Purchases limited by Backpack Size Query

Started by Cobra, March 02, 2015, 03:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Hey Guys, have you ever had to Carefully Decide what Models You'd because of Backpack Capacity? I sometimes have to Decide about buying Models because I'm Not Sure What i can Get Into my Backpack. What Say You? Thanks for Looking. Dan

Captain Canada

I took the new Italeri Sunderland lid off, and flattened it. Then I cut up some sprues and folded the top corners down of the bottom box.....LHS guy thought I was crazy !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Backpack? What's one of them?

I never use one, just carry the model box in my hand, or under my arm if need be.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

I once decided I wasn't going to buy cheap Tu-22 Blinders at Modelzone because I was on my motorbike and they were just too big to carry..... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kerick

You've never been to Asia. I saw an entire family, mom, dad two kids and the baby all on one motorbike in Bangkok.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Bungle

Quote from: Cobra on March 02, 2015, 03:29:11 AM
Hey Guys, have you ever had to Carefully Decide what Models You'd because of Backpack Capacity? I sometimes have to Decide about buying Models because I'm Not Sure What i can Get Into my Backpack.

It's not the size of the backpack that's the issue it's what I can smuggle past SWMBO. I have agreed to a monthly maximum spend (with no carry overs) so some times I need to come up with a cunning plan or two. Like Weaver I have problems with a  Tu-22 Blinder. Sticking it down the trousers doesn't work as a concealment plan.
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

sandiego89

Size has been a limiting factor in some of my hobby shop visits when traveling on buisiness.  My all time favorite is the Ace Hardware store in Berkeley California, USA- it has one of the few remaining old model store feels to it.  Last trip there I carefully pondered what would fit in my suitcase and carry on, found a few 1/144 and small small 1/72 aircraft and the like that could just fit in the suitcase... but then a 1/72 K2 Victor at a super cheap price jumped off the shelf and begged me to take it home  ;D - and has a huge box, so I had to think fast- all planning went out the window, bought the K2, and about 5 other kits, a box, and walked down to the post office and mailed myself a present  :thumbsup:  
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

While I was in Minneapolis on one of the numerous occasions I went there in the last 35 yrs or so, Monogram released their monster 1/72 full stack Shuttle kit, so I figured it'd be cheaper to buy one while I was there. However none of the umpteen model shops in the area had one, except the one en route to the airport on my way home!  :banghead:

So I bought the kit and headed for my flight, but with the kit as hand baggage as there was NO way it would fit in my suitcase. I asked the check-in girl if I could take it as checked baggage and she said 'I wouldn't recommend it sir, I'm sure some of our baggage handers are modellers.....' so I carried it aboard. The Chief Flight Attendant gave me a sideways look as I struggled through the DC10's door with my carry-on bag over one shoulder and the Shuttle kit under the other arm and said 'So you bought your own lifeboat with you?'  ;D

She said she'd find a place to stash it for me '....well away from the flight deck or they'll have built it by the time we get to Gatwick!'  ;D

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Steel Penguin

yes and no....
my normal show bag is a bright red 45L rucksack ( the guys will have seen this) its useful as if im with my wife she uses it to help spot me if we separate ( wargaming wife and shows occasionally we spot different things the "ohh shiny" takes over and we have to find each other again.)
the trick is wile the main part is big ( it swallows the Saladin Ac box and the Tamiya Brachiosaur box  both 1:35)  the compression straps arnt sewn to the front so I can then add more boxes to them, and still add a box or 2 under the  top cover
if I remember rightly I got 3 airfix 1:48 warrior kits in it and another 2 or 3 outside.
and as  captain Canada says, if push comes to shove, and it ever gets that bad, the boxes will get cut up or dumped, and the plastic will come home without them.   :thumbsup:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

kerick

Tophe the Wise

Runway ? ...

I keep one of these on hand.

You'll struggle to fully inflate a double airbed in there but that's just my problem.

Go4fun

Let me tell you about the time I went to the grocery store and did two weeks shopping then stopped at the hobby shop.
It was all going fine until I realized I had used my BICYCLE and not my car to get there. :blink: :banghead:
"Just which planet are you from again"?

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 02, 2015, 10:00:16 AM

So I bought the kit and headed for my flight, but with the kit as hand baggage as there was NO way it would fit in my suitcase. I asked the check-in girl if I could take it as checked baggage and she said 'I wouldn't recommend it sir, I'm sure some of our baggage handers are modellers.....' so I carried it aboard. The Chief Flight Attendant gave me a sideways look as I struggled through the DC10's door with my carry-on bag over one shoulder and the Shuttle kit under the other arm and said 'So you bought your own lifeboat with you?'  ;D

She said she'd find a place to stash it for me '....well away from the flight deck or they'll have built it by the time we get to Gatwick!'  ;D

LMFAO -  ;D :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: kerick on March 02, 2015, 08:12:31 AM
You've never been to Asia. I saw an entire family, mom, dad two kids and the baby all on one motorbike in Bangkok.

Problem was, I wasn't in Bangkok, I was in Manchester. You'd only see that here if you were lucky enough to see it before a policeman did...

- Indiana Jones