Hustling the Hustler

Started by tc2324, March 01, 2015, 01:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc2324

Ye gods..., I`m actually posting a whif WIP.....  :blink:  ;D

Some of you older folk may remember my 1/72 scale days long ago and the whif-tastic, (or should that be crazy...?), ideas, I had back in those days making all sorts of stuff.

One build really grabbed my attention.....,

So much so, that I felt you need to revisit this idea for a What If GB on another forum.

But this time.....,     it`s gonna be bigger and better.......

Hopefully, in the years since the 1/72 days, I`ve improved my skills and I can produce a better rendition of it.

So first things first......, how big is this thing gonna get?

Well...., I used a 1/48 EE Lightning for scale and the main question I now have is..................,

..........  where the hell am I going to store it when finished....???
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

FAR148

Quote from: tc2324 on March 01, 2015, 01:52:50 PM
..........  where the hell am I going to store it when finished....???

Yeah, I feel your pain. One of my many future projects is a 48th scale B-29 :blink: No idea where to put it. It's flipping huge! Butanywho... What are your ideas/plans for your Hustler? I've always been fascinated by the 58, such a large and fast aircraft for her day.

Happy modeling,
Steven L :cheers:

Cobra

Just Wondering, Are You planning to Go Gerry Anderson with it? Keep it up & Stay Cool. Dan

Captain Canada

Wow...this is going to be so cool ! Love the original. Also like the Lightning ! I can't wait to build my kit of that one. Yours looks perfect.

Looking forward to seeing some more pics !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kerick

Will you replace the J-79s with Speys?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

sandiego89

Nice.  Looks like you used the upper pod only on the 1/72 version, does the 1/48 kit give you the option for a one or two componant pod? 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

McColm

Wow!
I had a secondhand 1/48 B-29 and I know how large that was. It's now used by one of my mates as a weather vane on top of his shed.

Weaver

Nice one!

You know, that's just begging to be scaleorama'd to 1/72nd with an F-111 canopy..... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

tc2324

The main answer to most of your questions is that I`m building this pretty much to the same specification and scheme as the 1/72 model I did before. Hopefully, just a little bit better.

I might look at adding a few items though, just to give it that `RAF` look and also I might be looking at a different weapons layout, more of which is discussed below.

Quote from: sandiego89 on March 02, 2015, 05:33:21 AM
Nice.  Looks like you used the upper pod only on the 1/72 version, does the 1/48 kit give you the option for a one or two componant pod?  

You pretty much get everything with the kit, the four B43 or B61 nuclear weapons, the MB-1C pod which is the smaller one and the TCP (Two Component Pod), which placed the nuclear weapon in an upper section while the lower fuel component could be independently jettisoned.

I`m kinda playing with the idea of what the mission profile might of been with this aircraft.

By the early 70`s any nuclear strike would have been a low level dash followed by the steep climb to `lob` the weapon at the target before either returning to base or moving onto the next target again at low level.

With that in mind, I`m thinking the RAF may have gone for a standard central fuel tank to extend the range with the four nuclear free fall/lob weapons.

Saying that, why not bung on a couple of cruise missile pylons between the engines and increase your weapons delivery by two and improve your stand off capability while your at it?

Any and all ideas/comments welcome.
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

sandiego89

Quote from: tc2324 on March 03, 2015, 03:25:55 AM

Quote from: sandiego89 on March 02, 2015, 05:33:21 AM
Nice.  Looks like you used the upper pod only on the 1/72 version, does the 1/48 kit give you the option for a one or two componant pod?  

You pretty much get everything with the kit, the four B43 or B61 nuclear weapons, the MB-1C pod which is the smaller one and the TCP (Two Component Pod), which placed the nuclear weapon in an upper section while the lower fuel component could be independently jettisoned.

I`m kinda playing with the idea of what the mission profile might of been with this aircraft.

By the early 70`s any nuclear strike would have been a low level dash followed by the steep climb to `lob` the weapon at the target before either returning to base or moving onto the next target again at low level.

With that in mind, I`m thinking the RAF may have gone for a standard central fuel tank to extend the range with the four nuclear free fall/lob weapons.

Saying that, why not bung on a couple of cruise missile pylons between the engines and increase your weapons delivery by two and improve your stand off capability while your at it?

Any and all ideas/comments welcome.

Thanks.  Looks like a nice kit, with good options for the bombs and the two componant pod.  I agree that the 4 free fall weapons and the central tank would be a good fit for an RAF aircraft. Maybe 4x WE177 on the fuselage stations.   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Weaver

Well if the RAF could afford Hustlers, maybe they could afford a decent stand-off missile to go with it? Why not convert the external tank into a missile with wings and jet/ramjet pods?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

TallEng

Would a Blue steel missile fit?
The under fuselage shapes remind me very much of Blue Steel now I think about it ;D
I've got a 1/72 Hustler and a Blue Steel somewhere......

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Weaver

Quote from: TallEng on March 03, 2015, 06:50:40 AM
The under fuselage shapes remind me very much of Blue Steel now I think about it ;D

Regards
Keith

They're similar shapes but much bigger, which would be appropriate for a decent stand-off missile. To compensate for the range reduction implied by replacing the tank with a missile, the latter would have to have a much longer range than Blue Steel.

- Indiana Jones

TallEng

Quote from: Weaver on March 03, 2015, 08:11:46 AM
Quote from: TallEng on March 03, 2015, 06:50:40 AM

Regards
Keith

They're similar shapes but much bigger, which would be appropriate for a decent stand-off missile. To compensate for the range reduction implied by replacing the tank with a missile, the latter would have to have a much longer range than Blue Steel.

That would be Blue steel II (cancelled)  :o Wiki says a developed Blue Steel could go 900NMI (1700Km)
although wether they mean Blue steel (original) or the proposed Mk II isn't clear.
still as its a Wiff......

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Captain Canada

I had never noticed the upper wing before...funny how you can miss somat like that. Then again, this is an aeroplane I have never built. Almost bought one in Austin with Scooterman and the gang. Wished I would have !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?