Not Out Of the Box (NOOB2)

Started by Caveman, February 24, 2015, 10:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caveman

I don't know if this counts as a scratch build. Essentially this is a card model built from plans downloaded from teh internetz, except that I've stuck the paper to some plasticard. Definitely a whif though Anyone guess what it is?

secretprojects forum migrant

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Spey_Phantom

im gonna say either Have Blue (F-117 prototype/demonstrator) or the eads lampyridae  :mellow:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Caveman

Very close nils! I'm building this model as a test to see if I can before trying a TDEFS.

Hobbes

That's the Hopeless Diamond  :thumbsup:

I did a Lampyridae a while ago, I'm looking forward to your TDEFS.

Caveman

It is! TDEFS will hopefully be in the 1 true scale, just went 1:48 with this because I thought it'd be easier but not too large

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

A project by DASA for a stealthy aircraft, more or less a follow-on to the MBB Lampyridae.

(from http://www.hitechweb.genezis.eu/stealth4e.htm)

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2310.0

Edit: That's odd, the wrong link ended up in my post. Trying again.

PR19_Kit

That's an RF5, we have one at my gliding club...........

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Agree, sure looks like "Hopeless Diamond", an early Lockheed design for what eventually became Have Blue and then the F-117 Stealth Fighter. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Caveman

Quote from: sandiego89 on February 25, 2015, 01:08:00 PM
Agree, sure looks like "Hopeless Diamond", an early Lockheed design for what eventually became Have Blue and then the F-117 Stealth Fighter. 

Glad you think it looks like hopeless diamond, that's what I'm shooting for! I've got a question with regards to the inlets. On an f117 the inlet has a mesh grid, I want to emulate that but I've got no idea how to scratch build it. Any suggestions guys?

kerick

I've seen some photo etch screen in different sizes at the hobby store. Otherwise fine mesh screen from a hardware store.

This may help.
http://www.grainger.com/category/wire-cloth/wire-cloth/raw-materials/ecatalog/N-aygZ1z0lq2o

This company is good for US and maybe Canada. Maybe there is a European equivalent.

Couple of grills here that might work.
http://www.detailmaster.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=90d84c13d4bcf3b99cc0f09548bf94dd&Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=detailmaster&Category_Code=DM-PhotoEtchedParts

I googled photo etch screen and fine mesh screen and got a bunch of sources.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Captain Canada

That TDEFS is really cool looking. I like it alot more than that Mako...just looks too dainty that one.

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sandiego89

Agree a fine mesh screen is a good way to go for the inlet screen.  Window screen material, or something more robust.  Go with the smallish grid.  Window material is often sold by the foot. A fine metal or synthetic mesh will work.   Go the local hardware store and see if they will sell you a few inches, or find a small window screen repair kit- a box with a few small square sheets of flat screen material. Also go to the plumbing section and you will fine some really fine mesh used in sink faucet applications, metal and plastic.  You can cut to shape with tin snips.   

You would go bonkers trying to scratch something together with strips of metal or plastic and would likely wind up with a a ball of sticky mess and your fingers glued together.     
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

zenrat

What scale is this and how fine is the mesh IRL?
I ask because for a fine mesh on a 1/72 build you could get away with building the intakes "solid" and printing a decal of mesh (or even just print onto paper and glue it on).

Looking back at your picture it may be too large for that.
Try model car/truck aftermarket parts suppliers (such as detail master who Kerick has pointed you at) or goggle Photo Etch Mesh.

Or, do you know anyone who is about to buy a new electric razor?  The mesh screen on them is nice and fine and could be just what you need.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..