1/35th FSBR - Fire Support Boat, Riverine

Started by Old Wombat, February 18, 2015, 01:17:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Thanks, Chris! :thumbsup:

Generally they were no more top-heavy than your average power boat or motor yacht. Their engines were low in the hull, their main weapons systems tended to have most of their weight below deck level, their superstructures were no higher than they had to be & most were wide-beamed boats, like MTB's & PT boats. They, also, tended to be made of aluminium or GRP's (Glass Reinforced Plastics) & carried very little in the way of armour.

The river monitors were usually barge/scow-like hulls &, again, kept the majority of their mass close to the waterline or below it.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 10, 2015, 07:31:05 AM
their main weapons systems tended to have most of their weight below deck level, their superstructures were no higher than they had to be & most were wide-beamed boats,

Ah, that answers it. It was the weight of the weapons systems in particular that worried me. You live and learn, thank you sir  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 09, 2015, 07:48:00 PM
You may now see how little progress has progressed. :blink:
Well, maybe little progress but it's significant progress, GUNS!!  :wacko: :thumbsup:

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Old Wombat

Not a problem, Chris! :thumbsup:

Thanks, DfZ! Yep, guns is good! ;D

Still slow progress due to p!$$-poor weather, work & family commitments. :-\

Old Wombat

Well, I've been doing little bits & pieces ... & I got carried away with the rusting. :blink:

Honestly, I was just enjoying playing with the AK rust paints I bought & was enjoying being impressed with the results even my ham-fisted painting could achieve.

So, although in real life no Royal Australian Marine would dare let their vessel/vehicle get even close to this badly rusted, I'm leaving it as is.

Should be finished, finally, in about a week. Photo's then.

Guy

Captain Canada

Cool. It would be nice to know how you did the rust that's somat I really would like to try proper.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Old Wombat

Fire Support Boat, Riverine (FSBR) Mk.II

Length: 51 feet 8 inches (15.75m)

Beam: 15 feet 6 inches (4.72m)

Draught: 24 inches (61cm)

Displacement: 20.67 long tons (23.15 short tons / 21t)

Propulsion: 2 x 270/370 hp (201/276 kW) Cummins VT8-370-M turbocharged marine diesel engines,
                      each powering a Caldwell & Lacey TP12M turbine water-jet with a thrust bucket for
                      reverse thrust.

Speed: 22.5 knots (25.25mph / 41.85 km/h)

Complement: 10 - 12

Armament: 2 x 40mm Bofors multi-purpose autocannon in a US M-42 twin-mount turret (248 rnds)
                      1 x 20mm General Dynamics M168 Vulcan rotary cannon (30,000 rnds)
                      2 x .50 cal Browning M2HB machine guns (3600 rnds)
                      Assorted personal small-arms

Armour: Hull – ¼ inch mild steel plus internal reinforcing up to ¾ inch
                Superstructure – 1 inch armour grade aluminium

The Fire Support Boat, Riverine, Mk.II was an Australian-built vessel designed for operations in the rivers & deltas of South East Asia utilising primary & secondary weapons acquired from US forces in Vietnam.

Operated by the Royal Australian Marines of the Joint US-Australian River Patrol (JUSARP) from 1967 until the withdrawal of Australian main force units in 1978, when they were handed over to the Republic of Viet Nam Navy (RVNN).

The FSBR's were generally used with RAM PBR 31 Mk.II's in operations against North Vietnamese / Viet Cong supply bases along the river. However, they often served as flank-guards for main force land operations in the Mekong Delta & River areas, & as fire-support for RAM Special Boat Service infiltration & extraction operations, & US Navy SEAL activities all along the Vietnamese coastal & riverine areas.

Only 6 of these boats were built, including the 2 Mk.I's which were converted to Mk.II standard. As river boats the FSBR's were quite exceptional, with a rapid acceleration & impressive agility for their size. However, they lacked sufficient crew accommodation for extended patrol operations & had generally poor ride qualities in all but the calmest seas. Despite this they were the preferred support boats for special operations teams as they were fast, heavily armed &, with their exhaust gasses exiting via the water-jet units, quiet.

Depicted is FSBR Kilo-Four (a.k.a. "The Real Thing") as she appeared at the height of the 2nd Tết Offensive, in 1975, during short a Rest & Re-armament break. In the cockpit is the Duty NCO, Corporal Lionel "Snowy" Walters.

(Note: These are the last photo's before the cockpit roof was glued in place.)

Lidded, roofed & covered.

(Link to new SmugMug album: https://guyplachy.smugmug.com/RAM-Fire-Support-Boat-Riverine/)

Well, except for a bit of loose gear floating around, that's it!

FINISHED!

:thumbsup: :cheers: :party:

Steel Penguin

the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

PR19_Kit

That's a TRULY First Class job you've made of that Old Wombat. I'm really, REALLY impressed!  :thumbsup: :bow:

That last batch of pics showing the cockpit with all the stuff you've added is as good as I've ever seen on a model boat of any scale, super stuff.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

Yep, that's what i call 1st class work too!!  :bow: All the detail work, those guns... and the Vulcan cannon... Beautiful! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Old Wombat

Thanks guys! :bow:

After a while all you see are the flaws.

It's good to get some outside perspective - especially when it's positive! ;D

A link to the song that inspired the name: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HImcaPDmfBY

zenrat

Worth the wait.  A marvellous piece of building.  Makes me want to dig out a boat kit.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Thank you, gents! ;D

And extra thanks to Kit for the much appreciated Whiffie nomination. :bow: