Hustling the Hustler

Started by tc2324, March 01, 2015, 01:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc2324

Cockpit and clam shell ejection seat have been completed....,

All very `grey` I`m afraid. The lovely bright red on the escape capsule only showed when activated.

And now for a few issues that highlight the kits age.

First up is the join/gap where the upper wing and upper fuselage meet.

The port side looks good....

..... starboard.., not so much...!

Next up are the engine nacelles....,

... gaps a plenty and lots of join ridges.

Don`t get me wrong, these are all fixable. But I proves that the kit itself is getting on a bit and needs an update or new tool. This is far to an iconic aircraft design to be ignored.

More soon.
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

McColm

Would make a great seaplane version based on some drawings from Convair-San Diego.

Captain Canada

Gaps a plenty ! Looks like a lot of work but I bet it will be worth it. Nice work on the cockpit.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Curse you TC.
I just have to see this thread title and I get this installed on my cerebral jukebox.

Go on, click here...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on March 06, 2015, 12:01:08 AM
Curse you TC.
I just have to see this thread title and I get this installed on my cerebral jukebox.

Go on, click here...

Oh crumbs, it's 1975 again!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

tc2324

The front u/c is starting to look very good and I haven`t even finished building it all yet. Just a shame that the doors when attached will hide a lot of it.

I did not scrimp on the ballast forward of the C of G. There`s nowhere else to add extra if you judge it wrong.

... and with a couple of paint pots to act as the main u/c, it looks like I`ve got it sorted out ok.

The following picture however proves that there is a lot of work to be had to make it all look `tidy`.

The milestone in this update being that the main components of the build are together.

Tiger, Tiger!

zenrat

That's not a front undercarriage it's a dissertation in Structural Engineering.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

tc2324

Managed to get some time today to do a few more bits to the Hustler. Started the new job in the city on Monday so it`s been a bit `full on` getting to know as much as I can in a short space of time.

Due to the age of the kit, some bits were quite brittle which led to a section on the leading edge shattering when it caught the side of the work top. All rather annoying, but easily fixed within 24 hours.

I`ve always heard that the SR-71 was a bit `gappy` when on the ground and it seems this Hustler kit, (from what I`ve heard and seen myself...), is just the same. Plenty of gaps that need attention with either glue or green putty depending on size and width.

So where does this all leave me?

Well...., by all accounts and as seen from a distance, the fit is rather good.

To my eye anyway.

Tiger, Tiger!

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

tc2324

As mentioned..., somewhere?...., new job, spending time with the kids seem to be getting in the way of making models, but today I final started the spraying....

Tiger, Tiger!

sandiego89

Quote from: tc2324 on March 19, 2015, 03:23:22 PM
but today I final started the spraying....

Ohhh, that is looking good.....
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

tc2324

A few more pictures showing some extra painted parts that`s starting to add to the overall look. These pictures also highlight how big this kit is.

Tiger, Tiger!

McColm