FAA Skyhawk - near Cuba 1962 FINISHED!

Started by Weaver, February 27, 2015, 07:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Quote from: rickshaw on March 04, 2015, 10:47:20 PM
Quote from: Weaver on March 04, 2015, 10:13:36 PM
An A-4E (closer, performance and pylon-wise to my whiff aircraft) had, with two 300 gal tanks,  a disposable warload of 3,386 lb. The centreline station was rated at 3,500 lb and the outers at 1,000 lb each. Red Beard only weighed 1,750lb so it should have been no problem on the centreline (A-4s routinely carried a heavier Mk.84 there) and that leaves plenty of margin for a couple of light stores on the outers.

How much do the two 300 gallon tanks weigh when loaded?

Don't know, but that 3,386 lb figure was in addition to the tanks.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: Thorvic on March 04, 2015, 11:44:09 PM
I would still go with clean outer Pylons or not even fit them, as the FAA didn't have the ECM pods and wouldn't carry Sidewinders on a bombing mission as it is 1962 after all. Its got guns for self defence and other aircraft would provide the CAP and possibly an Avenger might do rudimentary ECW.

There's a pic of a Scimitar with a Red Beard and at least one Sidewinder...

I'm currently thinking of one AIM-9B and one chaff pod. I agree that it's too early for an ECM pod.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Re the serials, the RAF of the period ignored the existence of the landing gear and slapped the serials on right over the top of the doors, wherever they happened to be.

viz. the Hunter and Vampire/Venom, which are always real bitches to model with the gear down as you have to cut the serial decals up into zillions of bits to fit the doors.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 09, 2015, 04:42:20 PM
Re the serials, the RAF of the period ignored the existence of the landing gear and slapped the serials on right over the top of the doors, wherever they happened to be.

viz. the Hunter and Vampire/Venom, which are always real bitches to model with the gear down as you have to cut the serial decals up into zillions of bits to fit the doors.

Yes, but the thing with the Skyhawk is that the undercarriage "doors" are actually raised fairings that stand proud of the lower wing surface even when they're closed. It's physically impossible to paint the lettering on over them without either distorting it by painting up the sides of the fairing or breaking it it up by not doing.

- Indiana Jones

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Dizzyfugu

My choice would be #1, classic style; this could also be modified in two ways: a) split the letters and the digits into two lines (Harrier-style, behind the inner pylons), or try to follow the wings' leading edge? Not certain if this makes the code more visible, but could be valid, too?

NARSES2

No 1 for me (however I've not got to do it) as it's the "proper" way and if not No 4 as that looks pragmatic enough for the FAA
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Don't worry about the pylons obstructing the code.  Most RN and RAF aircraft had all manner of things obscuring them, including the Buccaneers slipper tanks.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

darthspud

I put mine either side of the u/c bays, one facing fwd , one facing aft. I can't link the thread but it is titled a few I finished  or similar.
too old for a paper round, too young for me pensions, dammit, back to work then!

Weaver

Quote from: darthspud on March 10, 2015, 11:59:12 AM
I put mine either side of the u/c bays, one facing fwd , one facing aft. I can't link the thread but it is titled a few I finished  or similar.

This one? http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,40031.0/highlight,few.html

I think you and Dizzyfugu are on to something here: Harrier-style in two rows fits nicely in the rectangle between the outer pylon and the u/c fairing, and as Mossie has pointed out, obscuration by stores wasn't taken into account on other aircraft.

I'm going to knock up some more roughs to see how it looks after tea.

- Indiana Jones

darthspud

5 years on a harrier base not completely wasted with german lager and alcohol abuse , great! Happy to offer a small tidbit of suggestion.
too old for a paper round, too young for me pensions, dammit, back to work then!

Weaver

Okay, how about this? I've made the blue darker so it's easier to see, but the final decals would still be light blue.

- Indiana Jones

KiwiZac

That's it!

What font is that, BTW? It looks pretty spot on.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Weaver

Quote from: KiwiZac on March 10, 2015, 05:28:48 PM
That's it!

What font is that, BTW? It looks pretty spot on.

It is actually the right font, downloaded from here: http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/forums/downloads.php?do=cat&id=2  It's called RAF_PW_ATH

- Indiana Jones

sandiego89

Quote from: Thorvic on March 04, 2015, 11:44:09 PM
I would still go with clean outer Pylons or not even fit them, as the FAA didn't have the ECM pods and wouldn't carry Sidewinders on a bombing mission as it is 1962 after all. Its got guns for self defence and other aircraft would provide the CAP and possibly an Avenger might do rudimentary ECW.

Sorry, late to the comment on the loadout, but I agree with Thorvic- nothing on the outer pylons, (keep the pylons) You have enough drag with the red beard and twin 300 gallon tanks.  Strike of that period was often just that- no "fight your way in" and you do have the guns.  Too many models have the max load with every pylon filled, and it is less realistic, and I think it detracts from your main emphasis of the centerline store. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA