Kerbal Space Program videos: KSP-2 is dead, long live KSP-1 (maybe?)

Started by Weaver, February 28, 2015, 07:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Being passed by your own debris is always an issue. The other night, I was trying to recover a reusable booster design consisting of a central tank with parachutes at the ends and pairs of engines in radial pods that were designed to separate after re-entry and land independently on their own 'chutes. After the kinetic heating died off and the speed had dropped sufficiently, I popped off the engine pods and just caught a glimpse of something going 'bang' as they went off the edge of the screen. With no time to look around, I popped the 'chutes on the main tank, and then two seconds later, something smashed clean through it and blew it up so fast that I couldn't see what it was, leaving me with two separate sets of parachute packs falling, very slowly now, in parallel.

Checking the Flight Events Log (aka the 'Post Mortem Report' to KSP players) revealed that two of the engine pods had collided after separation, smashing the parachute module off one of them before it deployed, and thus leaving the engines trailing in the wake of the tank, still at full speed, like two four-tonne bullets. When I'd popped the chutes on the tank it had slowed down very quickly and the engines flew right into it...

Yep, shot myself down with my own engines..... :banghead:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Weaver

Heads up for anybody who just plays the game but doesn't keep up with the drama:

Last Tuesday, most of the developers quit Squad. The dispute seems to be about pay but I don't know all the ins and outs of it. The future of the game is now uncertain, since even if Squad recruit a new team, they won't have the same in-depth knowledge and history with the game that the original team had. Many of the people who've quit are also involved in maintaining key mods.

If I were you, I'd grab all the latest versions, mods etc.. while you can. I'm currently downloading v1.2 while I'm typing this.

Meanwhile, here's a livesteam where Scott Manley talks a little about this, while building a quad-copter Lockheed Salmon and flying 1/3 of the way to space with an upside-down one-bladed two-component helicopter (like you do).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PqClNxM58M&feature=em-uploademail

He starts talking about the developer resignation situation at about 39:00.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Weaver

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Scott Manley's got back to KSP with a new campaign series.

Loads of mods, ridiculously high ambitions and some very err, Kerbal designing and flying (and swimming) in episode one.  ;)

Galileo Conquest - Episode 1 - Where Am I? https://youtu.be/9N0fbxpoMWM

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

If only this worked in real life.....  :wacko:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AKdTj5Pgvs

EDIT: he's refined it to the point where it will take off in 1G:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAjkxugThe0

;D

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Billy Winn Jr. makes a Fairey Rotordyne: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM_z5e4G_OA

Billy's a damn good KSP vid maker, who really thinks outside the box when designing stuff.

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

That was pretty darn good.  :thumbsup:

But the real 'dyne did have the main rotor running in forward flight. It's just that it wasn't under power then and worked like an autogyro's rotor.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 22, 2017, 05:28:43 AM
That was pretty darn good.  :thumbsup:

But the real 'dyne did have the main rotor running in forward flight. It's just that it wasn't under power then and worked like an autogyro's rotor.

Yeah, I left a comment to that effect under the video. I think he's recently done a Sikorsky stopped-rotor design, which is where the confusion arises.

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Cupcake Landers is back with an awesomely produced flying wing aerobatics video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za-ZTlQpR2Q

Doubtless the craft is as 'cheaty' as most of his others, but since he only uses them to produce cinematics like this rather than claim achievements, nobody cares.

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Another epic from Cupcake Landers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nAOEcsWw98

Anyone who's actually played the game will appreciate just how much work must have gone into making all the sets for this. :thumbsup:

- Indiana Jones