1/35th FSBR - Fire Support Boat, Riverine

Started by Old Wombat, February 18, 2015, 01:17:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

PS: The jets are fixed because my skill set doesn't include microscopic pivots & ball-joints.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Army of One

Oh my goodness...........that is some awesome work there......love it....... :wub:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Old Wombat

Thanks, Ao1! :bow:

Well, the boat is finished ready to prime. Weapons are still to be built. Here are the pic's as of an hour ago.

The water-jets, canopy, ladder, pilot's seat & wheel are all loose-fitted for the photo's & will be painted & detailed seperately.

The greenish spots are liquid mask over clear parts (mostly handcrafted from clear sprue).

The cabinets behind the cockpit are .50-cal ammunition lockers, each sized to fit 16 x 200-rnd boxes. Microphone & R/T handset are handcrafted from styrene. Copper & various grades of lead wire used for the wiring.

Still have to make the anchors & fit the life-rings, extinguishers (after painting) ... plus the weapons.

Not sure if I should put exhaust outlets at the stern for the 2 x Ford 351 Windsor marine V8's or if they should exhaust through the water-jets. Suggestions?

Hope you're all still enjoying this!

:cheers:

Guy

kerick

Didn't PT boats exhaust into the water for quiet low speed ops? A lot of pleasure boat exhaust into the water.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

TallEng

I find it hard to believe that you started with the Airfix 'S' boat!
Fantastic work so far :bow:

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

zenrat

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Wholly impressive stiff there, those water jets are awesome.  :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sykotik

Oh wow..Guy...that is nothing short of insanely amazing! I've just read from the start and it has been so worth it! I have always been in total awe and admiration for guys who can scratch build and this is the first time I have seen someone make a boat such as this.
I hope you finish this in time for Expo in 5 weeks?  ;D Would love to see it in the plastic
Have you got the weapons sorted out? A 50 cal and a grenade launcher up front in that pit would look pretty small - maybe something a little bigger perhaps? I am no boat or weapons expert, so I can't give you any suggestions sorry.
Can't wait to see this all painted up!
Si

zenrat

Fred

sykotik

it is indeed - June 6-8th I think. I so need to get my finger out and make some progress on my current project if it's to see Expo this year. Somehow I doubt it

Old Wombat

I haven't been around much because, between SWMBO & work, I'm rather short on free time - which I've been putting into the build.

However, thank you for your comments & support, everyone!

PS: I went with a petrol engine because I couldn't find a suitable diesel from the late-60's early-70's time frame in my research, as I didn't think the 180 hp Detroit Diesel 6V53N engines of the PBR 31 were powerful enough for this beast. If any of you know of a suitable light marine diesel in about the 250 hp+ range I'd be happy to change.

Quote from: kerick on April 25, 2015, 09:16:04 PM
Didn't PT boats exhaust into the water for quiet low speed ops? A lot of pleasure boat exhaust into the water.

I've decided on the exhaust venting into the water-jet flow, between the props & the nozzle, so they're quiet & don't interfere with the functioning of the water jet, with ball-valves to stop any back flow.

Quote from: sykotik on April 29, 2015, 04:14:26 AM
I hope you finish this in time for Expo in 5 weeks?  ;D Would love to see it in the plastic
Have you got the weapons sorted out? A 50 cal and a grenade launcher up front in that pit would look pretty small - maybe something a little bigger perhaps? I am no boat or weapons expert, so I can't give you any suggestions sorry.
Can't wait to see this all painted up!
Si

I'm afraid there's Buckley's of me getting to Melbourne for Expo, mate!
Weapons are; 1 x M42 turret with 2 x 40mm Bofors, 1 x M163 turret with 20mm Vulcan cannon, 2 x M2 .50cal's &, if I can work up the enthusiasm to scratch-build them, 2 x Mk.18 hand-cranked 40mm grenade launchers (the Tamiya PBR includes one which can be used as a visual template). I've put the .50's together & I'm working on the M163 turret when I get time.

Well, gotta go!

Thanks to you all, again! :bow: