DONE -Air Lines(FROG)/Marivox 1/72 Miles "Sea Master" scout/fighter floatplane.

Started by CSMO, February 18, 2015, 07:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSMO

I had a set of pylon floats left from my Marivox Saab B.17 dive bomber. I figured the inverted gull wing of a Miles Master would make a good match. I thought of the planes from Disney's cartoon "Tailspin". Time to start whacking plastic. Here it is in mock-up mode. I carved the pylons to match the airfoil and closed up the wheel-well openings. I will be adding extra fin area. I am thinking about cannon armament in the float pylons and possibly a bigger motor. I am still cogitating about paint, markings, and back-story.

More later.

Adios, Larry.

"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

NARSES2

Looks a little like some of the Northrop floatplanes to me. Norwegian AF perhaps ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Yup, the Nomad. Sweden or Finland is also always an option - or create a civil postal aircraft, e. g. for Canada? Some bright colors cannot hurt, and such whifs are rare.
Float pylons look a bit long (at the moment)?

PR19_Kit

LOTS of surplus buoyancy there! But I like the idea nonetheless. I wonder if Miles would have test flown it from the Thames at Reading?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 18, 2015, 09:29:23 AM
LOTS of surplus buoyancy there! But I like the idea nonetheless. I wonder if Miles would have test flown it from the Thames at Reading?  ;D

By the time a bigger engine and cannon are added this bird will need those nice big floats!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

CSMO

The float pylons are not near as tall as the Bf.109 floatplane and they are close to that of the Spitfire floatplane.

Adios, Larry.
"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

CSMO

Construction is complete. I added cannons on the float pylons and a ventral fin. Cowl and motor is from a Hasegawa A6M3 Hamp Zero.
Carb intake moved to top of fuselage. gaps are filled. Interior is OOB with the classic FROG seats. Paint, markings, and backstory is still up in the air.

Adios, Larry.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

I get excited when I see "Sea Master".... but quite a bit different than the 4 jet beauty...

What is the source for the engine/cowl?

Well done.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kerick

Quote from: sandiego89 on February 18, 2015, 02:43:32 PM
I get excited when I see "Sea Master".... but quite a bit different than the 4 jet beauty...

What is the source for the engine/cowl?

Well done.

I thought of the seaplane bomber myself at first.
"Cowl and motor is from a Hasegawa A6M3 Hamp Zero." Fits very well.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Captain Canada

Very nice. I like the guns in the struts as well. Neat idea for sure ! Looks a lot better now, to me anyway, with the new engine.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

jcf

Looks cool Larry.  :)

Seems the folks at Miles made good use of the work done on the M.10 project back in 1935-36.  ;)

Based on M.3B Falcon Six; 35' span, 25' length. Designed to Spec. 35/32 for a replacement for the DH Queen Bee
remote piloted target, Airspeed AS 30 was selected and produced as Queen Wasp. Miles only seaplane project.

ericr

I (almost) always like floatplanizations, this one is a success indeed

CSMO

Miles Sea Master, Argentine Navy. 1945-1956. It was used for coastal patrol and anti-smuggling operations. They were locally modified
Miles Master Mk.IIIs with Saab floats, and Pratt & Whitney R-4100 Yellowjacket motors.

I love Glossy Sea Blue and Yellow. The color scheme was a no-brainer. I brush-painted it Humbrol Glossy Sea Blue, Citadel Yriel Yellow, and Testors Aluminum.

I wanted colorful and Latin American. I had decals for Argentina, Peru, Columbia, Equador, and Venezuela. finding the "Armada" markings decided me on Argentina. The anchors on a Yellow top wing of the Airfix Argentine Walrus really sealed the deal.

Construction of the basic airframe is totally OOB except for moving the carburetor intake to the top of the fuselage.

This has become one of my favorite "What-if?" builds to date.

Adios, Larry.

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit