Hustling the Hustler

Started by tc2324, March 01, 2015, 01:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiZac

Ah, I like this kit a lot more with paint on! (not a reflection on your building skills, just the kit itself!)

RAF Hustlers look so much better to me than the silver real ones, and this proves the rule to me. The anti-glare panel and big black radome, too. Bravo!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

sandiego89

Quote from: KiwiZac on March 25, 2015, 12:11:48 PM
Ah, I like this kit a lot more with paint on! (not a reflection on your building skills, just the kit itself!)

RAF Hustlers look so much better to me than the silver real ones, and this proves the rule to me. The anti-glare panel and big black radome, too. Bravo!

Agree. Although several aircraft are much better known, or flew almost exclusively in NFM, I opine that most look better with some paint, even it is just an anti-flash belly.

P-80 looked great in olive drab with the prototype as did the very early B-29's. Hustlers, B-36s, early B-52s, B-47's, Air defense Voodoo's, F-86, Soviet bombers, Early Mirages, Early EE Lightning, Many MiG 15/17/21 and Sukhois etc. are most well known in NMF, but looked much better with some color.  Hard to bet some of the exotic African MiG schemes for looking so much more interesting than their NNF versions. 

The Hustler got close to SEAsia scheme when muted as a flight lead for Vietnam, and even had a few drawings made up, but was pretty boring color wise throughout it's real career.     
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Captain Canada

What a beauty. Thanks for the update pics....nice to see all that 'lead' you're using for ballast !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

tc2324

With the canopy/cockpit complete and the sqn markings in place, it`s starting to look the part.

74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

PR19_Kit

Oh YES! That's looking the business!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Sure does. Love the look of this one.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sandiego89

Gets better and better....
Dave "Sandiego89"

tc2324

So the main airframe has now been completed.

Decals all on and varnish coats applied. This kit really is in need of an update as the raised panel lines mean that any type of wash is all but useless. If unlike me, you love rescribing, then it`s certainly a kit for you. The wash however has give the model a `used` look with a couple of `stains` here and there.

Now I need to fit the u/c doors which after dry fitting may be a tad probmatic as they appear to be on the thick side to fit inbetween the u/c legs and fuselage.

Tiger, Tiger!

PR19_Kit

You LIKE re-scribing?  :o

Erm, how do I put this................... Can I post a bunch of my kits off to you for 'treatment' before I build them please?

The Hustler's looking better by the day.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

tc2324

Ok chaps, finished pics are done and this will be on display at the Newark Cockpit Fest on the Saturday in June if you wish to see it in the flesh.

Glad I got this done in 1/48, although as already mentioned, the mould really is in need of an update. As you can guess the finished article is big. The width is about the same as a 1/72 Lanc or B-17, but it`s the length that`s the main displaying issue. (No sniggering at the back thank you.....)

So with no further ado........

Convair B-58K Hustler
617 Squadron RAF
RAF Marham

Tiger, Tiger!

Steel Penguin

looks very cool  :thumbsup:  and very fast, sat still
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Hman

"Lusaka Tower, this is Green Leader..."

FAR148

She looks very natural.

Well done :thumbsup:

sandiego89

Turned out great!

I put her in for a Whiffie.  Nice job

-Dave

Dave "Sandiego89"

NARSES2

She looks good in that scheme she also looks bigger to me as well. Must be the camouflage tricking the eye into thinking she's bigger then one in NMF. Either that or it's all the rolly polly pudding at those mess night diners  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.