Kit Spackman in HD on BBC4

Started by Nigel Bunker, February 24, 2015, 02:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: Nick on February 25, 2015, 01:47:24 PM
That was a very good, informative and honest look at British Railways in the postwar era. Too many people wear rose-tinted specs when looking back at the days of steam.

could not agree more nick where kettles are concerned!

Keeper of George the Cat.

lancer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 24, 2015, 03:32:56 PM
Oh gawd, I thought I'd kept that hidden.

Actually that's the seventh TV prog I've done, all on the APT of course. Glad you liked it. :)

So, now you're famous, can I get your autograph next time we cross paths???
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Scooterman

MY GAWD!  He does have a top to his head!  I was expecting a giant brain bulging out of the skull...........

PR19_Kit

Quote from: lancer on February 27, 2015, 02:11:11 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 24, 2015, 03:32:56 PM
Oh gawd, I thought I'd kept that hidden.

Actually that's the seventh TV prog I've done, all on the APT of course. Glad you liked it. :)

So, now you're famous, can I get your autograph next time we cross paths???

No probs.  ;D

I was surprised by the number of railway modellers who wanted my autograph at the November Warley Model Railway Show. I was there as a consultant for the newly announced OO gauge model of the APT-E by Rapido Trains in Canada and I didn't stop talking about it for two days!

Quote from: Scooterman on February 28, 2015, 08:28:02 AM
MY GAWD!  He does have a top to his head!  I was expecting a giant brain bulging out of the skull...........

Hehehe, the mind BOGGLES! The Hat's to keep my head warm (on Doc's orders) not as a brain cover!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

A friend of mine made this little video. I was hoping it would have worked to watch this video but alas, no. Still, it might work for somebody else ! Plus, it can change your IP address to a bunch of different countries so it could be helpful to the general public. We've been using it to watch American Netflix, as the CDN one is super lame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR1O3ro_GiM&feature=share
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Hobbes

Watched this today. The story of the APT seems typically British: excellent engineers solve the principal problems, then don't get the money to develop the result properly. Someone else buys the technology and makes it into a successful business proposition.

(also: I never realized Britain started using overhead power lines for rail in the '60s, I thought it was all third rail... :banghead: )

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Hobbes on March 14, 2015, 01:07:26 PM
Watched this today. The story of the APT seems typically British: excellent engineers solve the principal problems, then don't get the money to develop the result properly. Someone else buys the technology and makes it into a successful business proposition.

(also: I never realized Britain started using overhead power lines for rail in the '60s, I thought it was all third rail... :banghead: )

I suspect that if Maggie Thatcher hadn't been hell bent on privatisation of the railways the APT programme may have got on much better. Perhaps some people in Government thought APT technology was a valuable item and persuaded her that it was worth more to the country by being sold as part of the package than it was worth carrying passengers....

Actually overhead electrification in the UK was in place during WWI, and there were many different systems all running at different voltages and using differing power systems aboard the locos all over the country throughout the '20s - '40s.

The Newport - Shildon line was electrified with a 1500 V DC overhead system in 1914. The 1960's electrification programme was carried out on the West Coast Main Line at 25 kV AC, a much more efficient system, and one that's used on many railway systems all over the world.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Librarian

I can recommend Christian Wolmar's series of Railway histories, they really are very good...even if you're not interested in Rail initially. I've been quietly working my way through them on my Father's advice. Fascinating subject.

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 14, 2015, 04:29:11 PM
Actually overhead electrification in the UK was in place during WWI, and there were many different systems all running at different voltages and using differing power systems aboard the locos all over the country throughout the '20s - '40s.

I never knew that. All my journey's as a child would have been by steam on the main line, diesel when up North and third rail around London.

Now was the 3rd rail system restricted to the London and S.E. corner of the country plus London Underground or did other companies use it ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

There were some other 3rd rail systems in different parts of the country, around Liverpool and the Wirral being just one. Of course the London Underground near you uses a 4 th rail system with the centre rail being the return path, unlike the 3rd system which uses the running rails themselves as the return path. The LU only uses 450 V or thereabouts though.

The big problem with 3rd rail is that it's limited to 600V or thereabouts as it's so close to the ground. For more efficient higher voltages they had to go to the overhead systems, but they took time to develop. There are some overhead systems that use 600 - 750 V though, usually tram systems as used in Nottingham and on your local Croydon Tramlink Chris.

See, it's educational here too.  ;D

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.