20,000 ton cruiser sub proposal from 1920 ...

Started by jcf, February 19, 2015, 12:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

US concept from 1920, it was to use multiple parallel pressure hulls because of diameter limitations imposed by available
technology. Main turrets were hemispherical to resist pressure. The smaller turrets carried twin 4"/50 cal guns.

From Friedman, U.S. Submarines Through 1945.

sandiego89

Wow, what a monster- engineering and practicality wise I can see why it never made it past the concept stage.

But in WHIF world, suddenly surfacing and opening up with those 12 inch guns makes for some interesting scenarios....   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

scooter

Then we have this lurking in the AU section of Shipbucket-
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

pyro-manic

Interesting, JCF - is there any clue as to it's intended role? It's very large for a cruiser of any sort, approaching pre-war battleship dimensions, and the armament is an odd choice to say the least. Four 12" is quite strange - not enough for a battleship, but huge calibre for a cruiser.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

jcf

The word 'cruiser' actually has no singular meaning, and in this context is a reference to extended range and endurance
when compared with fleet boats.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

rickshaw

Why am I thinking of the J class of boats when I look at that design, Jon?   I could imagine it being the way ahead if air wasn't a problem but as soon as air is introduced submerging quickly becomes very important.  I'd be tempted to, instead of 12 inch guns to put a load of 20-40mm on top and have it rely on it's torpedoes....
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on February 19, 2015, 01:29:43 PM
The word 'cruiser' actually has no singular meaning, and in this context is a reference to extended range and endurance
when compared with fleet boats.

Yup very much so.

There were a lot of designs for "big gun" subs in the 20/30's and some even made it into hardware. Surcouf for example. However this does look too be the daddy of them
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

ptdockyard

sandiego89

Very nice! That really puts the size it into perspective next to what looks like a Gato.  Well done.

Scratch built?
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Captain Canada

Very nice. I like the camo on that one ! And it is huge !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

ennobee

Seeing the model, it looks more like a 1920's attempt to revive the 1860's monitor.

ptdockyard

The master was scratch built but this is a casting. Yes, that is an early Hato (another one of my castings😊)

Dave G

Weaver

Hell's Bells!  :blink:

First things that strike me:

1. How fast can it submerge? It's big, and it's got steam engines to shut down and seal.

2. How responsive is it in pitch & depth control? At 625 ft it's longer than the maximum safe depth of a typical sub of the period. A 24deg dive angle would have the stern at the surface and the bow at 250ft instantly.

3. How do they shut down and seal the steam plant for underwater running?

The only steam subs to see service were the British K class which were notoriously problematic.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

As a fully qualified pedant (graduate of the Fat Hamster school of pedentry) I feel it my duty to point out that nuclear submarines use steam to turn their turbines.
;D

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..