Tamiya Smoke and Green Questions

Started by Captain Canada, February 13, 2015, 05:44:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Hi guys,
    As part of today's 'to do' list, I need to hit my LHS and buy another Tamiya clear green. I like the green on the older choppers, most seemed to have that instead of the more modern 'smoke'. My plan is to dig out as many chopper glass sections as I can and do the clear green on them.

But here is my question. I brush paint them. I find 1 coat at a time works fine, leaving no streaks. Just be sure it's good and dry before attempting the second coat. 2 coats usually look good ( for me anyway ). Now, how do you clean the brush ? I've been using the cheap Testors flat brushes to get a good even coat, and then tossing them. I've tried water and two different spirits but can't clean the brushes so they just go in the bin.

Cheers !

:tornado:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

scooter

Have you tried just straight lacquer thinner?  That's usually what I use to clean everything- from hairy sticks and the guts of my airbrush to my glass work surface
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

I use Xtracrylic's cleaner on any brushes I've used for Tamiya acrylics and that works fine. Not used Tamiya clear paints however
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

When I pick up my pot I'll ask Dave at my LHS, but he probably only airbrushes the stuff on, so I may be back to square one. I guess I should maybe read the label an see what it says, or what the stuff is made from !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Capt the Smoke is in an Acrylics jar, just checked mine. So acrylic thinners should clean it I would have thought
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

I use the Tamiya Smoke and find it hard to get rid of the brush with the normal terpentine brush cleaner I use.
For those rare occasions I rely on nail polish remover - works with Tamiya paints, but dries out any brush and tends to ruin it. Have no special acyrlic paint cleaner at home since I rarely use this type of paint, of clean the brushes with water.

Howard of Effingham

when using any of the Tamiya acrylics clear or ordinary [but not the metallic as I don 't use them] I only ever use Tamiya thinners having had to bin several
pots in the past thru using the wrong stuff.

Keeper of George the Cat.

darthspud

I use the smoke and opaque orange for canopies, I've only ever cleaned brushes with Tamiya thinners. Seems to work ok for me.
too old for a paper round, too young for me pensions, dammit, back to work then!

Captain Canada

Thanks for the input guys. Dave said alcohol, so I'll try that first and see if works !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

I tried the daughters nail polish remover first, and it seems to have worked ! It's first ingredient is acetone or somat. I now have a bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol so I'll try that next.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

I clean brushes that i've been using with acrylics in water.
Works fine for me.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Steel Penguin

Ive only used water to clean Tamiya paint off brushes and never head problems,  I will ask ( a possibly stupid) question, you have got Tamiya Acrylics, and not one of the other tamiya paint blends ( poly carb or  enamel )?   Due to my lack of problems, it is a question that rises to the surface.   :unsure:
Normally all I need to do is give the brush a good swoosh round in an old glass full of clean water.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

NARSES2

I wonder if the formulation for Tamiya Acrylics differs between countries/continents ? EU rules are strict and there was a problem with the original formulation of Tamiya which has since changed.

Could that be why some have trouble and others don't ?

Steel Penguin

Narses   I don't know, ive been using Tamiya since the late 80s, and never had problems washing brushes with water, the flat yellow, and gun metal seem fairly the same as then, ( its the two paints I have most experience with) .
I used to thin them with straight tap water as well, they used to thin for ages and then kind of curdle, don't know why, they just did...  I now tend to use tap water and Tamiya thinners as ive been able to find a reliable source....
now if only they'd go back to the bigger pots.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

scooter

Quote from: Steel Penguin on February 17, 2015, 01:21:13 PM
now if only they'd go back to the bigger pots.

AGREED!  Although I can get more of the smaller ones in the drawers where I store them
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng