it gets repeated again seadude on BBC Radio 4Extra and I hear it, i'll try to let you know. I've heard it at least twice.
Keeper of George the Cat.

Captain Canada

I think nobody's built one except you 'cause you're a special kind of crazy !  :thumbsup: Looking forward to it tho. Maybe it's because of the lack of reference ? Or just the perceived lack ? Or that modern folk mostly just want to crack open a box and have it all spelled out for them ?

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

seadude

Quote from: Captain Canada on February 18, 2015, 05:22:08 PM
I think nobody's built one except you 'cause you're a special kind of crazy !  :thumbsup: Looking forward to it tho. Maybe it's because of the lack of reference ? Or just the perceived lack ? Or that modern folk mostly just want to crack open a box and have it all spelled out for them ?

:cheers:

I think the main reason not a lot of people have built a Habakkuk is because of the severe lack of reference material available. The only thing available is mostly concept sketches, art, and blueprints. Even the specifications are vague. There's nothing "finalised" as to what the Habakkuk looked like or what it was supposed to have. I'm probably the only modeler who has gotten it even remotely right as far as looks and so forth. When building any type of model, RESEARCH IS KEY.......and asking questions too!  :thumbsup:  In fact, I'm STILL doing research on the Habakkuk. Wherever I can find it.
Know what I keep finding........and what pisses me off?  :banghead: I've been all over the Net and you wouldn't believe how many sites and people have information about the Habakkuk wrong.  :banghead:
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Captain Canada

Ya that's one of the most frustrating things about the 'web in general. Sometimes there's just too much info, and most of it is wrong !

:banghead: :blink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

seadude

Here's another "technical hurdle" I could use advice on:

In all the research I've done over the last few years, there's no info. on what kind of flight deck the Habakkuk would have. Either steel or wood planking type deck. If I went with a wood planking type deck similar to what some US WWII carriers had, ArtWox has some generic sheets of wood decking in a deck blue type color, or a weathered type look, or plain sheets. Would any of this work, and what type? If not, then what other alternatives would anybody recommend?

zenrat

Bitumen/Asphalt?
Could you lay it straight onto the pycrete or would there be an issue with rapid cooling/melting?
For speed of construction i'd say steel sheets bolted straight down onto the pycrete.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kerick

It could be that it was never decided. There seemed to be a problem with the design using so much steel that a wood deck might have been a proposed option. As it never got built both ideas might be "right".
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

Concrete deck?
Designing something that size you would start to think of it more as an airfield than as a carrier.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

scooter

Quote from: zenrat on February 23, 2015, 02:05:42 AM
Concrete deck?
Designing something that size you would start to think of it more as an airfield than as a carrier.

I was thinking gravel embedded in the ice, but a concrete surface might work.  Although you might have similar problems with the asphalt/bitumin deck being laid since concrete tends to heat up as it cures
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

eatthis

custom made pc desks built to order (including pc inside the the desk)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/your/listings?ref=si_your_shop

http://tinypic.com/m/hx3lmq/3

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

sandiego89

Quote from: zenrat on February 23, 2015, 02:05:42 AM
Concrete deck?

I think concrete would be a poorer choice, with poor characteristics over a cold hull with cracking, weight penalty, labor upfront and maintenance, etc. Would also want to avoid something that would be a heat sink heat or heat transfer. 

I'd say ice with suitable gravel/sand/straw or evan paint for stabilization, or perhaps a simple wood overlay- like the plywood over parts of the hull.  if you wanted wood planking, Evergreen has some nice siding material that works great for wood deck simulation.     
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA