'Crazy Paving' paint

Started by PR19_Kit, February 28, 2015, 06:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Soon after I'd finished my Canberra MR23 in 2009 signs of 'crazy paving cracks in the upper fuselage white paint started to appear, and less than a year on it had got so bad I decided not to show the model any more.

By now it's grown to ridiculous proportions, so much so that I can get my thumb nail down the crack that I've marked in the pic below! Both the white paint, my usual Halfords Appliance White, and the Klear coat have cracked. I've used the same technique countless numbers of times on my airliner models and I've never seen the problem before.

Has anyone else ever seen this and if so is there a way to avoid it please?

I'm  coming to the conclusion that the only way out of it is to do a very careful strip of the white bits and re-paint and decal the model.  :banghead:

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

.....and if you know of an easy way to strip the Halford's Appliance White, PLEASE let me know.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on February 28, 2015, 08:08:08 AM
.....and if you know of an easy way to strip the Halford's Appliance White, PLEASE let me know.

Jim

Yeah, I know the feeling Jim. I did it once on a DC10 and it took 240 grit wet and dry AND some paint stripper as well!  :banghead:

Quote from: Gondor on February 28, 2015, 08:36:35 AM
Pollyfiller?

Gondor

Actually that's not a bad idea Alastair! It might be worth a skim layer of putty, re-sand and re-paint etc.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kerick

Are the cracks still getting bigger? If so then putty would be a waste of time.

Looks like a bad batch of paint to me. Better to get rid of it. I know, easy to say, hard to do.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

Looks like Acrylic clear over enamel paint to me.
The enamel continues to gas out for ages causing the clear to crack.
I have a few cars that's happening to.
I'd display it.  It gives it the gravitas of age...

If you put it in the stripping tank (brake fluid in this case) and then pull it out prematurely, wash it off and then hit it with satin clear you could get something like this.

Always make the most out of a build stuff up I say.
This one in particular had to be saved as it was one of my "ashtray" builds.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on March 01, 2015, 02:29:21 AM
Looks like Acrylic clear over enamel paint to me.

I'm afraid not.

Both Halfords Appliance White and Klear are acrylics, and the same technique has worked perfectly on many of my airliners before.

Regards
Kit

jcf

The Halfords spray is an acrylic resin lacquer dissolved in hydrocarbon solvents, the Klear/Future is an
acrylic resin suspension in glycol/alcohol/water etc. The two are very different.

Acrylic refers to the chemistry of the resin used in the paint, it has nothing to do with how it is thinned.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on March 01, 2015, 08:59:49 AM
The Halfords spray is an acrylic resin lacquer dissolved in hydrocarbon solvents, the Klear/Future is an
acrylic resin suspension in glycol/alcohol/water etc. The two are very different.

Acrylic refers to the chemistry of the resin used in the paint, it has nothing to do with how it is thinned.

Yeah, yeah.....

But the point is I've used the SAME paint/varnish mix COUNTLESS times before and since and it works perfectly, as it has for many other modellers.

So why did it go wrong this one single time?

Regards
Kit

Go4fun

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 01, 2015, 09:05:50 AM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on March 01, 2015, 08:59:49 AM

Yeah, yeah.....

But the point is I've used the SAME paint/varnish mix COUNTLESS times before and since and it works perfectly, as it has for many other modellers.

So why did it go wrong this one single time?
It could be as simple as different humidity conditions.
"Just which planet are you from again"?

jcf

As Go4 states it could be a matter of humidity; the Halfords wasn't as cured as it seemed; the
Klear cured too quickly, etc., etc.

Also were the Halfords and the Klear from batches of the same age as the times it worked well?

The formulas of a lot of paints, and 'floor finishes', have been tweaked in the last decade to
meet various requirements.

PR19_Kit

The humidity could have been the issue, although it doesn't vary all that much in these parts.

The Klear I use is all from the original formulation and I have four bottles of it in store as the newer version is rubbish for our purposes. I've built other models with the same rattle can of Halfords and the same Klear bottle and they're still OK.

It was so long ago I built it, March-April 2009, that I can't remember the weather then, but it may have been the humidity.

Regards
Kit

major

Humidity, different curing rates, contamination, expansion and contraction of the styrene, can all contribute!
Have had similar experiences when painting plastics and metal parts on various motorcycles. Using the same paints, on different parts, some would develop that 'crazy paving'. 
Only way to fix it, i'm sorry to say, is to strip it back. :banghead: 

Captain Canada

That sucks ! No idea what causes it, but the aforementioned reasons sound about right. My only advice would be to try different primers or primer/ paint combos.

:banghead:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

As there appears to be a darker shade showing through the cracks it may be that the issue is not the white but what lies beneath?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..