Just a little natter ( Bachem)

Started by luft46models, February 13, 2015, 12:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luft46models

I've started the Brengun 1/72 Whif in a box version of the Bachem Natter. I'm going for the Japanese version as the more plausible of the options, I just can't come at a Czech or the outlandish Israeli one. These things are designed for attacking high flying bomber streams and I can't see that as being a likely mission in a Middle East scenario.

Anyway I have dragged out the Midlands book and after a quick browse couldn't see any mention of the nose rocket cover. IIRC this was available on the Heller version and so I am wondering whether this cover is real or not and if real was it going to be clear or coloured, I can't see any reason why it would have to be clear as I guess it would be just to improve the aerodynamics.

So what I want is opinions / facts before I decide to make this cover as the kit does not supply it.

William in Oz

Dizzyfugu

AFAIK it was a plexiglass cover, clear - but only for aerodynamic purposes, and it would be jettisoned before missile launch.
Painting it would not have made sense, but I wonder why this construction was used? Plexiglass is not light at all, but maybe it was the simplest construction? Anyway, I have never seen pics of real Natter fighters with the cone in place? Only prototypes with a solid wood nose cone, or just the "flat" missile rack.

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Captain Canada

One more for the 'learn something new everyday' file.

Look forward to seeing some pics !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on February 13, 2015, 04:26:09 AM
I also found this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsq3wN8ZVs4

Interesting. That shows the Natter had tailerons, not elevators and ailerons.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

luft46models

Thanks guys, that was a great video, seems like the cover is still only conjecture.

William in Oz

sandiego89

Just found this project on a Natter reconstruction project for a documentary:

http://www.ba349.de/default.aspx

Some great pictures of the rocket tubes and how they were designed.  The reconstruction just show the tubes, no sign of a nose cone.  One of the final pictures, looking like the advertisement for the documentary seems to show a cone, but it is grainy/stylized drawing perhaps- or one of the early test birds?      
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA